Supervillain lair inspiration thread

megaplayboy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superconducting_Super_Collider

The Superconducting Super Collider, if it had ever been finished,  would have been roughly 3 times the power of the Large Hadron Collider.

The original SSC plans were for a 54 mile long underground ring particle accelerator. Only 17 shafts to the surface and 14 miles of the tunneling were ever excavated before the project was shut down for lack of funds...supposedly. But that sounds more like the cover story of a clever scientific villainy group to me.

This is very much like my issue with getting my mail the last few months since a neighbor down the road with the same last name moved out of town.  He filed a change of address card.  Guess who's mail is getting re-directed?

No amount of complaining, verifying, even flat out yelling is getting the problem solved.  While it makes me feel all Dale Gribble to say it, once something gets into a computer database, it stays there, period.

51 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

This is very much like my issue with getting my mail the last few months since a neighbor down the road with the same last name moved out of town.  He filed a change of address card.  Guess who's mail is getting re-directed?

No amount of complaining, verifying, even flat out yelling is getting the problem solved.  While it makes me feel all Dale Gribble to say it, once something gets into a computer database, it stays there, period.

If you know the guy's new address, fill out a change of address notice that you no longer live there and to forward any mail you get there to your real home address.

(Note:  I have Bureaucracy on a 15- )

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

The programmer in me views that thinking with disgust. "Databases represent the reality." That is one of the things in DB 101 I learned.

That is litterally the arogance of the Jedi. "If it is not in our Library database, it does not exist!"

The guy who has spent months filing complaints and periodically watching people "correct" the problem in various parts of the system and who is _still_ driving forty-five miles one way twice a week to get his mail...   in me---   can't help but notice the truth to it.

Facts can be fun, boring, interesting, or even downright unpleasant.  However, they have no personality.  They can't be hateful, loving, racist, or arrogant.  And why are space wizards worried about a database?

On 12/3/2018 at 11:29 AM, Duke Bushido said:

The guy who has spent months filing complaints and periodically watching people "correct" the problem in various parts of the system and who is _still_ driving forty-five miles one way twice a week to get his mail...   in me---   can't help but notice the truth to it.

Facts can be fun, boring, interesting, or even downright unpleasant.  However, they have no personality.  They can't be hateful, loving, racist, or arrogant.  And why are space wizards worried about a database? 

It was their database of "everything in the Universe". Curated over 1000 generations. And she was the Bibliothecary. Even the Notion that someone might have deleted it was foreign for the Jedi: