Help with first character?

Ninja

Making my first character for a 400 point game.  Was hoping for some guidance on what I should change/remove/add.  I put it on a pdf file but the forum says it’s too large to upload so I will type it out here.  It comes to 420 points so I need to shave 20.  Was also wondering if I should buy 5 more defenses but no points for that right now.

Str 60; dex 23; Con 30; int 18; ego 18; presence 18; Ocv 10; dcv 9; omcv 1; DMCV 3; Spd 6; PD 20; ED 20; Rec 20; End 60; body 20; Stun 60

Skills; English(4), acrobatics, climbing, stealth, analyze fighting style,  breakfall, conversation, persuasion

powers: resistant protection 10 pd 10 Ed; Mental defense 10;  Knockback resistance (-10m); extra running 6, extra leaping 7pts; killing attack with armor penetration

make that 423 points I just realized I need to add in brick tricks for 3 points.

It's hard to know what to suggest since I don't anything about your character concept but I'll give it a shot.

Personally I'd drop a point of Speed. You have good DCV, good PD/ED, and great CON. You don't need extra Phases to Abort for defensive actions and bricks are traditionally a bit slower. 

If English is his native language you don't need to pay for it. Also, if your campaign uses Everyman Skills you can get a few of your skills for free at 8- and buy them up later.

What is his Killing Attack? If it isn't key to the character concept you could perhaps drop it for something cheaper. Maybe a Naked Advantage Armor Piercing or AoE for your STR?

Hi Ninja. We don't know if a 12DC and 6 SPD is the norm for other characters that will be with him. Do you need a 23 Dex since your OCV/DCV is high? The character seems to be a brick so I'd lower your DEX. Are the other character on par or lower in damage than this character? Hard to tell right now.

So I don’t really know the norms, I believe they are all over the place.  I think his dmg is on par.  I will send to dm once completed for approval but just want to complete him first.

My character concept is inspired by angel dust from the Deadpool movies, and jet li character from the movie the one.  Both super strong and durable, both martial artists, jet li is super fast.

He comes from a long line of ninjas.  He came to England for university.  He was in an underground fight to defend his families honor, gets whooped by his adversary and almost dies, then boom mutant genes activate enhancing his physiology making him strong, durable, and fast.  His skills were meant to reflect his ninja training and his study of philosophy.

For his stats I drew inspiration from the examples given in the book.  I was sort of using the martial brick example.  And combined ironclad and green dragon.  He is durable like ironclad and his ocv dcv and speed reflect his martial arts.

My rational for the killing attack was that it seemed several of the example characters had one, so I thought maybe I needed one. And he had no special moves.  So I figured it would represent a Ki strike, like a death blow.

i had thought of maybe shaving points from ki strike by removing stun dmg or something.  I don’t fully understand how things work yet.

His dex was meant to represent his speed and his agility skills.  I didn’t consider using extra phases to abort, I figured just more attacks.  Shows my inexperience.

Well I’m not a comic book buff, but in Deadpool angel dust whoops colossus.  And in the movie the one, jet li can run as fast as a car, jump over bridges, and in one scene picks up a motorcycle in each hand and smashes someone with them.

So i felt like 50-60 was about right.

I do see what you’re saying Chris and appreciate the feedback for sure.  Strength is just simpler I think for my first game.  No one in the group took martial arts skills for that reason.

It you want him to run faster than a car you may want to increase his Non-Combat running multiplier rather than increase his SPD. As written with SPD 6 he can run 20MPH or 40MPH non-combat speed.  At SPD 5 he would run 16.5 MPH or 33.5MPH non-combat.

As to picking up a motorcycle, a 500lb bike (226kg) could be lifted one handed by a 25 STR character (assuming lifting one hand gives you -5 STR for calculating which I think is the norm). A STR 40 character could easily lift a bike in each hand without restricting himself in anyway.

You could drop his STR a bit and give him a Multipower of Brick Tricks or Chi/Ki powers, or whatever. 

It's not that you can't be strong and fast, and I don't know what the rest of the characters look like, but IF you are hitting the campaign max in both Damage AND OCV, or both PD/ED AND DCV you may need to consider whether you want to focus on something specific to be the best at instead of maxing everything.

