Champions Creation Cards

Beast

I'm playing with mine right now that I went ahead and updated my Hero Designer (it was waaaaaaay old) so I can plug in the Prefabs. I agree that the card numbers (not the numbering on the cards, but their numbers in the set) can be hard to read, depending on the background color (yellow is particularly challenging).

Will let you know how it goes.

11 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I can’t wait to be able to order some! Beast have you used them yet? How’d they work?

(work out I’m mean)

they are in the store now
67 left as of this post for the core deck and 70 of the expansion deck

I got mine last week.  My son and I took a bit of time to build a flying brick.  It worked out pretty and it was pretty fast.

I am thinking about using them at a convention or maybe even as a pickup Meetup game.  I would just print a bunch of blank character sheets and then have folks hand fill the character out as part of the creation.

I can also see using the cards, HD (on a laptop) and Hero System Mobile app to hand out the results from HD.

I'm wondering if anyone can write a quick little tutorial for how to use the files. Someone in the Hero Designer forum is a bit lost, and I'm not much help myself. It doesn't help that the character types are called "templates" but are saved as character files, not templates. There are, indeed, no "templates" available to load (from what I can tell), only saved character files. So it gets confusing for people who aren't so experienced with Hero Designer.

If interested, pop over to the other forum and write some instructions. This would be much appreciated.

Here's how I created an HD Character using the CCC Cards:

To start the Character build, I chose Open Character and picked the Characteristic Card I wanted to use.  In this case #4 - Dexterous.

To add the other cards, I just chose Load Prefabs and chose the card file I wanted to use, then went to the appropriate tab, clicked on Prefab sub-tab, chose the now-loaded prefab and selected it to add it to the build.

It wasn't exactly intuitive, but it seems to work, and I had a rough build of my desired character in just a few minutes.

I hope this helps everyone who is as confused as I was.

Edited by Takaholic
instruction changes

On 12/1/2018 at 11:35 PM, Beast said:

My travel version of CCCC(Champions Character Creation Cards)
All cards are in protective sleeves and plenty of D6s
this is both decks

they need a larger than normal card box when sleeved(X1.5)
If not sleeved a normal box will work

Brilliant.  Where did you get the sleeves?

On 12/2/2018 at 7:47 AM, GM Joe said:

I'm surprised I still haven't gotten my decks, here in northern IL. :(  I sent Jason a message about it through Kickstarter; hopefully he'll respond soon.

Is Chicago still the place where mail goes to die?

Try sending him an email through the HERO site. You may get a more prompt response that way, although I'm just guessing.

9 hours ago, BigJackBrass said:

These cards are a terrific idea and certainly address one of the key complaints about Hero, the lengthy and involved character gen.

How much would need to be changed to make them work with 5th edition instead of 6th? Would it be worthwhile, or are the numbers simply too different?

I would not worry about recosting them as 5th ed villians can pretty much used "as is"out of any of the books with little need to tweak

for me you just need to follow that OCV, DCV and Speed tend to be lower with card built characters, than book characters or PCs that I and most others build

Edited by Beast

1 minute ago, BigJackBrass said:

That's helpful, thank you Beast. I've not looked into 6th edition as the thought of starting again after 5th was rather daunting, so I don't know how different the numbers are. I'll do a bit of reading now I know that the cards might work.

No problem
the big difference is that that figured stats got disconnected from the primaries and you now have to pay for those so an increase from 350 to 400 was made

all the forms of resistant defence got folded into 1 power that you mod to your liking

Elemental controls got dropped but Unified got added as a limitation to replace it
Transfer got dropped ,but you can build it as a Drain linked to an Aid and flavor either side to make Rogue from the X-Men

AND MY FAVORITE

Regeneration is back instead of that KLUDGE of building it with Aid
and all those add ons to flavor your character with