Which New Diet Coke Flavors Are Worth Drinking?

Pariah

Diet Coke's four new flavors--Feisty Cherry, Ginger Lime, Twisted Mango, and Blood Orange--have been out for a few months now. I haven't tried any of them yet. I'm curious, but the reviews I've read online are not encouraging. So I figured I'd answer ask the Herophile hive-mind for some advice.

Have any of you tried any of these flavors? Which ones do you like? Which ones do you hate? Which ones would you recommend? What did you like or hate about any individual flavor?

Any useful information you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you!

I went through a phase where I was drinking a lot of the ginger lime Diet Coke from the computerized fountain dispensers. It's a flavor that I like, but I also liked the old Diet Coke with Lime flavor before it was retired, and I buy ginger beer every once in a while. I haven't tried any of the other flavors, as I'm not big on buying cans of soda.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, I've tried three of the four. The Ginger Lime is my favorite so far. It tastes a lot like the old Diet Coke with Lime, with just a hint of ginger. Hardly noticeable, unless your looking for it.

The Feisty Cherry is not as bad as the reviews I'd read about it. It's basically cherry Diet Coke with a mild aftertaste. Not as good as the Ginger Lime, but still okay.

I'm drinking a can of the Twisted Mango right now. My initial reaction: No, no, and no. Would not buy again. (Actually, I didn't buy it. My sister-in-law gave it to me. But still.) I'm not a huge fan of mango anyway, but this tastes like something that was designed to taste like mango instead of actually tasting like mango. Some reviews I read suggested that it tasted like children's cough syrup. I can see where that option comes from. Not recommended.

I have yet to try the Zesty Blood Orange. The reviews I've read seem to support the idea that it tastes like 3/4 Diet Coke, 1/4 orange Fanta. I'm ambivalent. 

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Because the Army dispensaries in my youth doped all children's syrupy medicines with lots of bad artificial cherry flavor, I just can't stand anything that taste like cherry except real, picked-off-the-tree ripe cherries.  Won't try anything with "cherry" on the label.

...holy crap, I haven't drunk any diet Coke in six years.  We stopped after my husband donated a kidney.

I mean, I used to guzzle that stuff down hard when I was younger (I actually did like the taste).  But right now, the only soda I drink every once in a while is a good ginger ale (cane sugar instead of HFCS if possible).

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

So far, I've tried three of the four. The Ginger Lime is my favorite so far. It tastes a lot like the old Diet Coke with Lime, with just a hint of ginger. Hardly noticeable, unless your looking for it.

The Feisty Cherry is not as bad as the reviews I'd read about it. It's basically cherry Diet Coke with a mild aftertaste. Not as good as the Ginger Lime, but still okay.

I'm drinking a can of the Twisted Mango right now. My initial reaction: No, no, and no. Would not buy again. (Actually, I didn't buy it. My sister-in-law gave it to me. But still.) I'm not a huge fan of mango anyway, but this tastes like something that was designed to taste like mango instead of actually tasting like mango. Some reviews I read suggested that it tasted like children's cough syrup. I can see where that option comes from. Not recommended.

I have yet to try the Zesty Blood Orange. The reviews I've read seem to support the idea that it tastes like 3/4 Diet Coke, 1/4 orange Fanta. I'm ambivalent. 

And that's all I've got to say about that.

Heck if you want to drink that get a diet coke bottle and orange fanta bottle and mix to your preference   (we mixed drinks like that a lot when we were in school)

I will on occasion do a diet Dr. Pepper when I hit Whataburger for lunch...not terribly common.  Won't do regular soft drinks any more;  not after I found out my blood sugar was SEVERELY high some years back.  It's totally well controlled now...but that's by ditching the stupid crap like sugar bombs of various sorts.  Doesn't mean the sweet tooth is 100% gone.  BUT...the price still seems crazy high, especially given that it's not something I want that much anyway.  So I usually do water.

Back in the day, I remember Cherry Coke...TOO sweet...and Coke with Lime.  Loved that.  So I might be willing to try the ginger lime.  Mango and orange?  Ehhh...I like mango in a morning smoothie but I dunno if the flavor would harmonize.  Orange could work, but lime has the *pop*, if you'll pardon the pun, to play properly.

13 hours ago, Pariah said:

As did I. We called them 'suicides'.

Same as we called them (I just didn't think to mention it).  

Edit: A lot of the ones I did had about 1/3 or 1/4 Mt Dew,  I don't like Mt Dew straight up that much (and my body has always seemed to react to it like it is liquid crack as it is).  But, mixed with something it seemed to have the right kick.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

I will on occasion do a diet Dr. Pepper when I hit Whataburger for lunch...not terribly common.  Won't do regular soft drinks any more;  not after I found out my blood sugar was SEVERELY high some years back.  It's totally well controlled now...but that's by ditching the stupid crap like sugar bombs of various sorts.  Doesn't mean the sweet tooth is 100% gone.  BUT...the price still seems crazy high, especially given that it's not something I want that much anyway.  So I usually do water.

Back in the day, I remember Cherry Coke...TOO sweet...and Coke with Lime.  Loved that.  So I might be willing to try the ginger lime.  Mango and orange?  Ehhh...I like mango in a morning smoothie but I dunno if the flavor would harmonize.  Orange could work, but lime has the *pop*, if you'll pardon the pun, to play properly.

Yeah, I think that was in some ways that was painful for my dad when he got diabetes a handful of years ago.  He had an exceptional sweet tooth.   Course, my worst problem was with triglycerides (definitely like bread).  Had to severely limit my white bread in take for a year or so  (went from 500+ to a range of 170-200, which I think is supposed to be slightly high,  but pretty manageable)

1 hour ago, Bazza said:

I'm not familiar with Sierra Mist. I don't think that has come to Oz. 

It's Pepsi's version of Sprite or 7-Up, and is usually available on Pepsi-supplied soda fountains in the US, as well as in bottles and cans.

For a long time, Coca-Cola used to have a product called Mr Pibb, which was an analogue of Dr Pepper without the medical degree. Likewise, Pepsi's Mountain Dew gets cloned as Mello Yello.

12 minutes ago, Pariah said:

But Mr. Pibb was notoriously hard to find, at least in my experience.

I was also a big fan of RC Cola back in the day. Can't say as I recall ever having tried the diet version, though.

Diet Rite is (sort of) the diet version of RC Cola, though it doesn't have caffeine. Kind of like how Barq's Root Beer is caffeinated in the sugar variety, but not in the sugar-free version.

Mr Pibb would show up mainly on soda fountains in areas where the local Coca Cola bottler doesn't have distribution rights to Dr Pepper.