Good points bigby thanks.  I will take that into consideration, dropping some strength could still fit.  Do you have an ideas I could use for inspiration for additional power shifts I went that route?

Also curious about killing Attacks since I noticed a lot of the sample characters have something like that.  When would they typically be used?

in case anyone is unfamiliar or curious here are a couple clips

Killing Attacks are higher BODY damage and lower STUN damage.  That is, they're better at dealing lethal damage but take longer to knock people out.  They're also better for breaking objects. 

I'd have to know how big you made yours to say more, but if you're anywhere above 3d6 I'd argue you can cut dice and still be effective with it. 

Definitely ask your GM about Everyman Skills, that should shave a bunch of points. 

You could save a few points by putting the running and leaping into a multipower, since you're unlikely to need both at once. 

If the Mental Defense isn't core to the concept, I'd suggest cutting it.  A full power Mental Blast has half the raw output of a normal attack, so 0 MD is "as good" as your current 20 PD/ED. 

I'll echo the people suggesting cutting speed.  If everyone else in your group is SPD 4 or 5, definitely drop to match them.  If SPD 6 is normal for PCs, stay where you are. 

Likewise, the strength stunts you're describing seem to be 30ish STR at most.  Replacing 30 STR with 6 Damage Classes from Martial Arts should save a few points and dramatically reduce your END spending, something you've got a potential problem with right now depending on how long your GM makes the fights. 

20 hours ago, Ninja said:

Making my first character for a 400 point game.  Was hoping for some guidance on what I should change/remove/add.  I put it on a pdf file but the forum says it’s too large to upload so I will type it out here.  It comes to 420 points so I need to shave 20.  Was also wondering if I should buy 5 more defenses but no points for that right now.

Str 60; dex 23; Con 30; int 18; ego 18; presence 18; Ocv 10; dcv 9; omcv 1; DMCV 3; Spd 6; PD 20; ED 20; Rec 20; End 60; body 20; Stun 60

Skills; English(4), acrobatics, climbing, stealth, analyze fighting style,  breakfall, conversation, persuasion

powers: resistant protection 10 pd 10 Ed; Mental defense 10;  Knockback resistance (-10m); extra running 6, extra leaping 7pts; killing attack with armor penetration

make that 423 points I just realized I need to add in brick tricks for 3 points.

It seems like you wanted a Brick, but then ended up adding to much non-brick powers. As a brick you are supposed to use the lower end of CV's and SPD. You have your Defenses, CON and REC to soak up a normal volume of attack that hits you. As such you generally do not need to abort phases to Dodge or Block.

With Martial Artists and Speedsters it is the other way around. Their defenses are on average so weak, they have to use their extra SPD just to abort.

Killing attacks in classical "4 color superheroics" is there to break Foci, Barriers and Entangles. Maybe the odd character (non-sentient Robot, Zombies, Demons, anything with "Takes no STUN") that is deemed save for Code vs Killing purposes.

On the other hand in Dark Champions, you can totally use Killing Attacks as your main weapon. The "we kill people" part is what makes it Dark Champions.

I would humbly suggest that OP is really describing a super soldier with a high end STR...40 or so + martial arts.  Angel Dust smoked Colossus in terms of technique but Colossus has the edge in defenses and Strength.  Classic Brick vs Super Soldier.

From Wikipedia: Angel Dusts upper end strength tops out at 25 tonnes.  That's a very far cry from a true Brick like Colossus.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Dust_(comics)

If you can reconsider your position about MA Ninja I would suggest you may end up with a character more in the spirit of your inspirations.  However, I get and totally respect your choice either way.

The thing about MA is that they're not much more complicated than the standard combat maneuvers.  You can simply think of them as expanding your list of moves ?

Phil

Ninja, when making a character, be careful you don't make the character so complete that there's no room to grow. When I build a character, I think about what I'm going to buy/add down the road once I have 50, 100, 250 xp, etc.  Just a thought. Hope you have fun with your first character!

Btw, do you need to start with an 18 Int and 18 Ego? You were talking about shaving points so just throwing that out there.

