Build this power

Tech

17 hours ago, Christopher said:

An idea I thought about for "Mental Resistance" was not increasing the Ego directly, but increasing the Breakout roll:

"2-point Skill Levels with Breakout Roll"

each 2-point Level allows: " +1 with one Skill or Characteristic Roll". But it propably only covers Ego or Con breakout Rolls, not both.

The 3 point level might cover "+1 with Ego Breakout, Con Breakout and Resist Social Skill Rolls"

???  Have I been doing breakouts from Entangles wrong?  I've been rolling the number of dice = STR / 5 (or EGO / 5 if Mental Paralysis) and counting BODY, then applying that against the defense and BODY of the Entangle. 

Using skill levels sounds like you're making a 9 + (STR / 5) or a 9 + (EGO / 5) roll - if so, how does that roll apply against the Entangle defense and BODY?

2 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

???  Have I been doing breakouts from Entangles wrong?  I've been rolling the number of dice = STR / 5 (or EGO / 5 if Mental Paralysis) and counting BODY, then applying that against the defense and BODY of the Entangle.  

Using skill levels sounds like you're making a 9 + (STR / 5) or a 9 + (EGO / 5) roll - if so, how does that roll apply against the Entangle defense and BODY? 

This was about Mental Powers like Mind Control, Mental Illusion. Those get a Breakout roll.

I do not think the statistics roll to break an entangle has a name.

10 hours ago, Christopher said:

Damage Negation covering Entangles falls into GM approval. GM approval that needs some serious stretching of the meaning of the words:

"A character purchases Damage Negation
separately for each class of attacks (Physical,
Energy, or Mental). Damage Negation for any
category costs 5 Character Points per -1 DC. Tis
is considered a form of Resistant Defense. It works
against Normal Damage, AVADs, Killing Attacks,
Drain STUN or Drain BODY (but not other types
of Drains), and any other type of damage the GM
allows it to affect in its category."

6E1 133

Which is fine...however, I would suggest that a mental entangle tends to be much more similar to other mental powers than a physical entangle is to physically damaging attacks, so I, at least, would allow the Damage Negation to function.  YMMV

Regarding the OP, what about the following:

Drain BODY 2d6, AoE (Personal Surface; +1/4), 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/4), Constant (+1/2); Only vs. Mental Entangles (-1), No Range (-1/2).  50 AP, 20 RP.  You may want to make it Invisible to Sight and Hearing (+3/4), which increases it to 65 AP, 26 RP.

If you use standard effect, and account for the halving of effect for Draining a Defense Power, you're removing 3 BODY per Phase (assuming the Entangle doesn't include Power Defense), and since it's a damage shield, it would affect the mental entangle as soon as it hits him.  This likely removes the Entangle that Phase, if not then 2 Phases max.  (Edit to add:  This also doesn't require a half-Phase action by the character, either.)

2 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Regarding the OP, what about the following:

Drain BODY 2d6, AoE (Personal Surface; +1/4), 0 END (+1/2), Persistent (+1/4), Constant (+1/2); Only vs. Mental Entangles (-1), No Range (-1/2).  50 AP, 20 RP.  You may want to make it Invisible to Sight and Hearing (+3/4), which increases it to 65 AP, 26 RP.

If you use standard effect, and account for the halving of effect for Draining a Defense Power, you're removing 3 BODY per Phase (assuming the Entangle doesn't include Power Defense), and since it's a damage shield, it would affect the mental entangle as soon as it hits him.  This likely removes the Entangle that Phase, if not then 2 Phases max.  (Edit to add:  This also doesn't require a half-Phase action by the character, either.)

Reading the info on Mental Paralysis (6E1:217), it says that the only powers that affect it are Mental Blast and...

any power built like a Mental Power via ACV and AVAD (uses OMCV against DMCV, is protected against by Mental Defense) that does STUN and/or BODY

So the above power would also need ACV (OMCV vs. DMCV; +1/4) and AVAD (Mental Defense; +0), making it 55 AP, 22 RP (or 70 AP, 28 RP with the IPE added on).