Whats YOUR Champions universe like?

tigersloth

On 10/13/2018 at 9:10 AM, tigersloth said:

I find peoples adaption of their own superhero universes an intriguing and fascinating subject. Whats your universe like? who are the movers and shakers? is more a DC like place or Marvel? What elements of the official champions universe do you use? or have you eliminated or changed? do you use other games characters such as Mutants & Masterminds or Villains and Vigilantes or Heroes Unlimited? or is it a universe of characters you have completely created from whole cloth of your own?

Mine is a very heavy homage based combo of DC/Marvel with the serial numbers just barely scrapped off but using game characters whenever I can.

What about you? 

Our world ( I say "our" because I co-GM with a friend) is much like you described yours, an homgae to DC and Marvel.  My co-deity prefers the more epic DC style where the heroes are icons, the ultimate heroes; whereas I like "the world outside your window" Marvel style where the heroes are normal people who happen to have powers.  So we've split GM duties:  he runs an epic, high-powered, world-altering team based in NYC while I run a more modest, more localized team based in Indianapolis.  They share a universe but not a tone.  We have created everything from scratch, we don't use the official Champions Universe, although I have pilfered and adapted a handful of characters from various villains books and other supplements.

I myself don't exactly have a game. But I DO write up characters/villains occasionally. While I try to not tie them directly to the Champions Universe, I also make them important in their area of the world.

I have to thank MajorTom2009 for his help with some of my characters. I hope to eventually really publish something which can be considered part of the Champions Universe. In fact, is that the thing that every writer for Hero want?

My universe, Else Earth, started out as a 3rd Edition Champs campaign in middle school. We played in one campaign or another for 8 years and then college and life moved everyone away. I have been in 2 champions games since 1991. 

But I love making characters and writing worlds...So in 1996, I went through my old notebooks and cribbed character files and started putting it together as it's own world. 

I mostly abandoned the old CU, though I have a few characters/teams who were CU characters (Solitaire from 4th Ed Champions team played a BIG part in one of our campaigns.) I'm still building the world 20 years later in fits of creativity, innovation, and/or nostalgia.

My game world has its roots in stories I wrote to pass the time in study hall in junior high school (1976-1979).  Those tales drew inspiration from the DC and Marvel comics I was reading at the time.  The world further evolved when I started to pick up first and second edition Champions product.  I picked my fav characters and concepts to incorporate into my world.

I've been teetering on the brink of responding to this for a while. I haven't run Hero (or anything else) in a million ages, and even then it was pulp, science fiction and fantasy settings, as I got strong pushback at the idea of running a superheroes campaign. My "Champions Universe" is some fan fiction that I gave up on after getting tired of the limits of installment writing.

That said, some unsolicited thoughts:

-All narrative requires conflict. The strength of the superhero narrative is that the conflict is built in. You and your friends fight evil.

--All worldbuilding balances between versimilitude and authorial self-indulgence. Worldbuilding is a strong sell in the SFF genre. Arrakis is the star of Dune far more than its characters, and so on. With RPGs, we go the other way. Talislanta, Empire of the Petal Throne, Glorantha, Harn: all offered, all niche products. But Greyhawk, a generic setting created to put D&D modules on a map, is still going strong. There's a reason that "The Only Fantasy Map You'll Ever Need" is endlessly evocative, while worlds of iron cities and black suns are, at best, alternatives. The reason is simple: We know where we are on The Only Fantasy Map. The others subject us to the setting-as-GMPC. Not that I don't have a certain attachment to Black Sun and Spelljammer, but, you know.

Oh, yeah. the introductory emdash needs a point. Anyway, the thing about the superhero genre is that the setting is given. It's the world we have, only with every imaginable weirdness stuck into one corner or another, somehow interacting with the real world without changing it. Is it unrealistic? Yes! But, in comparison with what all the other settings ask us to swallow, an alternative Earth that is just like this one, only with a lost land with dinosaurs, occasional alien invasions, and a secret organisation's headquarters buried under the convenience store at 4th and Main in every city in the United States is actually pretty tame. 

