It's an unpleasant day when.....

unclevlad

17 hours ago, Old Man said:

The phishers are getting better. Over the holidays we got an Amazon one that looked totally legit. The only thing that was suspicious about it was that it was offering $475 in Amazon credit. If they’d picked a more realistic number like $25 everyone would have clicked it.  

Of course, it is a permanent battle between Spam Producers and Spam catchers.

2 hours ago, Old Man said:

What scares me about phishing is that it’s almost unstoppable. A brand new, well crafted phish will get through any filter and would be indistinguishable from real by any nontechnical user. Especially if it uses typosquatting and high quality graphics. I do IT for a living and sometimes I wonder if I ever got phished and didn’t know it.  

As long as you do not klick on the link in the email (or at least verify it is the right one), nothing can really happen. Phishing works on getting you onto a faulty login page, where you input your Login information.

The moment you go onto the login page manually/via a link, all phishing attempts have failed.

The only links I click, is stuff like Password reset forms. After I have request the reset (becaue some password rules just preclude me being able to remember the password).

Maybe the odd "View in Browser" or "Unregister" for a Newsletter. Of wich I am only subscribed to a handfull.

1 hour ago, Christopher said:

Of course, it is a permanent battle between Spam Producers and Spam catchers.

As long as you do not klick on the link in the email (or at least verify it is the right one), nothing can really happen. Phishing works on getting you onto a faulty login page, where you input your Login information.

The moment you go onto the login page manually/via a link, all phishing attempts have failed.

The only links I click, is stuff like Password reset forms. After I have request the reset (becaue some password rules just preclude me being able to remember the password).

Maybe the odd "View in Browser" or "Unregister" for a Newsletter. Of wich I am only subscribed to a handfull.

Yeah, they mentioned that a work information thing last year, DONT click the link.

I've had three attempts at e-blackmail since August, all based on a penetration (it made the news) of the Neopets site that happenerd a few years back.  (My daughter's ancient account there; occasionally I go there and play some of the word games, but since the site owners seem to be holding onto Flash as their delivery platform I think I won't be back there again.)  Obviously the blackmailers wait for old accounts to show up alive again there and then try the blackmail quickly (the next day on the first one).  Like Ternaugh, I have no camera, and I also never use the Contacts list, so the threat contained its own refutation.

It's an unpleasant day when your 97 year-old dad in assisted living discovers that someone went into his room while he was out and took all his cash, including a few $20s he had hidden in fairly subtle places.  Only about $70-80 total, but it's the damn principle that matters here. 

Since he's wheelchair-bound and rarely leaves his room except for meals and exercise classes, and the thief apparently knew where to look, I doubt it was some resident's visitor coming through at the right time, but is more likely an employee there.  My dad is one of the nicest, easiest-going people you could ever meet.  It just pisses me off that someone would take advantage of him like that.

6 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

It's an unpleasant day when your 97 year-old dad in assisted living discovers that someone went into his room while he was out and took all his cash, including a few $20s he had hidden in fairly subtle places.  Only about $70-80 total, but it's the damn principle that matters here. 

Since he's wheelchair-bound and rarely leaves his room except for meals and exercise classes, and the thief apparently knew where to look, I doubt it was some resident's visitor coming through at the right time, but is more likely an employee there.  My dad is one of the nicest, easiest-going people you could ever meet.  It just pisses me off that someone would take advantage of him like that.

Well, when my mother was in for her neck last month, she made me take her money and stuff with me, just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a belligerent and drunk audience member get in my face and put his hands on me at the end of a show, claiming I "RUINED HIS EXPERIENCE!" because I dared to politely ask him to be quiet due to him being loud & obnoxious and ignoring our hosts.

And I had no one to vent to when I got home because my husband was at a bourbon tasting (and I was at the show in his place because he wanted to go to said tasting) -- and hubby then drank too much to the point of vomiting and near-blackout experience.  This then led to me expending even more energy to make sure he was safe & cleaned up and I didn't get any damn sleep that night.

Husband has since apologized profusely about not being there for me.  I'm still shaking about that one [BLEEP] though -- even with my castmates having my back.  But even they didn't realize until it was too late.

