Random Plot Generator

sentry0

I was reading through Eureka today and thought that in would be really cool to have something like this for Champs.  I know personally, when I'm strapped for game ideas I like to roll player Hunteds and see what comes together but it would be handy if we had a resource that was a little beefier.  I'm also looking for something new to possibly add to the HERO System Mobile app and this seems like it would be fun to do and in a similar spirit as the random character generator.  

At any rate, some ideas bouncing around in my head...

• Rolls would be across multiple tables
  • The first table would be the general type of encounter
    • Solo villain (the table would have a list of solo villains)
    • Group of villains (again, a list of villain teams would be on this table)
    • Agency (as above, a list of villainous agencies on this table)
    • Gang/Mob
    • Coordinated combination (roll again)
    • Uncoordinated combination (roll again)
    • Rival combination (roll again)
  • The next table you would roll on is the general motivation of the crime
    • Power grab
    • Monetary
    • Spread chaos/power trip
    • Unintentional confrontation
  • The last table would be the location table
    • City core
    • City outskirts
    • Research lab
    • Government facility
    • University

The last 2 tables need more fleshing out :)

Obviously, some combinations may seem funny like rolling a bank heist for Grond may be a bit of stretch but if nothing else the tool would be good for brainstorming I figure.

If anyone is interested in fleshing this out with me let's work together in this thread.

Phil

I'll keep the most up to date table here.

You'll need to download Inspiration Pad Pro in order to play around with the generator.

This only supports solo villains currently.

Supports Solo, Team, and Master villains now as well as villainous organizations.

Champions Encounters.ipt

Just an idea, but an option to sort of weight the results to produce something generally short like a single-session confrontation (for when you need a break) or something that is more likely to run on a bit (something more complicated, for when you just don't have your planned adventure together, and need more time or some inspiration). 

And a way to weight threat level. 

2 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Just an idea, but an option to sort of weight the results to produce something generally short like a single-session confrontation (for when you need a break) or something that is more likely to run on a bit (something more complicated, for when you just don't have your planned adventure together, and need more time or some inspiration). 

And a way to weight threat level. 

Those are great ideas.  It makes sense to sub-divide villains by threat levels...that would allow the GM to tailor the encounter a bit.  Agencies could also be subdivided to represent how many agents and/or strength of ordinance they have.  It doesn't make sense to specify actual numbers for agencies though...GMs would have to use their discretion based in the player group power level.

Master villains should probably be left out of the lists by default...perhaps with an option to include them.  Those types of encounters lend themselves to a multi-session games and seem.  

Phil

1 hour ago, bluesguy said:

I would highly recommend looking at the NBOS Software tool Inspiration Pad Pro which is specifically designed to let you create complicated tables that generate complicated results.  You can create tables that can be 'called' by other tables.

Wow, they have some neat products :)

Thanks for the heads up...I think I'll work on the tables using this tool and probably end up baking it into the app at some point.  People can use whichever tool they want to generate an encounter that way.

I would also not include such details like Foxbat or VIPER, and instead note a more generic Comic Relief Villain or Paramilitary Criminal Origination. That way, the tables can be just as useful to thoes playing within the Champions Universe and use for thoes playing outside the Champions Universe.

8 hours ago, sentry0 said:

It doesn't make sense to specify actual numbers for agencies though...GMs would have to use their discretion based in the player group power level.

Agreed. 

In terms of "threat level," perhaps something more generic like "solo villain: gadgeteer; 650 pts". 

Or "ten agents totalling 3000 pts." 

Or "villain team: 5 members, diverse archetypes, totalling 4000 pts" 

Or "villain team: three members Speedsters and Bricks totalling 800 pts." 

Or whatever the current trendy comparison method is, if AP have fallen out of favor. 

I think I'm trying to say is "generic enough to fit any campaign, but just enough suggestion to inspire." 

You know: "make it like, forty percent cooler."  :lol:

Nice work so far!

A few things:

"Passion" only has 2 s's.  (Nitpicky, I know, but the more I saw it the more it bugged me.)

If you're looking for additional motivations, you might include: 

• Unwitting dupe / pawn
  • Hired Distraction
  • Kidnapping
  • Assassination
  • Seeking Publicity

For locations:

• Remote / Middle of Nowhere
  • Power station
  • Hospital
  • Museum
  • Elementary / Primary / High School
  • Transportation hub (e.g. train station, bus station, subway, airport)

7 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Nice work so far!

A few things:

"Passion" only has 2 s's.  (Nitpicky, I know, but the more I saw it the more it bugged me.)

If you're looking for additional motivations, you might include: 

• Unwitting dupe / pawn
  • Hired Distraction
  • Kidnapping
  • Assassination
  • Seeking Publicity

For locations:

• Remote / Middle of Nowhere
  • Power station
  • Hospital
  • Museum
  • Elementary / Primary / High School
  • Transportation hub (e.g. train station, bus station, subway, airport)

Thanks for the suggestions, I've incorporated them into the document :)

3 hours ago, sentry0 said:

Does anyone have any idea why the following villains have no threat rating?  Also, what should their threat ratings be???

• Bayok
  • Bloodrage
  • Josiah Brimstone
  • Bromion
  • Freakshow
  • Lampliter
  • Mother Gothel
  • El Salto
  • Attack Orb

Bayok: Most people don't know about about his existence. The only accurate source of information on him are Native American shaman.

Bloodrage: A behind the scenes demon who's focus is not on direct combat, but enraging people with powers.

Josiah Brimstone: Is in reality a superhero. A magical, John Consentine style bastard superhero. The only way the other heroes would fight him is when he looses control of his demon soul. And when that happens, he becomes a rampager.

Bromion: He is a mystical being of order, and will never appear as random (as random is chaos).

Freekshow: unknown.

Lamplighter: A behind the scenes guy. You'll never encounter him at random.

Mother Gothel: Everyone knows about her from the faire tails. She does not operate at random. Her "stick" is to lead children astray and EAT THEM.

El Salto: Use whatever rating you use for Foxbat.

Attack Orb: Is an extension of another villain. Use the original villain.

12 minutes ago, steriaca said:

As you can see, not all villains work with the random plot generator.

Oh, I'm not surprised ?

The nature of random encounter tables in general is such that they should be taken with a grain of salt.  I was just hoping that we could at least come up with a threat levels for them but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.