Days Won

Mister E

15 hours ago, Starlord said:

Whoa.  Big Man on Campus.

pssst!   psssst!  Hey, Kid....

You misspelled "Old."

:)

9 hours ago, archer said:

If I started paying attention to stuff like "days won", I'd start posting things in an attempt to get likes and trying to avoid conversations where I had an unpopular opinion.

So I have to cover my eyes and pretend that stuff like that doesn't exist here or I'd be off chasing the ever-elusive "like".

Yep.  That first part brings out some weird competition.  I couldn't abide by that second part, though.  If someone _asks_ for opinion, I will politely give it, popular or not.  I've never had trouble distinguishing between "one guy's opinion" and "this guy is saying that it's a fact!"  Granted, that tends to put me at odds with the majority of social media, but hey-- in eighty years, we'll all be dead, and if there's an afterlife, all you have to remember is that time you just _wasted_ shouting at a complete stranger. :lol:

Seriously though, back when I had my motorcycle-centric board, I had to turn off all that "rep" and "post count" nonsense.  Not for myself, personally, but we had a high push for actual education: you can get all the "cool biker stuff" _everywhere_ on the web.  We wanted to help improve your riding, wrenching, and skills, and not offer a ten-day course of when and where to "wave."  (ugh).  The problem was the number of newer members who would assign way to much credibility to someone simply because he had seventeen thousand posts or a high rep (even if it all came from his 16,892 posts in the jokes thread).

Made things confusing for people looking for serious answers from a trustworthy source.

1 hour ago, archer said:

You just have to post more cute kitten pictures.

Everyone likes "I haz cheeseburgers!"

And if you want to absolutely _maximize_ your replies, toss in a few typos.  Nothing gets replies like a typo.  You could be giving away sacks of money, and ten people would be interested.  Give away sax of monie, though, and you'll get nine hundred replies in _no time_. :lol:

I will say this, though:

If it's going to tell me when I "won the day," it would be nice to have at least one link, just so I can know what the heck I did... :head scratch:

12 hours ago, archer said:

If I started paying attention to stuff like "days won", I'd start posting things in an attempt to get likes and trying to avoid conversations where I had an unpopular opinion.

So I have to cover my eyes and pretend that stuff like that doesn't exist here or I'd be off chasing the ever-elusive "like".

I've had my account since 2007 and in that time have been active in the forums about a year total. I've "won" a single day so far but have participated in a lot of great conversations.

You can be like me, and be too lazy to care   *goes back to shooting spitballs at the back of Starlord's head*

I won my 6th grade school spelling bee and I won 3rd place in my high school art show for a pencil drawing of the Marvel villain Dragon Man.  Lessee, I also won approximately $300 playing blackjack on a cruise ship in 1995.  The most I've ever won from a lotto ticket was maybe $10.

That's it I think.

16 hours ago, Starlord said:

Hah!  I knew that was you!  Just wait till dodgeball in 6th period Gym, I'm taking you out first!

You can try, I'll be hiding behind Pariah and Cancer using them as human shields.

Note: In elementary school, I actually did use such a strategy, and I was always one of the last standing. :eg: