Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tigersloth

Critical Hits in the Hero System

Hey guys, another question from my players as I start to convert over from using Fantasy Flight's Star Wars system to Hero. One of the fun things in that system is the critical hit rules for each weapon making them more or less deadly. I know Hero has rules for misfires and problems with guns if you roll a 17-18 depending if you have been taking care of your weapon, but I am asking has anyone ever put in critical hits or a system of effects or bonuses if a player rolls particularly low? the system GURPS uses comes to mind.

Does anyone use any house rules for this or do you let the variable damage roll for each hit do the talking for you in the system. Let me be clear I am not saying I want to put crit rules into the hero system, just asking what other people think and do about this?

You can simply make rolling a 3 a critical success though that certainly doesn't happen very option. I know the 6E two volume core books have an optional critical hit system (not sure if it gets mentioned in Champions Complete or Fantasy Hero Complete). I believe it's something like if you roll less than 1/2 of what you need to hit it is a crit (for example if your OCV and the Target's DCV are the same you need an 11- to hit. If you roll 5 or less it's a Crit).

The current critical hits rules state that if you make your attack roll (direct attacks only, not area of effect nor mental) by half, you do maximum damage instead of rolling.  The fast game play version of calculating a critical is simply subtract the to hit roll again.  

Ex: Alan has an OCV of 6 vs Bruce's DCV of 8.  Alan rolls a 4.  11+OCV-3d6= DCV hit.  So 11+6-4=13.  Alan hit a 13 which means he hit Bruce.  We subtract the 4 again from the DCV hit and find that he did critical damage to a DCV of 4.  Alan has made a critical hit to Bruce.

Critical hits has generated a lot of discussion on these boards with various GMs who have different opinions on how effective they are and how to balance the critical. My best advice is if you do not want gritty realism (and I personally don't see Star Wars as gritty realism) keep critical hits out of game play.  What you might want is instead the impairment and disabling rules which does various effects dependent on the amount of body you get past defense based on the hit location.  Impairment and disabling effects require a hit location but you do not need to use the body and stun multipliers for the hit (again, it gets kind of gritty doing that).

Side Note: I once GM'd a Western Game where people were in a shoot out in a church.  All rules (hit location, disable/impairment, critical hits, shock) were in play.  One of the players got tired of shooting from behind the pews and said "F*@K this" and ran out with six guns blazing into the middle of the pews.  The targets behind cover survived.  A shotgun blast to the left leg and a critical bullet to the vitals ended that player in one segment.