It's an unpleasant day when.....

unclevlad

I didn't mention it until the family all got notified** (and being so frazzled on my occasional time here to go into it)

On Sunday, after getting back from groceries, my mother decided to trip over the stump, and fall face first.  Broke her glasses, black eye, skinned nose, few other scratches and bruises, and a hurt neck.  We really thought it a whiplash, and waited till morning.

Found out she had broken off a bone in her neck (C2).  Had surgery Tuesday (fusion of C1 and C2).  (In a period of 48 hours, I slept about 5).  She went through pretty well.  ANd is rehabbing fine, may even make it home Christmas Day.  (Ironically, despite being in her 70s, one doctor said she was tougher than 99 percent of his other patients).  Rehabbed well so far.

Good thing she hit muddy softened ground instead of the sidewalk.  

**no offense intended, just didn't seem proper talking about it on internet boards, when a couple of family living out of state hadn't been reached yet.

51 minutes ago, Badger said:

On Sunday, after getting back from groceries, my mother decided to trip over the stump, and fall face first.  Broke her glasses, black eye, skinned nose, few other scratches and bruises, and a hurt neck.  We really thought it a whiplash, and waited till morning. Found out she had broken off a bone in her neck (C2).  Had surgery Tuesday (fusion of C1 and C2).  (In a period of 48 hours, I slept about 5).  She went through pretty well.  And is rehabbing fine, may even make it home Christmas Day.  (Ironically, despite being in her 70s, one doctor said she was tougher than 99 percent of his other patients).  Rehabbed well so far.

Damn, that sucks. Glad to hear she's recovering so well, though.

Yeah, today she was talking about possibly tomorrow.  Though, I'm hoping Christmas Day (if only maybe because my protective streak has been in overdrive).  

Note: After the toughness she has shown this week, I might have to keep my mouth over her being "too easily prone to crying over sappy movies" for a while. :angel:

2nd Note: This week I've also learned how the opioid crisis is what it is, they really do push the oxycodon.  (and no my mother has refused it, which ups her bad@$$ factor)

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, death tribble said:

You get an e-mail threatening to post a video online with your e-mail address and send to all your contacts. It demands money. Contemptible

I got one of those a few months back, claiming that they had taken over my webcam (I don't have one), and they also claimed to have taken over my email, which they "proved" by spoofing my email address as the sender and claiming that the password they enclosed was the one they used (it belonged to an e-commerce site that I hadn't used in over a decade--all of my passwords are unique for each site). I only found the demand when I was verifying that nothing important was caught in my spam trap.

13 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

I got one of those a few months back, claiming that they had taken over my webcam (I don't have one), and they also claimed to have taken over my email, which they "proved" by spoofing my email address as the sender and claiming that the password they enclosed was the one they used (it belonged to an e-commerce site that I hadn't used in over a decade--all of my passwords are unique for each site). I only found the demand when I was verifying that nothing important was caught in my spam trap.

12 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Yeah, I got one of those last year too and sent it to the phishing dept.  Same thing as Ternaugh -- a password I don't use anymore anywhere.

12 hours ago, Old Man said:

The phishers are getting better. Over the holidays we got an Amazon one that looked totally legit. The only thing that was suspicious about it was that it was offering $475 in Amazon credit. If they’d picked a more realistic number like $25 everyone would have clicked it. 

Many thanks. It eases my mind to know that other people have had similar experiences and have dealt with it

15 hours ago, Old Man said:

The phishers are getting better. Over the holidays we got an Amazon one that looked totally legit. The only thing that was suspicious about it was that it was offering $475 in Amazon credit. If they’d picked a more realistic number like $25 everyone would have clicked it. 

My own security team tricked me with a great phish. On the Monday before election day, they sent a "corporate revised election policy" or something. I totally fell for it. 

What scares me about phishing is that it’s almost unstoppable. A brand new, well crafted phish will get through any filter and would be indistinguishable from real by any nontechnical user. Especially if it uses typosquatting and high quality graphics. I do IT for a living and sometimes I wonder if I ever got phished and didn’t know it. 

23 hours ago, death tribble said:

You get an e-mail threatening to post a video online with your e-mail address and send to all your contacts. It demands money. Contemptible

Hmm, I haven't looked in my e-mail address in 6 months,

Blackmailer: YO!, aren't you listening, I said I will post it online, LISTEN TO ME!!!

Blackmailer: HELLO!!!...…...HELLO?