As I've said before about the Champions Universe, I like it because it embraces this. It's a generic superhero universe. It reminds me of when the ever-obnoxious but strangely wise CEO of ADB, Stephen Cole, said that Aurora (never mind, it's not important right now) had "every Federation race that anyone wants to play in an RPG," or something like that. So start with that. A pastiche universe, rooted in reality, with everything that you might want to enjoy, in it somewhere. 

When you write an adventure supplement, some of the generic elements tend to wash out. The CU has a multiversal city, like old Cynosure from Grimjack. On the other hand, it was created by our own Dean Shomshak, whose sensibilities run to the mystical and weird, and away from Neil Ostranders' noirish setting. On the other hand, Dean's Babylon is open enough that you can give it a "Cynosure" feel. When my fanfic arrived there, a great deal of the action was spent in high speed chases in the Understate, a network of expressways underneath the city, inspired by Lego Racers, because pastiche, and both more specific and grounded (you don't get much more grounded than concrete dividers and SUVs and motorcycles chasing semis) than Shomshak's setting, and a contribution, at least, so I think, to the weird and poetic character of his Babylon. 

Groundedness matters. A Hero guru I remember with fondness introduced me to the system with a brief description of the alternate history of the world in that setting that left me a bit cold as a young man. Why do we need to know that the border between Canada and the United States is different? On the other hand, if you're going to put in a superhero school, maybe you should think about making it a generic high school rather than a preppy private institution. I like Ravenpoof Academy, though not as much as I liked the rest of Teen Hero, but who can relate to it? Now, Tatammy High, with its (secret) magnet superhero programme in an annex of classrooms underneath the building --that's another matter entirely. Who didn't fantasise that there were secret underground facilities at their high school? (Tip of the hat to BoloofEarth, whose mind was running on parallel tracks to mine and found the energy to actually write an RPG supplement.)

I can't stress enough how much fun it can be just building on that kind of silliness. Of course it'll turn out that that complex of secret classrooms is connected to a local mall and Any-Resemblance-To-Actual-Batcave-Is-Supposedly-Accidental. Of course it'll turn out that there's an evil teacher that the administration can't fire, because that sort of thing happens in real high schools. Even if in real high schools, they're not the drama teacher who is actually Professor Paradigm --not Doctor Destroyer! And that's not even getting into the swim coach from Tennessee who talks to fish. . . 

What?

I guess what I'm saying is, start local, build out. Does the underground complex include the secret headquarters of a now-defunct superhero group, complete with its old trophy room? Why not? Legacies are fun. ("Why is there a dead tree in the middle of the hall?" "I don't know, but Dad says that if it ever comes to life, I'm to set off the fire alarm, and then maybe invent some new alarms and pull them, too.") Does the trophy room include a spaceship? Sure! Is it ready to take your class of superteens on a class outing to Mars or wherever? Sounds fun! After that, you can start fleshing out the backstory, and probably end up with more adventure seeds than your campaign will last through. 

Just be careful with the time travel. It makes plotting hard. 

Only Fantasy Map.jpg

If you look at my forum signature, you'll see a link to TASK FORCE, which starts more-or-less as the Champions Universe in August 1982.  It's stories based on characters I first played with friends in the Indianapolis area throughout the 1980's and reinvented starting this decade, as explained in the Frequently-Asked Questions section.  The style of story-telling and characterization gradually changes from "beginning superheroes" in 1982 to "legendary figures" in 2017.

The TASK FORCE universe doesn't jump the rails with respect to the CU until the Leap Day working in 2012, and with respect to Real Life when one of the main characters gets elected President in 2016.

20 hours ago, segerge said:

If you look at my forum signature, you'll see a link to TASK FORCE, which starts more-or-less as the Champions Universe in August 1982.  It's stories based on characters I first played with friends in the Indianapolis area throughout the 1980's and reinvented starting this decade, as explained in the Frequently-Asked Questions section.  The style of story-telling and characterization gradually changes from "beginning superheroes" in 1982 to "legendary figures" in 2017.

