bubba smith

code question

16 hours ago, Cassandra said:

From The 5th Edition it's a psychological limitation in which the character respects authority, always keeps their word, abd protects the innocent.  It's what Superman has along with the Code Versus Killing.

then a character who respects the lsw would have it thank you

Hmm, not necessarily. A villain could have respect for the law as a force greater than themselves, or as a tool to be manipulated, without having any of those three virtues.

On 1/8/2019 at 11:07 PM, Zeropoint said:

Hmm, not necessarily. A villain could have respect for the law as a force greater than themselves, or as a tool to be manipulated, without having any of those three virtues.

I would have to disagree with this. The villain may respect the Law as an adversary but if he would respect the Law as in Code of the Hero, then he wouldn’t be a villain imo.

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I would have to disagree with this. The villain may respect the Law as an adversary but if he would respect the Law as in Code of the Hero, then he wouldn’t be a villain imo.

A villain who respects the law is possible, but needs more than just "this man is a bad man".  The law isn't necessarily good or just, and blind adherence to it can result in horrible things. 

Captain Hans, no-nonsense American police chief isn't a villain.  Captain Hans, no-nonsense police chief in 1943 Germany could be. 

On 1/14/2019 at 8:36 PM, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

A villain who respects the law is possible, but needs more than just "this man is a bad man".  The law isn't necessarily good or just, and blind adherence to it can result in horrible things. 

Captain Hans, no-nonsense American police chief isn't a villain.  Captain Hans, no-nonsense police chief in 1943 Germany could be. 

Actually Laws ARE inherently good or bad. They reflect the morality of a society. Hence we can say that certain Laws though (somehow) are legal are wrong. This is why we can say killing Jews and other undesirables is immoral even though Germany passed a law stating that I was legal.

1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Actually Laws ARE inherently good or bad. They reflect the morality of a society. Hence we can say that certain Laws though (somehow) are legal are wrong. This is why we can say killing Jews and other undesirables is immoral even though Germany passed a law stating that I was legal.

I'm confused by why this post is worded in a strongly argumentative manner when I can't see any way it disagrees with mine.  What am I missing? 

Code of the hero and respects the law should probably be different issues as they could come into conflict in some societies, say in Nazi Germany as an example.  The code of the hero would eventually turn the character into a rebel against his government where as the respects the law would be a villain before the war but might become a hero after the war.