As a long time GM I wouldn't allow this character into my campaign.  The character has all the characteristics of a brick (super strong, lots of defenses) and the speed and accuracy of a martial artists (high OCV, high DCV, high SPD, lots of movement).

Simple comparison between Colossus vs Angel Dust would be:

Colossus:

STR: 60

DEX: 15 or 18

PD/ED: 25 to 30 (mostly if not all resistant)

OCV/DCV: 4 or 5, probably a couple of levels in Hand to Hand combat and maybe a few PSL to offset throwing things

SPD: 3 or 4 (maybe a 5)

Angel Dust:

STR: 30 (max)

DEX: 23

PD/ED: 20 or 25 (some resistant)

OCV/DCV: 5, probably 2 to 4 levels in hand to hand

SPD: 5 (no way 6; at least to start)

Martial arts:  If you have access to the HD martial arts package you can find something appropriate

Lots of interesting skills

Angel Dust uses martial throws, blocks, dodges, and strikes to do damage to Colossus.  Colossus just tries to hit her.  And in the whole fight he is holding back.  He could pick up a car and use it like a baseball bat on her but he doesn't because he doesn't want to hurt her. 

In Marvel universe SPD 6 is reserved for characters who are pure martial artists.  The closets I can find a quick clip for is Ultron fighting Captain America.  Cap is either a 4 or 5 (depends on how much you think the super serum boasted his SPD - remember human max is 4 and the super serum is supposed to produce human max capabilities).  If he is a 5, personally I think he is better than any other normal (non-mutant) human could be, then Ultron is pretty much able to deal out at least one good hit action more than Cap can.

When we first started playing Champions we scoured Marvel material and built Marvel heroes and villains so we could help in building our own characters.  There are a number of threads in the Champions sub-forum for which have write-ups for Marvel and DC  heroes (mostly 5e write-ups).

1 hour ago, sentry0 said:

I would humbly suggest that OP is really describing a super soldier with a high end STR...40 or so + martial arts.  Angel Dust smoked Colossus in terms of technique but Colossus has the edge in defenses and Strength.  Classic Brick vs Super Soldier.

From Wikipedia: Angel Dusts upper end strength tops out at 25 tonnes.  That's a very far cry from a true Brick like Colossus.  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_Dust_(comics)

If you can reconsider your position about MA Ninja I would suggest you may end up with a character more in the spirit of your inspirations.  However, I get and totally respect your choice either way.

The thing about MA is that they're not much more complicated than the standard combat maneuvers.  You can simply think of them as expanding your list of moves ?

Phil

Thank you sir, I think you got me.  Actually my very first idea was a soldier who's super strength manifested when he lifted a truck to save someone's life.  I've since played around with the backstory but I think you are right.  I actually never heard the term brick at all until we were creating characters.  Personally the only real brick I find interesting is the hulk.  My favorite characters from comic genre are captain America, thor, wolverine, and the version of sabertooth liv Schreiber plays.  I assumed from the book they would be martial bricks since the book calls spiderman a martial brick.  I hate the idea of intentionally being slow and worse at combat just because I'm strong.

So let me ask you, if you were to make angel dust or remake this character into a super  soldier, how would you do it? If I drop strength to 40, I'd want to buy that back in damage classes.  So that doesn't save that many points but gives me martial arts.  Then I guess I could drop my ki strike and just take the martial maneuver killing strike.  That saves a lot of points.

Speaking of this, can you please explain damage classes to me? How do they differ from just adding d6? I dont understand it.

6 minutes ago, bluesguy said:

As a long time GM I wouldn't allow this character into my campaign.  The character has all the characteristics of a brick (super strong, lots of defenses) and the speed and accuracy of a martial artists (high OCV, high DCV, high SPD, lots of movement).