The TASK FORCE universe doesn't jump the rails with respect to the CU until the Leap Day working in 2012, and with respect to Real Life when one of the main characters gets elected President in 2016.

Are you absolutely sure one of your main characters wasn't elected President in 2016?

That would explain so much!

My Universe consists of three connected but distinctive eras, The Pulp Era (the first arrivals of the so-called "Mystery Men" known as the American League), the Modern Era (centered around the Crusaders, The British Avengers, the Lost Ones, and the "LXG's"), and the 31st Century (centered around the Force of Nine and the Shadowers). All eras are connected to the city of Liberty Metropolis in one way or another.

• 4 months later...

My Champions Universe is based primarily on the 4th Edition version of the official universe with a few elements of the 5th Edition added in. My campaign started back in 1993, and has continued on to present day, so when 5th Edition came out I updated all the PCs to 5th Edition rules. I very much liked a lot of the 'new' 5th Edition official universe, so have tried to slowly bring in those elements that I felt were a must, such as the updated versions of Dr. Destroyer, Mechanon, and Firewing. Still, there is a lot of the 5th Edition universe I have not yet brought into the campaign, as it would/will take some work on my end, such as the new version of the Champions, and the existence of teams like the Justice Squadron and Sentinels. For example, I am still currently using the 4th Edition version of the Sentinels, which is the large team of heroes from Canada, and don't want  confusion with the 5th Editions version of the Sentinels, a U.S. (New York?) based hero team. A few years back I began taking steps to introduce the 5th Edition version of Stronghold into the campaign by having the old 4th Edition version destroyed in a mass jailbreak.

My campaign is now entering it's 26th year (in fact, my first session of this year is this coming Saturday).  :)

My style is most of the Champions heroes/villains from the early years are retired or dead.Dr. Destroyer tried to blow up most of America (Detroit,New York and LA got the worst end of it)Destroyer using a Capt. Atom  type hero was going to blow up key parts of the world,Grond gaining enough of his humanity back delayed the Dr.costing Grond his life but even though heroes and some villains stopped him he managed to carry out part of his plan.Now with the help from funding and Primus those cities are rebuilt and new Champions have stepped up to defend America vs both old villains and new ones.Working out of Washington Towers in Century City( former New York city) both Primus and the new heroes are the first line of defense against Evil.

• 2 weeks later...

The setting of my current campaign (Agents of PRIMUS) is mostly based upon the Champions Universe as presented using the 5th and 6th Editions of the Hero System rules with several caveats:

