Where are the old export formats?

algesan

There were a number of .txt and .rtf export formats for Hero Designer during 5th Edition (and early 6th), what happened to them? 

All there is left is a bunch of uneditable (and paper hungry) HTMLs and text formats for 6th Edition that reject any data from a HD character built under 5th Edition rules.  Nothing that can be opened in a word processor for editing.

The only sort of functional two page format left is the PDF export...which cuts a lot of the notes and other details out...as well as being uneditable without paying for an expensive PDF editor.

Just curious, since it looks like giving the finger to those who don't change up to the new vision of 6th Ed, despite HeroGames still selling a bunch of 5th Ed books.

Not that big a deal I guess since I'm only using HD for my convenience in building my player characters.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:19 PM, bluesguy said:

Hi,

Did you look in the download section?   https://www.herogames.com/forums/files/category/2-export-formats/

Yes, repeatedly and repeatedly downloaded different files, I mentioned in the OP just how worthless they are for 5th Edition users.  Fortunately, someone mentioned the Wayback Machine in another forum below and I scooped up some pre-6th export formats that Hero Games decided not to copy over.  I just downloaded some old friends I recognized and later I will see if they got fubar'd by "updates" from HD.

Dude...you really need to calm down.

1. Hero Games did not quash or discourage 5th Edition. The export formats are created by users, the site simply hosts them.
2. The difference between a 6E export and a 5E export is pretty much just the Characteristics section...and only a few of them at that.  That's it.  It's about 5 minutes of work for someone to convert a 6E export format over to 5E. If you were a bit nicer and FAR less antagonistic in your approach, you might have been able to take advantage of that...but I suspect that that ship has sailed at this point.  You're going to want to learn the "massively complex" markup required to edit the exports on your own, should you choose to go that route.

Now, I would stongly suggest (as an admin of these forums) that you change your tone.  I'm being nice and not punting you from the site, but this is the only warning you're going to get.

My apologies, yes, I can recreate the wheel.  It is definitely doable since I've at least modified the the wheel before when I last GM'd a game using the Hero system years ago.  That was when I mixed into a 5th Edition HD template and export template what I consider the best part of 6th to cancel out the biggest flaw in 5th (IMHO at least), which was pulling the direct link between combat and DEX.  My irritation is over why it would be necessary when it is, from my personal experience, trivial to have shifted the files to a new hosting as it appears so many of the 6th Ed versions of the export formats did.  Of course, I did make an error, I forgot about the Wayback Machine as another poster pointed out in another thread.

If, of course, all of the users who created the text based 5th Edition export formats that are no longer available chose to deny Hero Games the right to host their files, then I offer my most abject apologies for any impression you have of my tone that I reached from the absolutely and totally incorrect conclusion that such files were simply discarded by Hero Games when they changed the forum area.  Of course, the files are still available at this location online: https://web.archive.org/web/20060630084337/http://www.herogames.com:80/FreeStuff/HeroDesignerV2/export templates/RPM_RTFCharacterSheetsv2.zip

48 minutes ago, algesan said:

If, of course, all of the users who created the text based 5th Edition export formats that are no longer available chose to deny Hero Games the right to host their files, then I offer my most abject apologies for any impression you have of my tone that I reached from the absolutely and totally incorrect conclusion that such files were simply discarded by Hero Games when they changed the forum area. 

Apology accepted.  Please refrain from outbursts in the future -- you are a guest in these forums.