Alter-Ego

薔薇語

I have a player wanting to do something akin to Blacksuit Spiderman. His PC has all their normal abilities but there exists a nudging force just beyond their control trying to take over and be violent. 

My question is this: How should I best emulate this? My first thought was merely Accidental Change with the change being purely RolePlay or granting me, the GM, temporary control. 

Has anyone had experience with this kind of thing? Any advice going into this? Is AC the best or perhaps a Psychological Complication? Any other advice?

La Rose. 

I went looking through the Master List of Disadvantages now called Complications (see link below)

http://www.cellularsmoke.net/rpgs/masterlistdisads.php

I didn't see anything that stood out as a particularly good Psych lim but you may...

You could have the Accidental Change happen off camera; where you have the character wake up really tired the next day, as though he hadn't slept.  And the AC was something that happened over the last few hours.  A mystery for the team to unravel!

That last comment is your qualifier, right there: the player's (or rather, the Character's) level of personal control.  That's going be a huge factor in deciding both: what happens when he loses it (is it an Enraged / Berserk, or is it more or a Mind Control thing?).

It's also going to tell you how he fights it: does he get Recovery / Breakout rolls at regular intervals, or is it more story-driven and he just becomes a GMPC for a time?

6 hours ago, 薔薇語 said:

Enrage / Beserk is an Interesting option. The Player hasn't given me a particularly clear trigger for it but this might be the way to go to reflect the rarity/commonness and level of personal control. 

Thank you!

La Rose

the most common thing is hero takes body damage.

Every time he is wounded, bam, ego roll to see if he goes berserk and starts wailing on his enemy.

"It's a cut. I can handle it."

"I got hit by a car. I'm a little miffed. I can handle it."

"Set me on fire? Leeeeeerrrrroooooyyyyyy Jenkins!"

CES 

I had a player do something similar and he just used accidental change.   I did not need to take control of the character because the player was an experience role player, and GM.  He did a superb job of playing a villain.  His character was the most interesting character in the game.  The character was the best hero and the best villain of the campaign.  Once during a time travel episode he was both at the same time. 

The problem with the enraged/berserk is it is going to only affect combat.  If that is the affect your player wants that is fine, but to me seems to waste a good opportunity. What it does not allow is for the character to do anything really sneaky and subtle.

Why are Accidental Change and Enraged / Berserk mutually exclusive?  You could have the AC to represent the total loss of control (with perhaps the PC being unaware of it), while the E/B shows the occasional brief loss of control.  (In practice, I'd suggest making the E/B frequency be "occasionally", with the understanding between GM and player that it actually starts at "infrequent" and slowly moves up to "frequent" during game play.)

Are the other players aware of this player's desire for this character?  If not, I'd keep the AC just between you and the player, and only have sightings of the "dark PC" and reports of his actions in the news.  I'm imagining the OMG moment for the other players when they realize the bad guy they've been trying to track down is actually their teammate.

I'd also suggest some in-game way for him to be cured (meta-gaming, he pays the points to buy off the AC and E/B, but I'm talking something they can all do to save him).

Accidental Change sounds good because, in this case, it's a mental change, not a physical one. The chance the change occurs is based on how the roleplay between the GM playing the symbiote and the player go. The activation roll chosen affects how strong one side is over the other. The GM could give a modifier to the activation roll based on how strong their side's motivation is.

Enraged could be used to have the symbiote lash out at whatever triggered it in the first place. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2018 at 7:39 PM, unclevlad said:

Psych Lim:  Dissociative Personality Disorder.  

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/dissociative-identity-disorder-multiple-personality-disorder#1

Note, for severity, this could be a +15.  

It might be a Physical Limitation if he has no control over what his body does, but only when wearing the suit.  It would be along the lines of being in Powered Armor and having someone else take control of it like War Machine in Iron Man 2.

5 hours ago, Cassandra said:

It might be a Physical Limitation if he has no control over what his body does, but only when wearing the suit.  It would be along the lines of being in Powered Armor and having someone else take control of it like War Machine in Iron Man 2.

Years ago when reading Deathok, he fought agents who wanted to quit but then quit but then their armor forced them to fight. I always wondered how to write that up! 

14 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Years ago when reading Deathok, he fought agents who wanted to quit but then quit but then their armor forced them to fight. I always wondered how to write that up! 

If the GM wrote it up, anyway it's wanted. However, to answer the question: if the armor control could not be reasserted, a physical limitation. If the armor wearer could reassert control, psychological limitation.