dsatow

What would you like to see HERO games produce next?

What would you like to see HERO games produce next?  

38 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What would you like to see HERO games produce next

• Reprint some of the existing books (like the two core books, UMA, etc)
    • A Genre Book (like Star Hero, Fantasy Hero, etc.)
    • Adventure Modules (Invaders From Below)
    • Organization book (Viper or Destroyer)
    • Enemies Book (Champions Villains Volume One: Master Villains)
    • Settings Book (Like Strikeforce)
    • Paper Accessories (like Paper Heroes, or Map posters)
    • Miniatures (like Standard pewter, Heroclix, or the paintable plastic minis from D&D and Pathfinder)
    • Dice
    • Champions the Movie/TV series/Streaming series (yeah, right)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/2018 at 07:59 AM

Well, its a lot of work and people would need to step the hell up instead of just talking.  Maybe once I get this novel finished I'll bust out the Champions Begins notes and get to that, make it the start of a campaign loop.  Between Normals Unbound, Corporate Enemies, and the rest of the Champions Universe stuff, it shouldn't be that hard to build a quick campaign.  I mean you would need to work out how to update the old adventures but I think it could be done.

For me the tough part would be working out the formatting, so its a shared design template between all the same campaign's products.

I think something on the level of Living Arcanis might be feasible (for Champions). They are large enough to be at regional cons (they are at U-Con in Ann Arbor every year), and they are always busy, but not at the PFS or AL level. I think that is a reasonable expectation for size of an organized play system, something that I think would be key to the success of the efforts described above. However, what surprises me is that we haven't seen something like this for Mutants and Masterminds, a supers game that objectively gets played more than Champions. None the less, if the numbers from Living Arcanis come in at say 4 authors, 6 regional managers, 2 web support staff, and then the need to draw about 50 players per regional con, plus an expectation of at least monthly games in 50 cities nationwide we might be able to get something going.

Not to rain too much on the parade here...

Those last two posts are SUPER sexist. The easily parsed message from between those lines is a) wives should provide more snacks for their husbands and b) hot women are something to snack on. It's like everything you were afraid of seeing in the Man-Cave RPG Den on full display.

Do we really want HERO Games (and this community... and the RPG...) construed as the misogynist haven of RPG-land?

Here in the 21st century we also don't put naked pin-ups in the locker-room or slap our female co-workers on the hiney as a form of "good morning". I suggest we update our perspective.

Sincerely.

On 8/9/2019 at 2:46 AM, archer said:

Maybe what we really need are more wives who are willing to provide snacks for their gaming group.

Would you show up for a HERO game if she provided snacks?

Even if she wasn't there, i'd show.  You know how are it is to find an open good HERO game?!

47 minutes ago, dsatow said:

Even if she wasn't there, i'd show.  You know how are it is to find an open good HERO game?!

Yeah, they're multi-millionaires, they're celebrities, and she's considered to be one of the most attractive ladies on the planet.

But the reason his game draws a crowd is that his wife offers snacks.

< snickers >

I honestly couldn't pick her husband out of a crowd and don't know his name without looking it up. But I'd show up for a game.

On 8/9/2019 at 8:08 PM, Trechriron10 said:

Those last two posts are SUPER sexist. The easily parsed message from between those lines is a) wives should provide more snacks for their husbands and b) hot women are something to snack on. It's like everything you were afraid of seeing in the Man-Cave RPG Den on full display.

Do we really want HERO Games (and this community... and the RPG...) construed as the misogynist haven of RPG-land?

Here in the 21st century we also don't put naked pin-ups in the locker-room or slap our female co-workers on the hiney as a form of "good morning". I suggest we update our perspective.

Sincerely.

Thank you for this post.  Many of my past gaming groups have had a number of women in them.  They would be turned off by such posts.  +50% of the population is women and many of them don't game ... Yet... The above two posts are not helpful to the community or the industry as a whole.

On 7/30/2019 at 4:18 PM, Legendsmiths said:

I'm sorry to hear that. The intent was very much to make a stand-alone product that used the Hero System as its engine but did not require the core books to play. Part of that was to attempt to create a magic system that didn't feel like super powers. I had also hoped that the structure of the book was instructive to non-Hero players (but maybe because of that it was confusing to Hero vets).

At the time when I bought it I was exploring possibilities for a new campaign setting.  Something that I could use with many gaming groups, taking place in different locations and spanning many different time periods.  As I studied the material in Narosia setting I was impressed with the detail and balance that was provided.  It gave me ideas.  I came to the conclusion about 1/3 of the way thru the material that I could spend a lot of time organizing the material in a way that I could use for a campaign world or I could create my own campaign world.  For me the second choice became a good option.

I would encourage anyone looking for something outside the box of a typical Fantasy Hero setting to get a copy of Narosia and use it as their own.

1 hour ago, bluesguy said:

I would encourage anyone looking for something outside the box of a typical Fantasy Hero setting to get a copy of Narosia and use it as their own.

Thank you very much. One of the things I am very happy with is the equipment section, and that is very portable. I spent a lot of time (and spreadsheets) on balancing weapons and armor in a way that would be familiar to Hero gamers but tired to ensure that every weapon was unique and had purpose. That armor worked piecemeal for unique combinations. The equipment stuff is very portable to any setting, as are things like our approach to the cost of magic items, a different way to cost spells, critical hits, and stuff like that. It is still very much a toolkit so I'm glad you were able to find uses for the content for your own work.

@Legendsmiths

I have Narosia and wanted to compliment you on the book.  Great job

But in general it, and pretty much all the released Hero fantasy, didn't give me the setting I needed. 

Being super unique is great with a group of players that all have copious amounts of free time and open schedules allowing all of them to study a setting.

But in the now, people are short of time and simply will not be able to digest an entire world setting that deliberately avoids any similarities with the "generic" settings.

One the reasons D&D, PF and C&C are doing so well is their similarity.  If you understand the core classes/player races and have a general knowledge of monsters/creatures in one, you understand the others. 

Fantasy Hero needs that same kind of "generic" setting as a starting point.  Races: generic elf, generic dwarf, generic human, etc.  Archetypes to mimic generic fighter, theif, etc.

A familiar starting point.  Hero has gone all in for the Mega-DM/ GM.  Piffil on those lowley scum known as the working or beginning gamer.  We shall only acknowledge those that expend every waking instant to their hyper-detailed world.....  This until the game is pretty much extinct.

Fantasy Hero needs a starting point that will draw in new players.  Start with the same typeof choices D&D/PF gives.  Once they get a chance to play they will find they want things not in the book.  And with Hero they can actually customize. Victory.

Look at magic in most of the FH settings. There are no spells, just alphabetical walls of text and math.

Divide the spells into categorys and list them in stat-blocks.  Attack, Defence, Movement, etc.  Start the section with a list of spells by name. 

MAKE IT SIMPLE!!!

Hide the full write-up in an appendix for later.

A new player should be able to build a mage PC and pick spell with no concept of how to point out a spell. 

A new player should be able understand their PCs role just by hearing Elf Ranger. 

AFTER this stage they can go on to cool settings like Narosia and making homebrews. 

But you have to crawl before you can run.

On 8/9/2019 at 6:08 PM, Trechriron10 said:

Sincerely.

6 hours ago, bluesguy said:

Thank you for this post.  Many of my past gaming groups have had a number of women in them.  They would be turned off by such posts.  +50% of the population is women and many of them don't game ... Yet... The above two posts are not helpful to the community or the industry as a whole.

Agreed.  We need to not exclude half the population.  We're trying to get more Hero gamers, not fewer.