Superhero power archetypes

Certified

6 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Boy, honestly, when I saw Ultra-Human, Superman did not cross my mind.  Batman, Captain America...those were what came to mind.  Not any one physical thing is better, but most are.  But no powers per se;  I don't count gadgets or Cap's shield.  Superman's Tank, Unstoppable, Flyer, Speedster, Sensemonger (an important overlooked type...ESPer, clairvoyant, but XRay, Telescopic, Microscopic, AND Super-hearing....he's a sensemonger) and even a bit of Blaster, altho he rarely uses it.

For Superman Tank is probably a better choice. The Ultra-Human was meant to represent a character that displays multiple superior characteristics, as you point out Captain America is a great example. The reason I tend to put Superman in that category is when I think about the character my mind always go to the old tagline of faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Of course Superman has come a long way sense then so Ultra-Human does not fit nearly as well. 

16 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Boy, honestly, when I saw Ultra-Human, Superman did not cross my mind.  Batman, Captain America...those were what came to mind.  Not any one physical thing is better, but most are.  But no powers per se;  I don't count gadgets or Cap's shield.  Superman's Tank, Unstoppable, Flyer, Speedster, Sensemonger (an important overlooked type...ESPer, clairvoyant, but XRay, Telescopic, Microscopic, AND Super-hearing....he's a sensemonger) and even a bit of Blaster, altho he rarely uses it.

There definitely are similarities between Gunner -- Weapons Master -- Martial Artist, with that relative positioning.  My read, if all 3 categories are on the table:  Gunner is ranged with foci, Weapons Master is foci with a general implication of no range (but not always), and Martial Artist is no range, mostly no foci (but weapons can be secondary).  

Actually Ulta-Human didn't come to mind with Superman for me either.  But, yeah Tank/Unstoppable/Blaster/Flyer were the first 4 (and remembering he flies fast put the Speedster quickly in)

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:13 AM, unclevlad said:

Boy, honestly, when I saw Ultra-Human, Superman did not cross my mind.  Batman, Captain America...those were what came to mind.  Not any one physical thing is better, but most are.  But no powers per se;  I don't count gadgets or Cap's shield. 

a military martial artist ?

10 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I do like Mentalists too, but hoo BOY they're expensive to build for me.  I'll be interested to see your take on them.

Mentalists can be a lot of fun. We include a sample villain team in the core book. They are led by a Mentalist named Mock. He was a fun character to develop, and includes an attack called I'm Telekinetic, you're just Telepathetic which pummels heroes with loose objects in the area distracting them and keeping them off guard. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:16 PM, Old Man said:

That seems ripe for GM abuse.

"It's about time you got out of the bathroom Matter-Defecator Lad, I really need to pee."

"NO NO NO YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO IN THERE!!"

*sigh*  "Again?"

"Quick I need the number for a plumber I haven't called before!"

I think Matter Eater Lad is also Matter Defecator Lad, only about 12 hours after doing the former.

Lets put it all together and see what we can make. It's the Gadgeteer. This was a fun write up, if only because there are so many ways to take the Archetype. While we don't really get into it in the article, we do provide a character example from our AP series that uses magic instead of tech.

http://housedok.com/power-archetype-the-gadgeteer/

Well, the gadgeteer can practically be the exemplar for "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  A fairly common theme is that paratech (a term a former GM liked to use for the toys created by supers) is often not understandable or replicable even by the best non-super experts.  The tin suit has this to some degree, but I think the one-off toys of the gadgeteer frequently fall into this class.  My definition of magic is pretty much when there's effect but no understandable cause.

• 2 weeks later...

F Paul Wilson's story (published as a book titled Healer, but I have only read a shorter magazine version titled Pard) has a pure sci-fi take on symbionts.  So does Zelazny's Doorways in the Sand, though that latter is more limited and inobvious.  A very obscure short story titled Zozzl is a variant in that the the symbiont is not internal (it doesn't share the human's body; it's more like a lap cat in form), and it's psionically active when unpartnered but the human-zozzl partnership is a vastly potent psionicist.