Paralyzing Venom

TranquiloUno

Question

How do you build a paralyzing venom, per this question: https://www.facebook.com/groups/herofangroup/permalink/2032491176809966

Mostly: How can you build a Based on CON, Entangle I guess. Making it BOEVC\Alternate Combat Value doesn't make it a mental power and Based on CON is only for Mental Powers, right? 

What's the way to build a paralyzing venom that can be "broken" by CON rather than Ego\Str?

1 answer to this question

I don’t normally answer “how to” questions, but for once I’ll make an exception. Here’s how I’d do it:

1. Buy an Entangle with Takes No Damage From Attacks (+1).

2. Apply addtional Power Modifiers that allow the Entangle to work against CON rather than STR.

That second step is a little tricky, though. ;) One option is to adapt the Based On CON (-1) Limitation, which ordinarily only applies to Mental Powers, to this ability.

But here’s another option. I swear to 3d6 random gods of your choice that somewhere in one of the 6E books we published rules for using alternate Characteristics for things like this (and various other powers), but damned if I can find them right now, and I don’t have time to keep looking. So, what I’ve appended below are optional rules for escaping Entangles using alternate Characteristics that we published in Digital Hero #5. I’ll consider putting these in APG3 (unless, of course, someone points me to where the “using alternate Characteristics” rules are already in print).

Here ya go:

Entangles Affecting Characteristics Other Than STR

Under the standard rules, a character breaks out of an Entangle using STR. 6E1 217 provides rules for creating Entangles that require EGO to break out of instead of STR. It’s possible to extend the reasoning behind “Mental Paralysis” Entangles to create Entangles affecting other Characteristics.

Doing this requires a Power Modifier, Works Against [CHAR], Not STR. This Modifier may be an Advantage or a Limitation, depending on whether, in the campaign, the average character is likely to have the affected Primary Characteristic at a lower or higher level than STR. If it’s likely to be higher, Works Against [CHAR], Not STR is probably a Limitation; if it’s likely to be lower, it’s probably an Advantage. This takes into account not only Characteristic cost (expensive Characteristics are likely to be lower than STR), but the nature of the campaign and types of characters in it (in a psionics campaign, EGOs are usually higher than STRs). The value of the Modifier depends on the average relative level of the two Characteristics, as indicated by the accompanying table.

[[BOX TEXT]]
WORKS AGAINST [CHAR] SUGGESTED VALUES

Affected Characteristic Is,
On The Average...        Suggested Value

Much higher than STR        -½ or more
Slightly higher than STR        -¼
Equal to STR            -0
Slightly lower than STR        +¼
Much lower than STR        +½ or more
[[END BOX]]

Here are some guesstimates of these values for “average” HERO System campaigns, with descriptions of possible special effects. The number in front of the slash represents the value in Heroic campaigns, the number after the slash the value in Superheroic games. Many of the suggested special effects require the Takes No Damage From Attacks Advantage.

Works Against DEX, Not STR (-0 / +¼):  This might represent energy bonds that can’t be broken, only wiggled out of, coils that stretch so much they’re unbreakable but which the character can squeeze out of, and so forth.

Works Against CON, Not STR (-0 / +¼):  This might represent paralytic attacks such as some venoms and nerve strikes — it’s not the strength of the character’s muscles or will that governs how long he’s paralyzed, but his hardiness and fitness.

Works Against INT, Not STR (-0 / +½):  This might represent psychic attacks that put the victim in a “mental maze” he has to “escape” from before he can act, or a puzzle so absorbing a character can’t do anything but try to figure it out until he somehow forces himself to look away from it.

Works Against EGO, Not STR (+¼ / +¼):  This represents “Mental Paralysis,” as discussed on 6E1 217.

Works Against PRE, Not STR (+¼ / +½):  This might simulate the ability to inspire unwavering awe, or a terror attack leaving the victim so frightened he can’t move.

Works Against BODY, Not STR (+½ / +½):  This might represent attacks similar to Works Against CON.

A character attempting to break out of one of these “exotic Entangles” may use his “Casual” Characteristic, in exactly the same way that Casual STR works against normal Entangles. This costs END at the standard rate of 1 per 10 Active Points used (including the base points the character gets “for free” in the Characteristic). An exotic Entangle functions in all ways as a standard Entangle (it reduces the victim’s DCV to zero, and so forth). Depending on the special effect involved, another character who wants to “attack” the Entangle to free a trapped comrade may actually have to try actions other than attacking (such as slapping the victim’s face, splashing water on him, or shouting out clues and encouragement).