Random SF Links

tkdguy

Navy "UFO Patent" Documents Talk Of "Spacetime Modification Weapon," Detail Experimental Testing (thedrive.com)

message-editor%2F1611696622851-spacetimemodificationweapon.jpg

"I've developed the technological means to modify spacetime."

"Great!  Uh, any way we could, uh, weaponize  that technology?"

"Uh, I guess?  I mean, it would be incalculably destructive, though..."

"Not to worry, we'll test it in the desert!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, dmjalund said:

what accent is that?

I wondered that, too. The closest I've heard is a Mr Nunez who works for the BBC, whose accent has, i think, Caribbean notes.

I might use some of these speculative technologies, but the setting would be considerably darker. For one thing, settings with big problems are easier settings for action/adventure. (I might watch some of the linked episodes about post-holocaust settings.) For another, I have less confidence in human goodness and human wisdom. For instance, if the sort of life-extension nanotechnology is ever developed, I suspect the world's super-rich and politically powerful will do their utmost to keep it for themselves. AI already shows potential to implement a surveillance state that makes 1984 look tame; and the only job that automated manufacturing can never replace is "slave" -- not for the labor gained, but the satisfaction of wielding total power over someone else. A robot cannot satisfy that desire unless the robot can be proven to suffer from its bondage.

My guess as to the most likely vision of life in 2323 would... probably violate the forum's terms of use. Fortunately, it also would not be gameable.

Dean Shomshak