1. Every superhuman that existed in the world from 1938 up through the present has utilized some form of magic as their power source, either by gaining inherent abilities or through using a magical artifact or relic of some sort. While some individuals such as Doctor Destroyer and Mechanon appear to be utilizing advanced technology in their activities, their technology cannot be replicated or even explained by modern science. An example of this is where several components recovered from a very early version of Mechanon were later dismantled and analyzed, and microscopic runes were found etched throughout their interiors, runes originating from no known language, leading experts to speculate that Mechanon is some sort of mechanized golem rather than a product of advanced technology.
  2. Superhumans have emerged in cycles that last roughly twelve years each with only a few continuing in their activities past the time their original cycle ended (1938-1949, 1950-1961, 1962-1973, 1974-1985, 1986-1997, 1998-2009 and the current one that began in 2010). In the past, “waves” of heightened activity were followed by “troughs” that produced notably less superhuman goings-on, so the time periods of 1938-1949 and 1962-1973 were wave cycles and the years 1950-1961 and 1974-1985 were trough cycles. Although there are a few noteworthy exceptions such as the lengthy career of Doctor Destroyer, most Champions Universe heroes and villains should be considered as having appeared during the current cycle mixed with a few legacies remaining from the previous one, despite their published histories going back much further.
  3. Due to the PCs traveling back in time to 1908 after their visit to 1938, they warned the Archmage of that time, Bohdan Stanislavski, about the circumstances of his upcoming death and thus prevented it from ever happening. His ongoing presence in the world somehow altered the mystical energies which Erich Hessler and his Nazi cohorts tapped into with their working on May 1st, 1938, ushering in the Superhuman Age. The Archmage’s presence changed that event, altering future destinies by eliminating from existence those superhumans without a magical/mystical origin, and revising others into more magical origins.
  4. As a direct result of the PCs time traveling to 1938 and destroying Luther Black at that time, DEMON dwindled and effectively vanished. While a few scattered remnants of it still cling to existence, it is not a significant threat to the world today.
  5. At the beginning of the 1962-1973 cycle, a rare planetary conjunction occurred from February 4th-6th 1962, and the so-called Aquarian Age began on Earth. Denizens of Faerie began arriving by the thousands as part of an Earth-conquering scheme by the Shadow Queen, Brangomar. After the conjunction was over and the Shadow Queen defeated and driven back to her dark kingdom in Faerie, a horde of Fae beings were left behind, unable to return home. The members of this vast melange composed of pawns of the Shadow Queen’s machinations were eventually settled into various enclaves on Earth, one of the largest of them located in North Las Vegas, now known as Neverland. The Shadow Queen remains an ever-present threat and has returned numerous times since then.
  6. UNTIL never came into being in the 1960s to provide a worldwide answer to the many facets of superhuman crime. In its place, PRIMUS and other elite national police forces were formed, maintaining treaties with each other outside the purview of the UN, and these agreements eventually coalesced into an arm of INTERPOL specializing in the Superhuman World.
  7. The VIPER organization announced its existence in late 1962 with a series of attacks and assassinations, then went quiet for several years. It emerged again in 1968 and has been fairly active ever since, eventually becoming the primary enemy of PRIMUS and its peers in other nations.
  8. Pulson Crystals, which makes up the cores of modern-day blasters, were first utilized in the 1960s by the forces of VIPER. Thanks to the efforts of Cortez Heavy Industries (a business belonging to one PCs family), the blasters now being wielded by elite law enforcement agencies such as PRIMUS were reverse-engineered from captured VIPER weaponry, making C.H.I. the pre-eminent high-tech weapons manufacturer of the 20th Century.
  9. During the aftermath of the worldwide war against Istvatha V’han, Empress of a Billion Dimensions, Doctor Destroyer emerged from obscurity and, with his chief henchman Menton’s aid, took over the island nation of Cuba following the leveling of Havana when one of the Empress’s warships exploded in a nuclear fireball right overhead (due to PC actions). Thanks to Menton’s psychic abilities, Doctor Destroyer has since purged Cuba’s remaining leadership of anyone who would dare oppose him. He then put the mentalist to work ruthlessly rooting out corruption from all levels of government. Since their takeover, a truly astonishing transformation of Cuba (now renamed to Destruga) has taken place; its standard of living rising with amazing rapidity to rival some of the most advanced nations. Part of this is due to Destruga welcoming any superhumans willing to accept Doctor Destroyer's leadership, which has other nations and groups like Eurostar concerned. Stories have also begun leaking out that Menton is utilizing the former membership of PSI as the core of his secret police as he continues his pogrom versus the rapidly dwindling number of dissidents against Doctor Destroyer’s rule.
  10. The U.S. Presidential election in 2016 elevated David Sutherland (once known as Invictus in the Superhuman World) to that office, causing a major upset to the political order. He later added Mason Cortez (Valiant, the former leader of the PCs team) to his cabinet as his Secretary of Superhuman Affairs, Mason's nomination sailing through the Senate due to his popularity as a hero of V'han War among other things. The two maintain a cordial working relationship, although it seems that life as a bureaucrat is stifling Mason’s spirit due to his love of action. There are persistent rumors that he is satisfying such needs as best he can by living vicariously through his mind link with a duplicate of his, a vigilante battling against the forces of Hudson City’s underworld. 
  11. After the events of the last campaign, the galaxy at large is now aware of Earth, which had previously been kept hidden from them by Tateklys, the Malvan entrepreneur who still runs his superhuman gladiatorial arena on the Moon. It is unknown at this time how he accomplished this feat or what deals he has made in order to remain unmolested.
  12. At the conclusion of the last campaign, the PC team (now effectively disbanded as the team’s members each went their separate ways) won possession of a Malvan Worldship that is currently in orbit roughly 32 AUs from the Sun within the outer Solar System, leaving Valiant and his permanently separated duplicate Dread as the only ones to speak for the team. The Worldship’s tactical systems remain intact but are under the sole dominion of its AI, who remains ever-vigilant against any efforts to suborn it. While the UN is currently engaged in a quite spirited, ongoing debate concerning how best to administer such a treasure trove, the AI has been allowing a few individuals and some small groups from Earth as well as various alien civilizations to take up residence there for its own, enigmatic reasons, forming the core of a new society within the bowels of the Worldship and its plentiful wonders.