Simple comparison between Colossus vs Angel Dust would be:

Colossus:

STR: 60

DEX: 15 or 18

PD/ED: 25 to 30 (mostly if not all resistant)

OCV/DCV: 4 or 5, probably a couple of levels in Hand to Hand combat and maybe a few PSL to offset throwing things

SPD: 3 or 4 (maybe a 5)

Angel Dust:

STR: 30 (max)

DEX: 23

PD/ED: 20 or 25 (some resistant)

OCV/DCV: 5, probably 2 to 4 levels in hand to hand

SPD: 5 (no way 6; at least to start)

Martial arts:  If you have access to the HD martial arts package you can find something appropriate

Lots of interesting skills

Angel Dust uses martial throws, blocks, dodges, and strikes to do damage to Colossus.  Colossus just tries to hit her.  And in the whole fight he is holding back.  He could pick up a car and use it like a baseball bat on her but he doesn't because he doesn't want to hurt her. 

In Marvel universe SPD 6 is reserved for characters who are pure martial artists.  The closets I can find a quick clip for is Ultron fighting Captain America.  Cap is either a 4 or 5 (depends on how much you think the super serum boasted his SPD - remember human max is 4 and the super serum is supposed to produce human max capabilities).  If he is a 5, personally I think he is better than any other normal (non-mutant) human could be, then Ultron is pretty much able to deal out at least one good hit action more than Cap can.

When we first started playing Champions we scoured Marvel material and built Marvel heroes and villains so we could help in building our own characters.  There are a number of threads in the Champions sub-forum for which have write-ups for Marvel and DC  heroes (mostly 5e write-ups).

Hey thanks for the reply.  I am new to this system, but not new to rpgs.  Personally I dont understand not allowing it? I could make characters that are invulnerapble with like 12d6 blasts and flying.  This guy just punches stuff, boring, so I wanted him to he good at what he does.

We had one example session where we fought some villains to learn the system.  They had ocv dcv of 9+, higher strength,  and speeds of 5+.  So by my estimation we are underpowered. 

I also used the sample characters in the champions complete book, and honestly this puts me.right in the ball park in my estimation.   I ignored variety to be good at punching things.  But of course I will reserve judgement for my own DM.  But your position seems extreme to me.

I can see your point about colossus possibly holding back.  But she still hit him hard enough to send him flying.  And she took everything just fine.

You spent way too many points on stats and not enough in other areas.  First thing is to drop the STR down by around 20-30 points minimum.  Also drop down the SPD by at least 1.  As it stands your character can go full out for about 3-4 turns before he is out of END.  You also spend quite a bit on mental stats that you are not really utilizing.  Drop the INT and EGO down to around 13.   Also lower your OCV and DCV down a bit.  You can also reduce down the amount you spend on END, REC and probably STUN.

Spend some of those points on a martial art and skill levels.  This will keep your damage around the same, but give you a lot more options.  The skill levels will allow you to adjust your fighting style to the situation.  If you are fighting a speedster with a high DCV you will be able to boost your OCV higher by putting everything into OCV.  If you are fighting something that does a lot of damage you put the skill levels into DCV to avoid getting hit.

Being able to run as fast as a car is not that hard because as your SPD goes up so does your effective movement.  With a 5 SPD and no increased movement you are 2.5 x faster than a normal.  Adding only +3” of running brings that up to about slightly over x3.  Buying your running up to 15” will also keep the END for running down to 1.  Pick up a x4 NC instead of extra running and you will be running faster than a car.

A more versatile character is actually a lot more effective than a one trick wonder.

15 minutes ago, LoneWolf said:

You spent way too many points on stats and not enough in other areas.  First thing is to drop the STR down by around 20-30 points minimum.  Also drop down the SPD by at least 1.  As it stands your character can go full out for about 3-4 turns before he is out of END.  You also spend quite a bit on mental stats that you are not really utilizing.  Drop the INT and EGO down to around 13.   Also lower your OCV and DCV down a bit.  You can also reduce down the amount you spend on END, REC and probably STUN.

Spend some of those points on a martial art and skill levels.  This will keep your damage around the same, but give you a lot more options.  The skill levels will allow you to adjust your fighting style to the situation.  If you are fighting a speedster with a high DCV you will be able to boost your OCV higher by putting everything into OCV.  If you are fighting something that does a lot of damage you put the skill levels into DCV to avoid getting hit.