Need to rap the audience on the side of skull, now and again. :)

For what it is worth:

But, yeah, a few years ago, on the way from work one night, I had a run-in with some other driver, where we nearly ended up in a fight.  I kind of came to my senses (partly because replaying it my mind, I might have been 50/50 chance at fault for the near miss).  At that point, I kind of went into a semi-zoned out silence staring into the distance.  And I guess me going catatonic, he got bored and drove off.  (I guess I was in some too angry to let it go, but too wrong to escalate, so my mind just shorted out on how to proceed)

But, while I don't look for fights, I really detest backing down even when in the wrong.  It caused me to have a simmering chip on my shoulder for the next 3 days.  Even now, I am getting that small brief urge to do something thinking on it.

Note: At one point, he went with the tailgate and highbeam strategy.  Which with me and bright lights, is like taking a dog's bone and beating him with it. That kind of put my blood up to 212 degrees...….Celsius. :no:  And where I went into rabid rage mode.  And probably while I still get pissed over it a little.

Don't know if another superheated moment from someone else helps.

6 hours ago, Badger said:

But, yeah, a few years ago, on the way from work one night, I had a run-in with some other driver, where we nearly ended up in a fight.  I kind of came to my senses (partly because replaying it my mind, I might have been 50/50 chance at fault for the near miss).  At that point, I kind of went into a semi-zoned out silence staring into the distance.  And I guess me going catatonic, he got bored and drove off.  (I guess I was in some too angry to let it go, but too wrong to escalate, so my mind just shorted out on how to proceed)

But, while I don't look for fights, I really detest backing down even when in the wrong.  It caused me to have a simmering chip on my shoulder for the next 3 days.  Even now, I am getting that small brief urge to do something thinking on it.

Something about driving a car seems to bring out the worst in us.

Back when I was still a young driver and GPS/Navigation was not in every mobile phone, in ended up not properly planning my drives to new locations. With the results of me getting lost.

Wich oddly lead to me blaming the city planers to not put up enough signs with streetnames. A wierd deflection mechanism I had there.

1 hour ago, Christopher said:

Wich oddly lead to me blaming the city planers to not put up enough signs with streetnames. A wierd deflection mechanism I had there.

In all fairness, lack of good signage is piss-poor work on the city planners' part.  While Michigan has crappy drivers, in general it's not because of lack of signs or badly placed / misleading signs. It's because of lack of paying attention.

11 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Had a belligerent and drunk audience member get in my face and put his hands on me at the end of a show, claiming I "RUINED HIS EXPERIENCE!" because I dared to politely ask him to be quiet due to him being loud & obnoxious and ignoring our hosts.

Did you or anybody else point out to him that he was RUINING EVERYONE ELSE'S EXPERIENCE?  I hate jerks like that.  Sorry you had to deal with that.

I just smiled, stood my ground and told him that there had been complaints of him being obnoxious.  Apparently he had brought a full bottle of Crown Royal in with him and was knocking that back in a blue plastic cup.

Entitled piece of [BLEEP] refused to acknowledge his actions, of course.

7 hours ago, Christopher said:

Something about driving a car seems to bring out the worst in us.

Back when I was still a young driver and GPS/Navigation was not in every mobile phone, in ended up not properly planning my drives to new locations. With the results of me getting lost.

Yeah, well, I can think of a couple of cities with little ability to put up proper signage.  When my mother and me had to go to one, when we left the city to go back home, we ended up going the wrong way for 30 miles before we realized something wasn't adding up.

Heh, I once took the wrong fork and wound up in an entirely different state.  My first indication that something was wrong was that the setting sun was to the right and not straight ahead.  The second indication that something was wrong was a big sign that read "Welcome to Delaware!"

9 hours ago, Old Man said:

Heh, I once took the wrong fork and wound up in an entirely different state.  My first indication that something was wrong was that the setting sun was to the right and not straight ahead.  The second indication that something was wrong was a big sign that read "Welcome to Delaware!"

Yeah, our big indication was seeing miles away signs with towns that should not be anywhere near where we were going.

My mother sense of direction is so bad, I am amazed we didn't end up in Canada (she cant even read a road map).  Though, it was mostly my fault since I was the passenger looking out for the signs for her.  (to be fair when we got back to that spot, we found the "sole" indicator- arrows poorly drawn on the road that given the incline was kind of hard to see-especially in heavy traffic)

16 hours ago, Old Man said:

Happened to me too once.

I wanted to go towards Hanover.

I ended up going towards Hamburg, wich is a coastal city.

But at least two letters were the same :)

• 2 weeks later...

Some friends of mine just got screwed out of time and money from a con artist director who never got the rights to a particular show and lied to the cast about it.  Cast only found out about it when the cease & desist letter arrived... ?

The show was supposed to start tonight.