What If New York City Were Suddenly Gone?

Pariah

Yeah, to really end New York once and for all you would literally have to leave a crater that the ocean filled in afterward.  An 850-meter iron asteroid coming in at 28 km/s would leave a crater 850 meters deep and about 16.5 km in diameter, which ought to do the trick.  But the blast wave from that devastates a substantial area around the crater as well: the flash sets everything on fire for more than a hundred miles, and that kind of transcends just destroying NYC by itself.

Well, I can dream, I guess.

5 hours ago, Badger said:

Well, you do have to sacrifice New York state and a chunk of the NE.

But, well, worth the sacrifice.

Considering that I'd probably get caught in the blast wave, I'm going to make sure your afterlife involves you mating with an Ewok and raising a family of them. :D

8 hours ago, Badger said:

On the other hand, if people just up and disappeared from a place, you'd have to be crazy to move there.

Oh come on, whatever happened to those people it's obviously a once in a lifetime thing - probably once a millenium!

I'm sure it's quite safe.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says there's no way we're going to suddenly up and van -

20 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I mean, it's not like people keep living in known earthquake zones, near volcanoes, or where they're likely to be hit by hurricanes...

“There’s no point in acting surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth years, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now. … What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the demolition beams.”

12 hours ago, IndianaJoe3 said:

Considering that I'd probably get caught in the blast wave, I'm going to make sure your afterlife involves you mating with an Ewok and raising a family of them. :D

Considering I live in VA, I might not be far enough away myself, at least from the fallout.  ;)

But, can we at least agree anything that takes out DC, would be worth the sacrifice.

10 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

“There’s no point in acting surprised about it. All the planning charts and demolition orders have been on display at your local planning department in Alpha Centauri for 50 of your Earth years, so you’ve had plenty of time to lodge any formal complaint and it’s far too late to start making a fuss about it now. … What do you mean you’ve never been to Alpha Centauri? Oh, for heaven’s sake, mankind, it’s only four light years away, you know. I’m sorry, but if you can’t be bothered to take an interest in local affairs, that’s your own lookout. Energize the demolition beams.”

Come on, it's enough of a headache to take a 2-3 hour drive to visit family.  You think I'm bothering with that hellish** road trip.

**Besides I've seen Event Horizon  

1 hour ago, assault said:

Maybe if you assumed that the Rapture wasn't a one time event... but the theology involved might fall under the category of "crazy".

Ehh, I'm a Christian, and I don't really go for the Rapture.  Too "get out of jail free" when "persevering through suffering" is a strong point of the faith.