Institute for Human Advancement

Lord Liaden

Some villain ideas:

1: Piecemeal.

Piecemeal originally came from the same anti-mutant Earth a certain someone else came from. His gimmick is that he wields various gadgets. The surprise? They are all based on body parts taken from mutants and kept "alive". Piecemeal seems to be a sadist, but there seems to be more envy in him than hatred.

2: Red King.

The head of combat for IHA, even if they won't admit it. He is a power armor user, and the armor uses various sources of power designed to counteract any mutant's ability to wrench control of it from him. Red King says he comes from a future where humans were rounded up by mutants and killed and enslaved.

3: Red Queen.

A skilled martial artist, all which is known is that she wants to prove herself superior to mutants in combat.

4: Headhunter.

A maniac who searches out for mentalist and collects there heads. While he does not focus on mutants, most of his victims are mutants. Piecemeal has developed a way for him to track and protect himself from mental attacks (using mutant brains, of course; the same method he uses for himself).

One thing I do like about Genocide as presented in The Mutant File is their turning to technology for their combat forces to counter the natural abilities of mutants. Not just their Minuteman robots, but specialized anti-mutant weapons, powered armor, cyborgs. That last option is also an ironic comment on their fanaticism, that they're willing to radically contaminate their own humanity with bionics in order to protect the purity of the human race. :rolleyes:

On 10/2/2018 at 8:47 PM, Duke Bushido said:

Gotta level with ya:  in a world where super-powered people, high-tech warriors, and aliens with powers that boggle the mind are all matters of course, the hatred of the super powered mutant is, in my own opinion, beyond stupid

I think this is part of why the X-Men series never reached the level of success that the other super hero franchises did.

The hatred of mutants = racism just doesn't work well in that world.  Mutants are basically super-humans and most people would be VERY happy to have them in a world full of alien invasion threats, Ultrons and other non-human threats.

Oh, you're a human like me, only you have super powers?  Hell, yes!  Save me from that!  ~points to zergling hoard racing down the street~.

23 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

One thing I do like about Genocide as presented in The Mutant File is their turning to technology for their combat forces to counter the natural abilities of mutants. Not just their Minuteman robots, but specialized anti-mutant weapons, powered armor, cyborgs. That last option is also an ironic comment on their fanaticism, that they're willing to radically contaminate their own humanity with bionics in order to protect the purity of the human race. :rolleyes:

While they never think so, it is a perfect statement about them. They are hypocrites. "Do what I say, not what I do." Hatrid and envy leads to the loss of humanity they swear to defend, while there oponents might even be more human then they are.

26 minutes ago, steriaca said:

While they never think so, it is a perfect statement about them. They are hypocrites. "Do what I say, not what I do." Hatrid and envy leads to the loss of humanity they swear to defend, while there oponents might even be more human then they are.

Fanaticism and hypocrisy often go together. When you declare one goal to be an absolute, transcendent good to which all other interests must be sacrificed, why, you can compromise any other ideal or take any means to that end. And because you are soooo righteous, any trifling sin is forgivable.

IIRC, the night before they flew planes into buildings in the name of Islam, at least some of the 9/11 hijackers went drinking at girlie clubs. They were sure of Heaven, so they felt free to enjoy the sinful pleasures of the decadent West.

Dean Shomshak

7 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

I think this is part of why the X-Men series never reached the level of success that the other super hero franchises did.

The hatred of mutants = racism just doesn't work well in that world.  Mutants are basically super-humans and most people would be VERY happy to have them in a world full of alien invasion threats, Ultrons and other non-human threats.

Oh, you're a human like me, only you have super powers?  Hell, yes!  Save me from that!  ~points to zergling hoard racing down the street~.

Um... are you talking about the original 1960s series and team, or the 1970s reboot? Because the latter spawned the hottest-selling group of linked titles Marvel published, into the 1990s at least. (I can't speak to this millennium, as I mostly dropped out of comics reading; although a series of big-budget high-profile movies, and multiple network animated series, couldn't have hurt.)

12 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Um... are you talking about the original 1960s series and team, or the 1970s reboot? Because the latter spawned the hottest-selling group of linked titles Marvel published, into the 1990s at least. (I can't speak to this millennium, as I mostly dropped out of comics reading; although a series of big-budget high-profile movies, and multiple network animated series, couldn't have hurt.)

I was referring to the movies and TV shows.  The comics were quite popular among us nerdy types back in the day, but the franchise has struggled in the movies as of late.

Some of it is the quality of the story writing, but some of it is that the core schtick - as of late - doesn't feel right anymore.  Everyone hates mutants because racism doesn't ring true.  I believe it is *part* of what is hurting their sales.

All of this comic talk just makes me want to go watch the 1st Avengers movie again.  That was perfection.

7 hours ago, ScottishFox said:

All of this comic talk just makes me want to go watch the 1st Avengers movie again.  That was perfection.

As a superhero comic fan, I agree. The story, characterizations, conventions, imagery, action, all genre classics that could have been lifted from a comic book. Avengers set the precedents for future Marvel movies. I seriously doubt we would have the MCU we have now, if that film hadn't stuck the landing so well.

Let's see how DC handles "mutants"...

Generally speaking, there version are doing alright. Thoes who are "metagean activated" are accepted as heros on there own regard, or feared as villains in there own regard.

And then there is the shit happing in Doomsday Clock, where everyone with powers, regardless of origin, are suspected of being a secret goverment cold war weapon. Abd we can blame Doctor Manhattan for that...