Automatons, Defense Powers, and Entangle

BoloOfEarth

Question

This is a follow-up to a question I asked in the Hero Designer forum.

While creating a robot in Hero Designer, I gave it the Automaton power Takes no STUN, which I understand means that all Defense Powers are tripled in cost.  No problem there.

However, Entangle also tripled in cost, and that's a Standard Power / Attack Power, not a Defense Power.  Simon informed me that this is in accordance with the rules.  Am I missing something here?

1 answer to this question

I can’t find anything in my notes where I’ve discussed how the rule for defensive powers and abilities and the Takes No STUN Power interacts with Entangle, though it’s entirely possible I discussed the issue with Simon at some point on the phone or by e-mail.

In 5th Edition and prior editions, where a character could use Entangle to create barriers (i.e., as a defensive ability, even if it wasn’t strictly a Defense Power), it would have been necessary to triple the cost of Entangle for characters with Takes No STUN (unless the GM ruled otherwise, of course). Perhaps Simon and I discussed the subject way back when, and that’s what gives rise to your question. But the 6E rules removed the “barrier” function of Entangle (since 6E has the Barrier Power, to which the tripling rule unquestionably applies). Therefore, the defensive aspects/functions of Entangle become so rare that the tripling rule for Takes No STUN should not apply to Entangle under the 6E rules. (Though as always, if I’ve previously ruled on this and forgotten about it, I’ll be glad to reconsider the issue when someone points that out to me. ;) )