Star Wars.. second most influential film ever

Bazza

Study: Wizard of Oz, not Star Wars, is the most influential movie ever

https://ew.com/movies/2018/11/30/study-wizard-of-oz-most-influential-movie/

Author of study's blog post:

Identification of key films and personalities in the history of Cinema from a Western perspective

http://blogs.springeropen.com/springeropen/2018/11/30/identification-of-key-films-and-personalities-in-the-history-of-cinema-from-a-western-perspective/

4 hours ago, Starlord said:

PS:  Pam and Tommy Lee were more influential than Kim.  :)

Pam and Tommy Lee between them don't have the intellect necessary to pound sand.

In that respect, I suppose they can be considered forerunners to Kim and Kanye.

22 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Having The Wizard of Oz, every year, on Network Television for a couple of decades, didn’t hurt its influence. 

The Wizard of Oz itself has been around for quite a bit longer than Star Wars.

But Star Wars will still be influencing people long after everyone outside the film industry have forgotten Oz.

I wasn't around when The Wizard of Oz originally hit theaters in 1939, and so I don't really have a sense of what the international response was back then. However, I was one of the many who saw Star Wars when it originally came out in 1977. Star Wars was a global phenomenon, an unprecedented sensation that was embraced by people all over the world. Practically every religion took to reinterpreting The Force in terms of its own framework. It is difficult for me to imagine any other single film having greater, more deeply affecting cultural impact than Star Wars.

BTW, I too have never seen Metropolis. I can't seem to drum up any enthusiasm for watching it.

On 12/1/2018 at 1:24 AM, Bazza said:

I guess now I have to watch Psycho, King Kong, Citizen Kane, Metropolis, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and Frankenstein. 

Well it is Christmas. 

The Study seems to have been about "Impact in Hollywood". So impact on Filmmakers, rather then Audience.

By audience Star Wars should have a few leg's up.

While not a proper game developer, I did develop a bit of a "Game designers eye" so I can learn something even from a terrible game. So such a game has a "impact" on me. Despite being nothing the users would like to remember.

10 hours ago, mattingly said:

For the greatest impact on audiences, I think Jaws might be the winner. A huge number of people became terrified of the oceans, thanks to that one. (I used to live in Florida.)

Doesn;t always work. The remake of  "The Mummy" (the recent one) didn't seem to make people nervous about watching Tom Cruise movies. It did however make the studio nervous about reviving its classic monsters on film !

11 hours ago, st barbara said:

Doesn;t always work. The remake of  "The Mummy" (the recent one) didn't seem to make people nervous about watching Tom Cruise movies. It did however make the studio nervous about reviving its classic monsters on film !

I thought that movie was an excellent comedy.