Hellboy

Greywind

• 1 month later...

Saw it this week. Was ok, not as good as the Perlman ones, much more gory and violent I think. One thing bugged me a lot, will spoiler:

I disliked that they once again, as in the first one, went to the "prince of darkness, will bring about the apocalypse, kill his "father" to force him over the top, one of his companions reminds him of all his father taught him (much more gruesomely this time) to bring him back to the good side" storyline.

They showed where Abe comes from at the end. The acting was decent, though not great. Plot was kind of stupid, but about what would expect.

Saw it today...not a good reboot IMO...the acting was okay but the story was predictable and the pacing was rushed.  I actually turned to my wife in the movie and said to her "Is this bad or is just me?" which is rare, I'll admit my bar is pretty low for Superhero movies.  As long as I walk out feeling entertained I'm usually giving the movie a positive review but this one was just a shadow of the original and not in a good way.

Definitely not in the same league as the Perlman version of Hellboy.  I wouldn't be upset if this shallow reboot was the last in the series...

1 hour ago, sentry0 said:

Saw it today...not a good reboot IMO...the acting was okay but the story was predictable and the pacing was rushed.  I actually turned to my wife in the movie and said to her "Is this bad or is just me?" which is rare, I'll admit my bar is pretty low for Superhero movies.  As long as I walk out feeling entertained I'm usually giving the movie a positive review but this one was just a shadow of the original and not in a good way.

Definitely not in the same league as the Perlman version of Hellboy.  I wouldn't be upset if this shallow reboot was the last in the series...

I don't plan on seeing it, but one release-day analysis essentially stated that it deserved to fail for trying to set up 5 sequels, rather than tell a complete story in this one.

I haven't heard great stuff about this but the first Hellboy films were kinda uneven in reviews too and I really liked them.

David Hyde Pierce did the voice for Abe Sapien.

Yeah he was uncredited, on purpose, because he didn't want to take away from the physical actor's performance (which he was very influenced by, according to interviews).  Did a wonderful job too.  I agree with the comment that the first Hellboy's casting was inspired.