Superhero power archetypes

Certified

First choice would be a blaster who can fly, but that's not an option.  So, voted for sorcerer...because it's the only one on the list with comprehensive versatility.

I don't want to be too critical on the poll, but...what's the real difference between the Blaster and the Gunner?  Between the Tank and the Unstoppable?  And you even note that the Weapon Master is a subset of the Martial Artist.

19 minutes ago, Cancer said:

You left the "f" out of "Shapeshifter", and that indicates a power suite I had never considered before!!  :rofl:

Also, I don't see Teleporter as an option, which is another fave of mine.

Most Teleporters are Martial Artist.

38 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

First choice would be a blaster who can fly, but that's not an option.  So, voted for sorcerer...because it's the only one on the list with comprehensive versatility.

I don't want to be too critical on the poll, but...what's the real difference between the Blaster and the Gunner?  Between the Tank and the Unstoppable?  And you even note that the Weapon Master is a subset of the Martial Artist.

A lot of the choices were around what makes the character's unique. A blaster could easily also fly. The gunner is unique because of the implicit lethality. Same with a weapon master. Once I get back to my place I may update the post to make those concepts clearer.

Edit: the difference between the tank and unstoppable is the difference between Colossus and Deadpool. 

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

I voted, but a points-based poll would have been easier than a class-based one.

I was surprised by the "shapeshitter" option, seems like that's a really specialized archetype...  ;)  Anyone want to stat out an example?

Just call him Matter-Defecator Lad and go from there.  You even get an origin story for free: same organism, but with eliminatory tract separated from the intake tract in this universe, but connected via a space-time warp through an alternate universe.

5 hours ago, unclevlad said:

To help with confusion I've updated the descriptions and added a lead in paragraph explaining characters that might overlap. Hope this helps. 

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

I voted, but a points-based poll would have been easier than a class-based one.

I was surprised by the "shapeshitter" option, seems like that's a really specialized archetype...  ;)  Anyone want to stat out an example?

This typo has been corrected. Sorry for the confusion. 

10 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Yeah, I would think the best way this poll should have been done was to have a primary and secondary (at least, maybe a 3rd or even 4th).  Very few characters I create can be put into just one of those categories.  (ex. I've create a few characters who can fly but they'd be virtually useless if I didn't have something to back that up, Superman is a flyer, but 3 or 4 other categories in there-at least-compose him too)

Note: Not sure Weapon Master can be contained purely into Martial Artistry.  Gun expert would be a weapon master, but technically wouldn't need to know much MA. (though it could likely help in certain common scenarios)  Edit: I overlooked the whole Gunner thing, I get it now.  Though, typically "Weapon Master" does invoke gun use as a subset, mentally.

Boy, honestly, when I saw Ultra-Human, Superman did not cross my mind.  Batman, Captain America...those were what came to mind.  Not any one physical thing is better, but most are.  But no powers per se;  I don't count gadgets or Cap's shield.  Superman's Tank, Unstoppable, Flyer, Speedster, Sensemonger (an important overlooked type...ESPer, clairvoyant, but XRay, Telescopic, Microscopic, AND Super-hearing....he's a sensemonger) and even a bit of Blaster, altho he rarely uses it.

There definitely are similarities between Gunner -- Weapons Master -- Martial Artist, with that relative positioning.  My read, if all 3 categories are on the table:  Gunner is ranged with foci, Weapons Master is foci with a general implication of no range (but not always), and Martial Artist is no range, mostly no foci (but weapons can be secondary).