I find peoples adaption of their own superhero universes an intriguing and fascinating subject. Whats your universe like? who are the movers and shakers? is more a DC like place or Marvel? What elements of the official champions universe do you use? or have you eliminated or changed? do you use other games characters such as Mutants & Masterminds or Villains and Vigilantes or Heroes Unlimited? or is it a universe of characters you have completely created from whole cloth of your own?

Mine is a very heavy homage based combo of DC/Marvel with the serial numbers just barely scrapped off but using game characters whenever I can.

What about you? 

My current game - set primarily in and around London - is one in which superpowers are a VERY new phenomenon.  A phenomenon that, so far, the heroes have no idea of the cause.  The heroes are part of an official government response team organized specifically to deal with superpowered threats beyond the capabilities of the regular police.

From a personal power perspective, the heroes are the “movers and shakers”, although they have encountered a small number of powered individuals who’s powers far exceeded their own (these people also knew more about the origins of powers).

There are no elements of the official Champions Universe (other than some villlains I filed the serial numbers off of because I was in a hurry) - nor any elements from any other Supers settings (RPG or comic).  There are some elements I’ve adapted from,some (non-superhero) novels, but altered sufficiently if any of the players had read them they would not really find themselves at an advantage.

As a newcomer to the system, the universe I'm setting up is derived primarily from the MMO, with the 6E books filling in the gaps. Some of my interpretations are based on misinterpretations, or on material I don't fully remember, but they seemed worth running with. Here are some key points:

