Using Alternate Characteristics

Steve Long

Hey, Herodom, I need your help!

A few minutes ago I answered a rules question about breaking out of an Entangle using a Characteristic other than STR. I swear to 3d6 random gods of your choice that somewhere in one of the 6E books we published rules for using alternate Characteristics for things like this (and various other powers), but damned if I can find them, and I'm tired of wasting time looking.

Other than the HEROglyphs column I wrote in Digital Hero #5, can any of you point me to these rules? If there isn't something like this in print I want to put these rules in APG3, but I just can't shake the feeling that we've already published 'em.

Any help much appreciated!

APG I     Page 57 ATTACKS AGAINST ALTERNATE CHARACTERISTICS 

This page also covers

Alternate Characteristic Entangles: A character attempting to break out of one of these alternate Characteristic Entangles uses the indicated Characteristic in exactly the same way that STR works against normal Entangles. This costs END at the standard rate of 1 per 10 Active Points used (including the base 10 points the character gets “for free” in the Characteristic). (He may also use his Characteristic Casually; see 6E1 131-32)

So thats probably what you're looking for.

If you have Adobe Acrobat (reader or pro/dc) CTRL+Shift+F and select your folder under browse for location and you can search your entire Hero PDF directory for specific phrasing

Entangle.PNG

Speaking of that reference, I was trying to see whether 'Works Against CON, Not STR' as a +1/4 Advantage as Steve suggested for superheroic games in DH#5 is still the case.

I'm curious how others feel about this. Do characters tend to have more STR than CON in campaigns you play or run?

On October 25, 2018 at 2:13 PM, cptpatriot said:

Speaking of that reference, I was trying to see whether 'Works Against CON, Not STR' as a +1/4 Advantage as Steve suggested for superheroic games in DH#5 is still the case.

I'm curious how others feel about this. Do characters tend to have more STR than CON in campaigns you play or run?

In Heroic level campaigns?  Never.

In Supers?  Sometimes.  Almost all bricks, of course, and the occasional person who's "super strength" does not come from an outside source like powered armor or magic spells or what have you, or simply doesn't reach "brick country."  For the most part, our characters tend to be super-robust, no matter how strong (or not strong) they may be.  Con is almost always more important to my players (and me, really) than STR.

14 hours ago, dmjalund said:

How does an inanimate object interact with Entangles vs Alternate Characteristics?

8 hours ago, dmjalund said:

if yo entangle an object you make it inaccessible to others, usually stuck to whatever place it was when it was entangled

If they do not have the Characterstic, nothing happens. You cant affect a rock with "Paralisation Venom". Nor prevent it's voluntary movement by attacking it's mind. (404, Mind not found).

The default entagle broken with STR/Attacks asumess a physical force preventing movement. Stuff like chains, Glue and the like.

On 10/25/2018 at 9:56 AM, Heimdallsgothi said:

APG I     Page 57 ATTACKS AGAINST ALTERNATE CHARACTERISTICS 

This page also covers

Alternate Characteristic Entangles: A character attempting to break out of one of these alternate Characteristic Entangles uses the indicated Characteristic in exactly the same way that STR works against normal Entangles. This costs END at the standard rate of 1 per 10 Active Points used (including the base 10 points the character gets “for free” in the Characteristic). (He may also use his Characteristic Casually; see 6E1 131-32)

So thats probably what you're looking for.

If you have Adobe Acrobat (reader or pro/dc) CTRL+Shift+F and select your folder under browse for location and you can search your entire Hero PDF directory for specific phrasing

Entangle.PNG

This.

45 minutes ago, Tech said:

Same here Ninja-B. Almost always, CON is higher than STR, unless the superhero uses STR primarily as their attack. Even some martial artists have a higher CON than STR. 

But that goes into fringe cases where "+ Break out of Grab" Martial Arst might be useable on Entangles.

28 minutes ago, Tech said:

Huh? I'm not following.

Thsi question was about "using Alternate Characteristics to break out of a Entangle".

You said that even in your games "Martial Artists have more CON then STR".

I pointed out how there is a option to let Martial ARts Manevuers with withe "+STR break out of Grab" Element apply to breaking out of a Entangle.  Wich should tip the balance of exchanging STR for CON in favor of STR.