Being able to run as fast as a car is not that hard because as your SPD goes up so does your effective movement.  With a 5 SPD and no increased movement you are 2.5 x faster than a normal.  Adding only +3” of running brings that up to about slightly over x3.  Buying your running up to 15” will also keep the END for running down to 1.  Pick up a x4 NC instead of extra running and you will be running faster than a car.

A more versatile character is actually a lot more effective than a one trick wonder.

Thanks.  Some good points for sure.  Can you explain how movement speed and endurance work for me? Something else I dont understand. 

11 minutes ago, Ninja said:

Hey thanks for the reply.  I am new to this system, but not new to rpgs.  Personally I dont understand not allowing it? I could make characters that are invulnerapble with like 12d6 blasts and flying.  This guy just punches stuff, boring, so I wanted him to he good at what he does.

We had one example session where we fought some villains to learn the system.  They had ocv dcv of 9+, higher strength,  and speeds of 5+.  So by my estimation we are underpowered. 

I also used the sample characters in the champions complete book, and honestly this puts me.right in the ball park in my estimation.   I ignored variety to be good at punching things.  But of course I will reserve judgement for my own DM.  But your position seems extreme to me.

I can see your point about colossus possibly holding back.  But she still hit him hard enough to send him flying.  And she took everything just fine.

No problem  You are asking good questions.

My answers:

• Hero Game System makes it very easy to create a mini-maxed character.  The character you presented would be out of wack in my campaign and I wouldn't allow that character.  Bricks are big, slower, easier to hit, suck up damage like crazy but when they connect with an opponent watch out.  My wife has played a 'classic' brick character for years.  She loves picking up things and smashing villains and their minions with them.  Her character once used the axle from a semi-truck like a bat and swatted the main villain across what would become the Vikings Football stadium.
  • Each GM sets the ground rules for their campaign.  If in your GMs campaign the bricks are like what you described then you are in line with his vision.
  • Here is the thread for 5e Champions Comic Book Characters built on 250 points (250 points was the common starting point with 5e, the equivalent 6e character would be close to 400 pts).  Take a look at Captain America; he is suppose to be at human perfection.

You mentioned some favorite superheroes.  Here is my definition of what they are in Hero Game System Terms:

• Captain America - Perfect Human specimen so he can justify having normal human maximums (20 STR, DEX, CON, SPD=4 etc).  Martial Artists/Detective.  Lots of combat skill levels.  Good OCV/DCV.
  • Thor - Brick.  He can fly and use his hammer to call on lighting.  A starting character isn't going to have all of that.
  • Wolverine - Semi Brick.  That means 25 or 30 STR.  Higher PD/ED than a normal character.  He is either a 4 or 5 SPD.  He has those nasty claws + he packs a nasty punch just from his Adamantium bones - extra dice for Hand to Hand.  And regeneration.  Plus some extra senses.
  • Sabertooth - Just like Wolverine except no adamantium bones and I don't if he has regeneration.  He also seems a bit stronger (+5 pts) and maybe a bit quicker (higher DEX) than Wolverine.

Everyone one of these characters has strengths and weaknesses.  None of them is perfect.

A full blown brick can have some really cool abilities/powers.  How about:

• Shockwave - Explosive AoE w/ Strength that only does knockdown and knockback and is no range. 
  • AoE w/ STR and with OIF (large objects in the area - light poles, cars, something big, etc) with no range (or maybe with range) that can be used to smash those pesky martial artists with their high DCVs
  • Fastball special - Ability to pick up a team mate and throw them at a target opponent so they can do a move thru/move by.  I played in a campaign where we had a character who controlled the wind and had telekinesis (high STR) and she would pick up a character called Armadillo (power armor that looked like an Armadillo) and through him at opponents.  The move thru attacks were very effective.  They both bought skill levels so they could pretty much nail villains.

Here's my take on a bare bones super soldier that fills most of your criteria...I left out some stuff but there are plenty of points left over for you to do stuff with.

