Jump to content
Duke Bushido

Browsing through the HERO store

Recommended Posts

On 11/6/2018 at 7:28 PM, Duke Bushido said:

To be fair, European Enemies was clearly a sellable product.

 

How many people here own it (besides me)?

 

 

(and yes; it was truly awful)

 

 

 

I own it, bought second hand as part of a bundle when I picked up about 25 HERO products together.

 

Note I specifically said, "a sellable product which wasn't notoriously bad" as opposed to an calling European Enemies "an unsellable product". There are notoriously bad movies which become cult classics and continue producing revenue for decades.

 

I often end up tinkering with characters from published products regardless because I find doing that enjoyable so European Enemies wasn't as much of a downside for me as it would be for many. But I would have liked the option of using the characters as written without there being a problem with their builds, a problem with the blatant national stereotypes, or both.

 

There certainly wasn't anything unsalvageable about the product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

There is always the art. ;)

 

Copy the art and write up new characters to go with it. 

 

I've done that more than once.  Mostly because I can't draw.  Like not even water. 

 

I sympathize with that. Drawing is one of those mysterious arts like making a decent pizza.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did it for _years_, since I was a kid.  Drew in school; drew at home for a couple of hours each day.  Took drawing classes as electives when I had the chance: there was very little I wanted to be able to do more than I wanted to draw.  Even used to buy those accursed books; they were the _premiere_ birthday gift.  From the time I was in second grade, till I finally, _painfully_ gave up in my late thirties.  I never believed it, but there are some things that some people just aren't going to be able to do, ever.  For me, drawing was one of them.

 

To this day, even my stick figures are awful. :(  I can't even make a symmetrical ovoid.  Not even one of those valentine's hearts.  

 

I always sympathize with the kid when some I hear his father say "It's not that hard!  Just practice more!"

 

Writing?  Never practiced; never even studied.  Bending wrenches?  Same.  There are lots of things I _am_ good at.  And practice _does_ improve most things for most people-- typing is a great example from my life.  Wanted to learn to type so I could write more, and faster.   But it's not going to help everyone do anything.  For me, it was that thing I wanted most.  Wasted a huge chunk of my life learning that.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there's the unimaginative, near-insulting stereotypes; the sloppily thought-out character stats and power designs; the rampant math errors, even worse than typical for 4E books; glaringly lazy mistakes like calling the German villain "Das Wall," which isn't even close to correct German.

 

If you want a breakdown of why and how European Enemies is bad, I recommend looking up Mike "Susano" Surbrook's "debugging" of it on his great website: http://surbrook.devermore.com/revisedhero/herorev.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, things are getting real.

 

I have brought my scanning project to the attention of "someone who could help get it out the right way" when it's complete.  It was suggested to me that I wait on 3e Star HERO (which is now completely sliced and partially scanned) until a particular date, and that I might want to focus on Western HERO and Horror HERO.  (Evidently there is already a PDF for Cyber HERO; didn't remember that.  Guess what I'm buying next? :) ).

 

Sent a couple of scans to my brother to see if he could help me clean them up.  I won't say there's pressure on, but there might be pressure on.

 

Wish me luck! :D

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Okay, things are getting real.

 

I have brought my scanning project to the attention of "someone who could help get it out the right way" when it's complete.  It was suggested to me that I wait on 3e Star HERO (which is now completely sliced and partially scanned) until a particular date, and that I might want to focus on Western HERO and Horror HERO.  (Evidently there is already a PDF for Cyber HERO; didn't remember that.  Guess what I'm buying next? :) ).

 

Sent a couple of scans to my brother to see if he could help me clean them up.  I won't say there's pressure on, but there might be pressure on.

 

Wish me luck! :D

 

 

 

Here’s a suggestion, if you have the access: my friends run an institute where they scan books constantly. They found that, once the cover is cut of, it is quick, clean and efficient to use a band saw to cut the binding off. Clamps are of course necessary to keep the pages signed at the end of the cut, but it saves hours and hours of work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2018 at 4:50 AM, Lord Liaden said:

Well, there's the unimaginative, near-insulting stereotypes; the sloppily thought-out character stats and power designs; the rampant math errors, even worse than typical for 4E books; glaringly lazy mistakes like calling the German villain "Das Wall," which isn't even close to correct German.

 

I have absolutely no grounds on which to base this, but I swear the whole thing felt like it was composed of fan contributions:  you know, your typical us, playing our little games and making the occasional sloppy or joke villain that somehow becomes a player favorite at _our_ table, if only because we are usually a group of similarly-interested people who find the same things funny....  

