Is An Underground City As A Base Possible?

Daisuke

I was wondering if it's possible to make an underground city as a base. I'm asking because I'm not sure if making a base means you have to build each building in the city individually or it can all be bought as one? Also when I buy the list the benefits the base has, do I have to write the designated location to use such benefits [Ex: Library-KS: Small Arms 11-] so when someone wants to use this skill in the base, is it from anywhere in the base or it's only in a specific location in the base?

Demain.jpg

This is going to very by taste.  I think there is a cost to the size of the base but everything else is about what the base can provide.  I think if you are concerned with detail then it would make sense for there to be some time limits if switching between resources, perhaps a variable time effect that is random to reflect that in a base that size you are not always where you need to be to access the necessary resource. If you are consumed with detail then you would indeed map it out and do the detail.

Personally I would have a fixed time delay to access any resource and handwave the rest.

Doc

The skills are generally only available in the listed area specified in the Base. I.e, you can’t use Breakfall every where, just in in gym. Now as to the Underground city being a Base. I don’t see why not. You’re just having the “rooms” be connected by “open” space. 

Good question though ought and My answer is nowhere official nor RAW.

Is the city really the full base? Or is there city parts beyond the base part?

Are there still people/machines in the base?
How is the bulk of the city secured against intruders/able to detect intruders?

What kind of setting are we talking about? Heroic? Superheroic?

In Stargate Atlantis, only the central tower of atlantis was really the "base". The rest of the city was as much setting background, antagonist and adventure location. Not really fully controled by the earth-humans.

A full city would seem to imply a LOT more than just a base.

Putting a base underground is easy, that's in the rules.  The issue would tend to be cost;  what are we talking about here?  You say 'city' I start thinking in terms of multiple square miles...something like size 30.  I'm also hearing lots and lots and lots of people, which is tricky when you're talking a base.  

Be that as it may....just pay for things and do the actual layout as it's needed.  It's much like building any fantasy city;  you don't necessarily need to place every shop, every temple, every inn.  No one's gonna care. about 90% of it...just due to the sheer volume of detail.  Also:  in something as large and complex as a city, you'll tend to have multiple spots for *much* of the functionality...there's more than one lab for a PS:  Analytical Chemist, for example.    You might want to just create a broad district plan...this area's the University, this area's the major medical complex, this area's the admin center, and so forth.

Is this base for players or NPC?

If it is an NPC base then the answer is very easy - hand wave everything the players are unlikely to engage (especially non-combat stuff).  So say it is a super villain base (city) and there are security cameras everywhere constantly watching things.  You could build it as some kind of clairvoyance or you could just hand wave the answer.  If there are traps and/or minions then I would write them up.  But I wouldn't care about how much the base and followers cost for an NPC.  For instance a local leader of Viper is not going to have an underground city for a base.  To many resources tied up to one place - goes against good Viper doctrine.  But Dr. Destroyer would have such a base.

If it is a PC (or group of PCs), then I would work up a few of the items and then detail out the cost to the players in character or experience points.  Once the players realize they are going to be tying up a significant amount of the character's character or experience points.  Also I would make sure equipment fails on occasion (wear and tear) and those items require more XP to get it back up and running.  I would only do this for mega bases like the one you asked about.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:49 AM, mallet said:

If I remember correctly, 5th Ed Star Hero had an extended Base size/cost chart that allowed for Bases up to the size of a Dyson Sphere (a base that surrounds an entire star). 

Well there ya go! If you can have a Dyson Sphere, you can certainly have one the size of a city. Also, there's nothing in the rules against having a city-sized base. Still, the cost...  wow!

• 1 month later...