Sorry for the format, and I've attached the hdc file to this doc as well :)

Generic Super Soldier

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

40 STR 30 17- Lift 6400.0kg; 8d6 [8]

26 DEX 32 14- OCV: 9/DCV: 9

25 CON 15 14-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

18 EGO 8 13- ECV: 1 - 3

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 ½d6

9 OCV 30

9 DCV 30

1 OMCV -6

3 DMCV 0

6 SPD 40 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

9+15 PD 7 Total: 9/24 PD (0/15 rPD)

9+15 ED 7 Total: 9/24 ED (0/15 rED)

12 REC 8

50 END 6

15 BODY 5

45 STUN 13

Total Characteristic Cost: 241

Movement:

Running: 30m/60m

Leaping: 20m/40m

Swimming: 4m/8m

Cost Powers END

8 Leaping +16m (20m forward, 10m upward) 1

18 Running +18m (30m total) 2

45 Resistant Protection (15 PD/15 ED) 0

Martial Arts

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

4 Killing Strike -2 +0 HKA 4d6

4 Martial Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Martial Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Martial Strike +0 +2 12d6 Strike

5 Offensive Strike -2 +1 14d6 Strike

Skills

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Analyze: Fighting Style 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Persuasion 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 119

Total Cost: 359

325+ Matching Complications

Total Complications Points: 359

Generic Super Soldier.hdc

33 minutes ago, bluesguy said:

• Here is the thread for 5e Champions Comic Book Characters built on 250 points (250 points was the common starting point with 5e, the equivalent 6e character would be close to 400 pts).  Take a look at Captain America; he is suppose to be at human perfection.

Just a note, 250 points was not the standard in 5E, that was 4E. The 5E standard that all published characters were based on was 350 points.

Also, "perfect human" in Champions if using the published setting is 30 STR, DEX, CON, not 20 (though 20 is common for many people's games).

I also just wanted echo Bluesguy about strengths and weaknesses and campaign baselines.  They're very important and should dictate where your stats should lie.

For example, if the average Speed in the game is 5 then drop your Speed to 5.  A pure martial artist would likely have a 6 but they typically trade off DCs for speed.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what we say, it's between you and you GM ?

I also just wanted echo Bluesguy about strengths and weaknesses and campaign baselines.  They're very important and should dictate where your stats should lie.

For example, if the average Speed in the game is 5 then drop your Speed to 5.  A pure martial artist would likely have a 6 but they typically trade off DCs for speed.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what we say, it's between you and you GM ?

For sure.  I'm not trying to break anything and would certainly run anything by him.

I looked at all the sample characters in the book, the sample archetypes, and even the examples for where to set defenses and speed, like bulletproof invulnerable ect ect.  To try and get a feel for what's normal.   But obviously a game with so much customization is bound to be different from table to table.

I'm not trying to break anything, I just enjoy the character creation and customization part of rpgs very much.  If If i ever play this again i want to make a really strong telekinetic. Or jedi like character.   Telekinetic choke would be so badass.

2 hours ago, bluesguy said:

No problem  You are asking good questions.

My answers:

• Hero Game System makes it very easy to create a mini-maxed character.  The character you presented would be out of wack in my campaign and I wouldn't allow that character.  Bricks are big, slower, easier to hit, suck up damage like crazy but when they connect with an opponent watch out.  My wife has played a 'classic' brick character for years.  She loves picking up things and smashing villains and their minions with them.  Her character once used the axle from a semi-truck like a bat and swatted the main villain across what would become the Vikings Football stadium.
  • Each GM sets the ground rules for their campaign.  If in your GMs campaign the bricks are like what you described then you are in line with his vision.

You mentioned some favorite superheroes.  Here is my definition of what they are in Hero Game System Terms:

• Captain America - Perfect Human specimen so he can justify having normal human maximums (20 STR, DEX, CON, SPD=4 etc).  Martial Artists/Detective.  Lots of combat skill levels.  Good OCV/DCV.
  • Thor - Brick.  He can fly and use his hammer to call on lighting.  A starting character isn't going to have all of that.
  • Wolverine - Semi Brick.  That means 25 or 30 STR.  Higher PD/ED than a normal character.  He is either a 4 or 5 SPD.  He has those nasty claws + he packs a nasty punch just from his Adamantium bones - extra dice for Hand to Hand.  And regeneration.  Plus some extra senses.
  • Sabertooth - Just like Wolverine except no adamantium bones and I don't if he has regeneration.  He also seems a bit stronger (+5 pts) and maybe a bit quicker (higher DEX) than Wolverine.

