Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Duke Bushido

Hex map on the cheap

Some time ago, I posted in a thread about finding a hex patterned fabric.  The store (where I'm standing now) has just gotten in a brand new bolt of the red (I bought red and sand a couple years ago).  I am looking for a usable part number for anyone who might want an enter bolt. 

I've never found cheaper map: it's hard to beat $4.97 a _yard_ for map. 

I have never tried washable marker, etc, but it marks up well with chalk, or you can set it under an acrylic sheet and use any sort of wash-off implement.  The hexes are a tad undersized at 7/8", but it's a non-issue for us. 

And before it gets asked: yes; I carry a 25' tape measure everywhere I go.  It's an old work habit I have had no success in breaking. :lol:

I won't promise anything to anyone, as I am not in charge of the supply, but if someone wanted some picked up, I may be able to work something out with you. 

One thing: sew up all the edges before washing, or your map will ravel badly. :lol:

Cold water on gentle eliminates chalk quite nicely. 

Duke 

15424930216001264994243.thumb.jpg.160d77de4b2f5a9fca680544d7f95592.jpg1542493107988307335646.thumb.jpg.bbd86e379b938e6954f995fb3b378615.jpg

This is the other color I have found.  If I can find some kind of stock number for it, I will post that as well. 

Also, a quick double-check shows that the hexes alternate between 7/8 and 15/16, achieved by being ever-so-slightly irregular.  Again, not exactly a deal-breaker for me, but I don't need laser precision; just something we can count in case of a question. 

1542501406557420865527.thumb.jpg.0a9cf2babffafc6252f1add5daf231c0.jpg

29 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

Gaming Paper is another option.

Neat; thanks!

I might have to invest in a roll or two for making "permanent" maps-- regular locations, etc., or even "generic diner" type locations.  I expect it would get pricey to use it for "this evening's game"-- which can spread across several locations!

You're very welcome!

One thing you can do with the gaming paper is put a layer of vinyl over it. I know, it's a few extra bucks, but you can protect your permanent maps that way.

Here's a video with the guy who came up with that idea:

More on-the-cheap hex maps.  I happened into a Dollar General a couple nights ago (needed a couple straw brooms cheap enough to be disposable).  As I looked about for the brooms, I stumbled across a couple of rolls of shelf paper (I know they're marked at 2 bucks,  but they rang up at a buck and a half, so....) 

Did a 3x5 piece of a material we're just going to call extra-thick, super-dense pasteboard, and ended up with this. Still have a roll left.  The hexes are 1 inch plus a tiny bit (though the white borders make them look larger). 

It was the cheap, extra-thin stuff, and as an added bonus, it came with a pair of wrinkles already installed, but they were pretty minor. 

Going to run it through a couple of youth group games and see how it holds up. 

Depending on how well it holds up, I may make a version on poster board or similar so I can roll it up for transport; not sure. 

I definitely like it for "stone floor" situations, and I'm strongly considering making an assortment of shaped map tiles out of it for quick-and-easy castle plans;  depends on if I can find more of it. 

At any rate, a myltiple-use item that's cheap enough to throw away--always a plus in the gaming hobby!  :)

0703191711.jpg

Honestly, I _love_ that!  Don't think I can talk the wife into understanding why we need it...   :(. Also don't know the size of the honeycomb (honeycomb big? Yeah-yeah yeah!.   Oh man...  I am so _deeply_ sorry for that....)

But it's not quite as portable as a lot of us need it to be.