• Millennium City's technology has spread across the nation. However, the population of the city itself has dwindled between repeated attacks by Tacophanes (He didn't actually use zombie heroes every year, but he did attack every October, and at other predictable times) and the revelation of Quiplothic radiation buildup contributing to an evacuation of large areas of the city. Primus and allied hero volunteers are working to clean that up. 
  • Luther Black forgot his original plan for 2012 because of his dark magic warping his mind, leading to the simpler and more self-centered plan seen in the MMO. He is now gone permanently, but factors have allowed DEMON to continue without him - even without a new master plan.
  • The Demons summoned by DEMON (at least, some of them) are Quiplothic horrors forced to disguise themselves as hellspawn. Luther Black forced them to in order to keep up the illusion that he was just a Devil-worshipper. They're very annoyed by this (in their alien way), and most of them dropped the charade as soon as he was gone. Others have kept it up because the Demon shapes have advantages, and they can't put the disguise back on by themselves.
  • Cases of Vampirism and Lycanthropy are on the rise, but so are new and better cures for the conditions. While magical in origin, the curses have begun to mutate like conventional diseases, leading to variations - some more dangerous, some with different weaknesses, and some with less of a corrupting influence.
  • The odd effect that prevented the general population from acknowledging the existence of magic seems to be weakening. In fact, it's the other way around: humanity is evolving (hollywood-style) to become resistant to it. Heroic factions who saw the blinders as a good thing have ruefully acknowledged that this has real benefits for humanity's future survival - with all of the supernatural threats that the average citizen could avoid better if they knew to be wary.
  • ^On the other hand, that is why DEMON is experiencing a resurgence: with an influx of newly-aware and unscrupulous new recruits joining to learn Thamaturgy, and surviving veterans all too willing to teach it. Even if some of them go solo or defect afterwards, it puts the organization on the map again.
  • Shadow Destroyer was eventually defeated for good, and the fact that he existed as a separate person from the original Doctor Destroyer is no longer hidden. However, while this information is publicly available, it is not widely understood.
  • Back on the scientific side, ARGENT has officially been declared a terrorist organization with the same legal standing as VIPER. Contributing factors for this included low ranking personnel openly taking potshots at rookie heroes in public areas, being caught committing crimes, information about their secret projects leaking to government organizations and the press, and a certain large business owner who survived ARGENT's attempt to feed him to dinosaurs when he wouldn't agree to a merger devoting all of his resources to hindering them on the legal field. Still, even on the run from the law at every turn, they have continued creating new technology to use and sell on the black market. Laser weapons and body armor with origins in ARGENT labs have spread far.
  • Something happened in another dimension that set Istvatha V’han's plans for conquering earth back for years. This left her pawns already stationed on Earth out to dry, but they're still around.
  • The Commander leading the Gadroon invasion force is considering terraforming one of Jupiter's moons instead. It's looking a lot simpler.
  • The Millennium City Westside gangs, after severe setbacks, are trying their luck in other cities. Kevin Poe is in prison more often than not, but the Neo New Purple Gang has found ways to work around that. The Cobra Lords have developed a rivalry with the Dogz. The Maniacs and Black Aces aren't doing nearly as well, being based around ideals of teenage rebellion which their members are outgrowing. The Cult of the Red Banner always had a wider range and is still active, developing a rivalry with DEMON.
  • PSI is trying to think up new names to use for their front organizations (and so am I).
Edited by alternatum

I and my old gaming group in Northern California had a "shared universe" with up to 5 different GMs(rotating duties) contributing NPCs and storylines.  This universe persisted through several different superhero campaigns, with lots of the previous backstory being maintained into the newer campaigns.  There were some conflicts over overall direction at times, but in general it was a blast to run/play in.  Very similar to actual comic book universes, which have multiple titles, writers and editors.  

11 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

I and my old gaming group in Northern California had a "shared universe" with up to 5 different GMs(rotating duties) contributing NPCs and storylines.  This universe persisted through several different superhero campaigns, with lots of the previous backstory being maintained into the newer campaigns.  There were some conflicts over overall direction at times, but in general it was a blast to run/play in.  Very similar to actual comic book universes, which have multiple titles, writers and editors.  

My first Champions group was a lot like this.  One primary GM and three others of us ran games in a shared universe (built loosely on top of the baked in setting for 3rd edition Champions), riffing off of things that happened in the other GM’s games.  Fun stuff, but will probably never happen again for me as my current gaming life makes it much more likely that - if there are multiple GMs in the group - each GM will be running their own thing, probably a different genre, possibly a different system' then the others.

My Champions Universe ran for 20 years with a gradually cycling series of players.  Its mostly inspired by a mix of Marvel Comics and the published Champions 4th and 5th edition universes with some homebrew hero and villain teams.  In retrospect it was pretty optimistic without being a parody.  Primus was a valued ally and while there were tons of rotten government secret programs and anti-mutant Generals in charge of R&D projects, they were always shut down when the PCs exposed them.
The players saved the world several times, and played many of the published adventures.  (They never forgave Black Harlequin for Omega World from "Champions Battlegrounds".
Some of the highlights:

- We did a big summer crossover with the Despoiler actually damaging the Keystone of Reality.  When the dust settled we had the 5th edition universe.  

- Captain Future's backstory from 4th Edition Golden Age Champions was expanded into a super-heroy time police, with a Captain Future in every heroic age.  The PCs said good by to their buddy the Star Trek TNG themed Captain Future and said Hello to his Matrix Themed replacement at the turn of the Millennium.