Everyone one of these characters has strengths and weaknesses.  None of them is perfect.

A full blown brick can have some really cool abilities/powers.  How about:

• Shockwave - Explosive AoE w/ Strength that only does knockdown and knockback and is no range. 
  • AoE w/ STR and with OIF (large objects in the area - light poles, cars, something big, etc) with no range (or maybe with range) that can be used to smash those pesky martial artists with their high DCVs
  • Fastball special - Ability to pick up a team mate and throw them at a target opponent so they can do a move thru/move by.  I played in a campaign where we had a character who controlled the wind and had telekinesis (high STR) and she would pick up a character called Armadillo (power armor that looked like an Armadillo) and through him at opponents.  The move thru attacks were very effective.  They both bought skill levels so they could pretty much nail villains.

Thanks for the tips.  I guess im not very interested in playing a full brick.  Except throwing cars is really cool.

I had thought about move through attacks.  Thought having high strength and run speed to bull rush people would be kinda fun, sort of juggernaut like.

Here's my take on a bare bones super soldier that fills most of your criteria...I left out some stuff but there are plenty of points left over for you to do stuff with.

Sorry for the format, and I've attached the hdc file to this doc as well :)

Generic Super Soldier

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

40 STR 30 17- Lift 6400.0kg; 8d6 [8]

26 DEX 32 14- OCV: 9/DCV: 9

25 CON 15 14-

18 INT 8 13- PER Roll 13-

18 EGO 8 13- ECV: 1 - 3

18 PRE 8 13- PRE Attack: 3 ½d6

9 OCV 30

9 DCV 30

1 OMCV -6

3 DMCV 0

6 SPD 40 Phases: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12

9+15 PD 7 Total: 9/24 PD (0/15 rPD)

9+15 ED 7 Total: 9/24 ED (0/15 rED)

12 REC 8

50 END 6

15 BODY 5

45 STUN 13

Total Characteristic Cost: 241

Movement:

Running: 30m/60m

Leaping: 20m/40m

Swimming: 4m/8m

Cost Powers END

8 Leaping +16m (20m forward, 10m upward) 1

18 Running +18m (30m total) 2

45 Resistant Protection (15 PD/15 ED) 0

Martial Arts

8 +2 HTH Damage Class(es)

4 Killing Strike -2 +0 HKA 4d6

4 Martial Block +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Martial Dodge -- +5 Dodge, Affects All Attacks, Abort

4 Martial Strike +0 +2 12d6 Strike

5 Offensive Strike -2 +1 14d6 Strike

Skills

3 Acrobatics 14-

3 Breakfall 14-

3 Climbing 14-

3 Analyze: Fighting Style 13-

3 Conversation 13-

3 Persuasion 13-

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 119

Total Cost: 359

325+ Matching Complications

Total Complications Points: 359

Generic Super Soldier.hdc

I like this thank you.  A couple questions, why make DeX 26, there are cutoff points at like 3 and 8 if I'm not mistaken?

Did you only buy 2 dmg classes in martial arts because the martial strike adds 2, so I still end at 12d6?

I was wondering how useful some of the other martial maneuvers are, like nerve strike and choke.   And how that interacts with the dmg classes?

Is it possible to have a power where you can disable a limb or something to incapacitate someone,  sort of like a pressure point strike?

5 minutes ago, Ninja said:

For sure.  I'm not trying to break anything and would certainly run anything by him.

I looked at all the sample characters in the book, the sample archetypes, and even the examples for where to set defenses and speed, like bulletproof invulnerable ect ect.  To try and get a feel for what's normal.   But obviously a game with so much customization is bound to be different from table to table.

I'm not trying to break anything, I just enjoy the character creation and customization part of rpgs very much.  If If i ever play this again i want to make a really strong telekinetic. Or jedi like character.   Telekinetic choke would be so badass.

You're not breaking anything :)

Your character is very good for a first character build.  Myself and others are really just offering suggestions and tips...take it or leave it...it's up to you.

Cheers.