Marvel's Venom

bubba smith

It was good enough to justify a rental or matinee price. I’m not sure if you really need to get the DVD since it’s connection to the MCU is tenuous at best. 

Also, there are two mid/post credits sequences. There are enough credits between them to go take a leak and then return for the second one. 

Reviewers are definitely split, but the audience response has been generally positive, reflected in the two-week box office. But pro or con, the reviews I've seen are pretty consistent in their points. First, this is almost a throwback to 1990's-style action movies. If you want the kind of depth and complexity we've gotten used to in superhero movies from this millennium, you'll probably be disappointed. But if you're in the mood for a more cartoony, over-the-top experience, you may quite enjoy it.

Second, almost everyone agrees the best part of the movie is the relationship between the Venom symbiote and Eddie Brock. Tom Hardy chews the scenery in both roles, but in an entertaining fashion. Most of the rest of the cast is largely wasted, though. Third, the visual effects and action are well done, particularly when Venom fully forms and starts kicking ass. This is a PG-13 movie though, so it may not be as gruesome as you expect from this character. The less attached to the comic-book version of the character you are, the more likely you are to enjoy the movie.

It is able to "pleasently waste a few hours of your time". Not a must see, not a avoid see.

There is 0 connection to the MCU, not even Spiderman.

I found the story predictable in large parts.

And the charater actions relatively inconsistent in service of the overall plot/a few cool moments.

But that might just have been me being tired when watching it.