- A PC who was a member of the royal family of Cotopia, his vaguely Monaco like homeland, had to take back his country after Brother Bone launched a new inquisition against their decadent ways.
- Foxbat stole a time machine & led the PCs (and the Captain Future Corps) on a bewildering cross-time adventure before he succeeded in his master plan.  When they returned to the present they discovered that he had altered history so that the Star Wars Prequals were different and the fandom agreed they had surpassed the originals in every way.  Lucasfilm was making plans to buy Disney.  The PCs decided to look the other way and just keep living in "FoxBat's Future"
- An Angelic PC who escaped from the war between Heaven & Hell during the Despoiler incident used a favor with the Powers that Be to end Mechanon's threat.  She expected them to kill or banish him.  Instead  he ended up becoming a heroic protector of Organic Beings & Is now up there with Tetsuronin as one of the most powerful heroes in the world.

We retired the old game a number of years ago, but are about to start up a new Ravenswood academy game set in 2019 in the same game universe.  I plan to let the characters the Players remember from the old game to still be around, aged 10 years.  New characters, or characters they never encountered will match the 6th edition versions.  This should make it easier to express that time has passed & new heros and villains have stepped up.  One PC is the heroic Mechanon's "Son".  He is the result of The Engineer's interference in one of Mechanon's projects, making her the PC's "Mother"

2 hours ago, Jhamin said:

When they returned to the present they discovered that he had altered history so that the Star Wars Prequals were different and the fandom agreed they had surpassed the originals in every way.  Lucasfilm was making plans to buy Disney.  The PCs decided to look the other way and just keep living in "FoxBat's Future"

Let us know if you ever find a way to let the rest of us cross over into that universe.

What about you? 

On 10/13/2018 at 9:40 PM, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Heavily modified Champions Universe using elements from all editions along with my own stuff.

Pretty much as Dr. MID-Nite said, though with the caveat that "Champions Universe" includes stuff from prior editions, not just the 6E CU. 

Whats your universe like?   My current campaign (with the heroes based in Boston) started after an event called the Cross-Rip removed many major supers (both heroes and villains) from the game world, but also pulled in new villains (and a few new heroes) from another dimension.  This was all a plot by the Empress of a Billion Dimensions, altered slightly by resistance fighters so the Cross-Ripped supers weren't scattered across dimensions but were instead all sent to one dimension.  This was all in-game justification for me keeping some past villains (mainly 4E ones) while adding in some 6E villains and a lot of home-brew characters, and allowed me to keep historical continuity with past Champions campaigns (which were all 4E or 5E).

Who are the movers and shakers? Since many hero teams were either missing entirely or left severely short-handed by the Cross-Rip, the PCs have quickly become a premiere hero team.  When all of the Champions disappeared, Jaguar came out of retirement and created a new Champions team to fill the void.  Dr. D and Mechanon are still around, as is (obviously) the Empress of a Billion Dimensions.   Many of the hero teams are either from 4E's Allies book or from this website's Create a Hero Theme Team thread.

Is more a DC like place or Marvel? I'm more a fan of Marvel, so I'd say it leans that way.

What elements of the official champions universe do you use? or have you eliminated or changed?   I kept all of the major agencies (PRIMUS, UNTIL, VIPER, ARGENT), though with some changes from the existing CU (for instance, my VIPER is much more like 4E VIPER than 6E).  Many villains are the same in name and basic powers, though I tweak any that put in a direct appearance to fit the PCs better.

Do you use other games characters such as Mutants & Masterminds or Villains and Vigilantes or Heroes Unlimited?  If by "use" you mean "blatantly steal other RPG's characters," the answer is yes.  The Masters of Speed, the Valkyries, and the Slaughterhouse Seven have all put in appearances. 

Or is it a universe of characters you have completely created from whole cloth of your own?  I do have many homebrew characters, inspired by either a picture I found or from the Create a Villain / Hero Theme Team threads.  I've also created teams (e.g. the A-Team) made up of existing CU characters plus some homebrew characters of my own.