Archetype Arts

Asperion

Each of the different archetypes will develop its own style of combat that is dependent upon the conventional abilities of that archetype.  For example, speedsters will develop a style that utilizes their great speed and agility over their opposition to both land targeted blows easier and make attacks against them harder, while bricks will rely upon their great defense to absorb the damage while their great strength will pound through the defense of the opposition.  I got wondering what martial arts the different archetypes would develop given sufficient time and resources.  Like their real world counterpart, these do not need to be purely combat driven.  In fact, the best ones are often started out of combat then have combat abilities added in.  

10 hours ago, Asperion said:

I got wondering what martial arts the different archetypes would develop given sufficient time and resources.  Like their real world counterpart, these do not need to be purely combat driven.  In fact, the best ones are often started out of combat then have combat abilities added in.   

Hero System Martial Arts has you partially covered. There are "Fictional Martial Arts" starting at HSMA 78:

Battle Shifting (how the Martian Manhunter or beast boy would fight)

Brick Tricks

Enerjutsu (one of the rare ranged Martial Arts styles introduced in that book)

"Four Celestial Kung Fu"

"Gun Fu", aka the Gun Katta for Equilibrium. Anotehr ranged Martial Arts

Hypercombat - the speedster style

"Red In tooth and Claw" wich is a "Martial Art" for Werewolves and the like. I actually thought about giving animals (like the Constrictor Snakes) martial arts to simulate their unique advantages in some combat ways*

Shiroi Sumomo Kempo

thunder Dragon Kung Fu

And of coruse the book allows you to build your own Martial Arts styles and even maneuvers.

*A constrictor snake grabs and uses attacks while grabbing way above it's STR level.

Teleporters:

Buy Martial Arts in whatever flavor you see fit (Maneuvers, Powers, whatever).

Also buy Stretching: Indirect.  SFX is striking into a portal in front of you.  Fists / feet / beak / tail / whatever appears from second portal next to target and delivers smack down.

Loads of fun.  Buy Clairsentience and do it with your head!  :lol:

11 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Teleporters:

Buy Martial Arts in whatever flavor you see fit (Maneuvers, Powers, whatever).

Also buy Stretching: Indirect.  SFX is striking into a portal in front of you.  Fists / feet / beak / tail / whatever appears from second portal next to target and delivers smack down.

Loads of fun.  Buy Clairsentience and do it with your head!  :lol:

If you got stretching, you can use the sense on your head freely while streched.

Stretching has the explicit weakness that it opens you up to normal detection and enemy attacks at the point your head is currently at. That alone justifies the ranged abilities it gives you.

20 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Right.  I am suggesting an alternate. Build for teleporters.   Clairsentience, can be attacked at POV location, - 1.  (-2 if you use hit locations).  Maybe RSR T-port skill.  

"Strechting, Does not Cross Interveenign Space (+1/4)" already does that for way cheaper. Even if you had to add Indirect to get past barriers, that should still come out cheaper.

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

My appologies;

I forgot 5th gave Indirect a less-expensive name. 

???

Both 6E and 5E Character Creation Handbook say:
" Te Does Not Cross Intervening Space Advantage does not impart any Indirect properties to
Stretching that Stretching doesn’t already possess.
For example, it doesn’t allow Stretching to automatically bypass Barriers or similar obstacles. If
a character wants this type of Stretching to be
that Indirect, he has to pay for that Advantage.
"

Wich is why I wrote:

"Even if you had to add Indirect to get past barriers, that should still come out cheaper."

Two questions:

Does not cross intervening space is affected by things in the intervening space through which you did not have to pass?  Is this correct? 

Second:

You are suggesting that buying stretching does not cross yadda yadda and adding Indirect is cheaper than buying stretching Indirect.  Is that correct? 

I believe how Not crossing Space is used is that with Stretching, you can now manipulate things at range as no range. Since Stretching has some inherent indirection, you could reach around say a tv in a living room because that’s inherent in Stretching. However,  Does not cross intervening space though doesn’t allow to freely pass a power -say barrier. The character should buy full indirect to allow that.  

Thanks.  I'm not clear on this, as goofy things like this are why I don't use 5 as little more than a source book and don't use 6 at all.  But maybe you can help me with the rationale:

How is it that I can not cross that space-- arrive safely on the other side of that space, but somehow be affected by barriers or obstacles in that space?   I can't help but picture a teleporter tripping over something halfway to his destination.  I guess, ultimately, why does this exist when Indirect worked for a couple of decades prior?

56 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Thanks.  I'm not clear on this, as goofy things like this are why I don't use 5 as little more than a source book and don't use 6 at all.  But maybe you can help me with the rationale:

How is it that I can not cross that space-- arrive safely on the other side of that space, but somehow be affected by barriers or obstacles in that space?   I can't help but picture a teleporter tripping over something halfway to his destination.  I guess, ultimately, why does this exist when Indirect worked for a couple of decades prior?

If I understand you correctly, are you saying that barriers don’t affect Teleporters? In fourth edition they’re affected by barriers. Hence the blind t-port rules.

It's a general question:

How does "doesn't cross intervening space" differ from "Indirect"?

The name of the Advantage seems to imply that DNCIS allows you to move from point A to point D without having to pass through points B and C.  Christopher gave a from-the-book definition that implies that even so, the character is still hampered by obstacles placed at points B and C.

I am hoping for an explanation of this phenomenon-- either a rationalization that makes sense, or an example for clarity.   

The example I came up with was based on my original understanding of DNCIS: by my understanding, it was essentially teleporting: you moved from point A to point D without passing through B & C.  It simply lacks the "instant" effect of teleporting.  Christopher's definition suggests it is not teleporting at all, as the teleporter can somehow "trip" or have to go around an obstacle placed somewhere that he isn't actually going to be.

I hope that helps.  If nothing else, it shows you where I am. :lol:

16 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Second: 

You are suggesting that buying stretching does not cross yadda yadda and adding Indirect is cheaper than buying stretching Indirect.  Is that correct? 

I am saying that "Stretching, DNCIS, Indirect" is propably cheaper then build powers like "Clarisentience, Head is attackable at the point of Perception".

Ok Doesn’t cross intervening space is an advantage for Stretching. It means that I can use my strength at range but is considered for range purposes self. Now with DCIS, my arm even if it’s 20” away cannot be targeted along that 20”. I can be at the character or at the end of course but not along that 20”. Now if you have indirect on Stretching then your arm is still attackable along that 20”. 

Got it.

Thanks to both of you.

I'm sticking with the earlier models of Indirect, I think. :lol:  I know: no one is surprised.  But thank you both: I believe I understand it now: DNCIS does what we used to assume was the effect of Indirect on stretching, which is to say Hand appears, say 20" away, grabs the thing, and appears back on the end of the character's wrist, but the arm never stretched across the ballroom.  

Thanks again.