 

"people will love this character!  Let's send it in!" 

How do we justify the power level?  I mean, she was just a villain, right? I haven't even really tracked experience or anything. 

"just throw on 288 points worth of Disadvantages; no one is going to care...." 

 

No; it probably didn't happen like that, but hang it all, it certainly feels like it. 

 

On 11/9/2018 at 4:50 AM, Lord Liaden said:

If you want a breakdown of why and how European Enemies is bad, I recommend looking up Mike "Susano" Surbrook's "debugging" of it on his great website: http://surbrook.devermore.com/revisedhero/herorev.html

 

Great stuff, except for the rework of Death Knell.  Well, the rework is great, actually; typical high-quality Aurbrook stuff.  But after complaining in the designers notes that many of the reworks were inspired by terrible or cliche names, he calls he Bell, Book, and Candle. 

 

Yeah: I get that in his rework she is somehow possessed by a bell, a book, and a candle, but _still_.... 

 

See?  

 

If someone who put in the effort that Surbrook puts into everything, we could have had a great book, and the only quibble at all would have been so minor, it could be fixed with a rename.  Murderers with bell_derived SFX..... 

 

I'm thinking "Death Knell...." 

 

:D

 

(for the record, I have _almost_ used his rework of the scarecrow character.  That's meant way better than it sounds, since I don't use published characters as a rule, and try not to crib from other people's hard work and creativity.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2018 at 7:10 AM, Duke Bushido said:

Thanks.  Wish I had known that a couple of books ago!  :lol:

 

Any idea what TPI or what feed raje and speed settings they recommend?  (band saws, I got) 

 

No idea on this, but they are technologically impaired, so I can't imagine you could screw it up if they can't. I suspect a table saw with a good finish blade might work too, but it's just a hunch. But it should speed things up for you for sure if you have access!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First forty pages of Western HERO scanned.

Sorry it's going so slowly, but as I noted, I am hand-laying and positioning each sheet until the text, charts, art, etc, are lined up correctly.

 

I _know_ you can do it with software, but honestly: you can tell!  You can see it every time it happens.  This is a labor of love that is now costing me actual money, so I'm going to do it right. ;)

 

Oh, and Brian:

 

i can see why you quit following! :lol:   I just recently started following someone who isn't _nearly_ as prolific as I have been lately, and Dude!  It's a pain in the assassin!  :rofl:  All those notifications!  :lol:

 

Tell you what: if these scans are why you followed in the first place, I'll message you personally when they are done.  Deal?  :)

 

From this to this.

 

This is actually the one I'm least happy with (thus far), and it's still far beyond what I could do by myself.

 

I think he'll do us a great job. :D

 

(sorry about the file size.  I really did do the raw scans in 1200 dpi, to make sure there was enough granularity for cleaning every detail without loss of image quality)

WH_013_BW_black_back.png

WH 013 BW black back Edited.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

First forty pages of Western HERO scanned.

Sorry it's going so slowly, but as I noted, I am hand-laying and positioning each sheet until the text, charts, art, etc, are lined up correctly.

 

I _know_ you can do it with software, but honestly: you can tell!  You can see it every time it happens.  This is a labor of love that is now costing me actual money, so I'm going to do it right. ;)

 

Oh, and Brian:

 

i can see why you quit following! :lol:   I just recently started following someone who isn't _nearly_ as prolific as I have been lately, and Dude!  It's a pain in the assassin!  :rofl:  All those notifications!  :lol:

 

Tell you what: if these scans are why you followed in the first place, I'll message you personally when they are done.  Deal?  :)

 

From this to this.

 

This is actually the one I'm least happy with (thus far), and it's still far beyond what I could do by myself.

 

I think he'll do us a great job. :D

 

(sorry about the file size.  I really did do the raw scans in 1200 dpi, to make sure there was enough granularity for cleaning every detail without loss of image quality)

 

The cleaned up image looks very professional. The fact that they used engravings for the illustrations is helpful for reproduction. Keep the 1200 DPI raw files, just in case, though.

There used to be a program called "Debabelizer Pro, for Windows. I don't know if it's still around, but in that program you could perform operations, similar to Photoshop (except draw, and apply filters)< and you could record the steps needed  to process and image, , and/crop it. That process could then be boiled down to a single command or button, and in the days of video game sprites, it was very helpful processing large numbers of animation files, and sprites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×