With a challenge to come up with a holiday character am I looking to be part of the defence or offence?

I quite like the idea of a character seeking to defend the Christmas Spirit, an entity that has existed from the beginning of time and whose nature varies dependent on the society of the time.  The Spirit is one that sustains the morale of people through the depredations of winter, lifting their spirits and giving them hope that spring, with its renewed growth and associated warmth and food, will arrive and that it is worth planning for it.  Embedding the ant mindset for general practise but providing crickets with a feast to keep them going.  The defenders of the Spirit will have had many forms over the millennia.

My defender of choice would be Yule.  This hero holds the light of the world, bringing light to darkness and ensuring that light is passed on between the years.  Yule would be an energy blaster but focussed more on defensive and investigatory powers than dealing damage.  I would probably build him very much as a detective type with the ability to see through illusions and to the truth of things.  I like the idea of Yule being able to move instantly to defend a Christmas community and so would give him the ability to appear wherever a yule log burns - I reckon a properly limited megascale teleport would work for that - though I would want a decent definition of what a yule log actually was.

Doc

Iceland awaits the Yule Lads

If you’re spending the holidays here in Reykjavik, be sure to keep an eye out for Sausage-Swiper, Window-Peeper, and Door-Slammer. They’re three of the Yule Lads, a group of 13 mischievous pranksters who—according to local folklore—visit homes one by one to leave rewards or punishments for children on each of the 13 days leading up to Christmas. Tonight, the Gully Gawk is scheduled for a visitation, waiting for an opportunity to sneak into the cowshed and steal milk. Modern versions of the lads sometimes portray them in a benevolent light, even dressed like Santa Claus, but other stories are dark. The lads are said to be the sons of Gryla, a mountain troll with an appetite for mischievous children. Let’s hope we’re on the nice list this year.

yule-lads.jpg

This is old by now, but if someone wants to incorporate Foxbat into a War on Christmas adventure....

(With apologies to Frozen)

Foxbat will hack into networks, and show his musical challenge!

"The Snow glows white on the city tonight

not a hero, to be seen

Gone is my trepidation

because it looks like I get away clean!"

"The wind is howling and I should stay inside

but can't stop scheming, heaven knows I've tried."

"I want to win, I want them to see

that I'm no villain of mediocrity

Steal a mil but they must know

Yes they'll know!"

"It's my show, it's my show

Can't hide my genius anymore

It's a show, it's a show

That's what I'm stealing for!"

"I don't care

about the pay

let's have some fun!

My Master Plan is making the news today!"

"Its sad how the cold sends all the folks away

To get to their warm houses while they can

but I'll never let the weather

thwart my Master Plan!"

"It's time to show the world exactly what I can do

Foxbat has no limits, heck I even flew

No right, no wrong, no rules for me... I'll be....

on News 3!!!!"

"It's my show, it's my show!

I'm the one with the dreams so high!

It's my show, it's my show!

You heroes will never see me cry!"

"Here I scheme, come let's play

Forget the storm!

Winter scenes are more climatic anyway!"

6 hours ago, Hermit said:

This is old by now, but if someone wants to incorporate Foxbat into a War on Christmas adventure....

(With apologies to Frozen)

Foxbat will hack into networks, and show his musical challenge!

"The Snow glows white on the city tonight

not a hero, to be seen

Gone is my trepidation

because it looks like I get away clean!"

"The wind is howling and I should stay inside

but can't stop scheming, heaven knows I've tried."

"I want to win, I want them to see

that I'm no villain of mediocrity

Steal a mil but they must know

Yes they'll know!"

"It's my show, it's my show

Can't hide my genius anymore

It's a show, it's a show

That's what I'm stealing for!"

"I don't care

about the pay

let's have some fun!

My Master Plan is making the news today!"

"Its sad how the cold sends all the folks away

To get to their warm houses while they can

but I'll never let the weather

thwart my Master Plan!"

"It's time to show the world exactly what I can do

Foxbat has no limits, heck I even flew

No right, no wrong, no rules for me... I'll be....

on News 3!!!!"

"It's my show, it's my show!

I'm the one with the dreams so high!

It's my show, it's my show!

You heroes will never see me cry!"

"Here I scheme, come let's play

Forget the storm!

Winter scenes are more climatic anyway!"

YE GODS!!! Reminds me too much of the Batman:TAS episode "Christmas with the Joker"

8 hours ago, GhostDancer said:

Iceland awaits the Yule Lads

If you’re spending the holidays here in Reykjavik, be sure to keep an eye out for Sausage-Swiper, Window-Peeper, and Door-Slammer. They’re three of the Yule Lads, a group of 13 mischievous pranksters who—according to local folklore—visit homes one by one to leave rewards or punishments for children on each of the 13 days leading up to Christmas. Tonight, the Gully Gawk is scheduled for a visitation, waiting for an opportunity to sneak into the cowshed and steal milk. Modern versions of the lads sometimes portray them in a benevolent light, even dressed like Santa Claus, but other stories are dark. The lads are said to be the sons of Gryla, a mountain troll with an appetite for mischievous children. Let’s hope we’re on the nice list this year.

yule-lads.jpg

8 hours ago, GhostDancer said:

ule-cat-the-yule-cat-is-a-monster-from-icelandic-9385810.png

Fun fact: Iceland was properly setelled by scandinavians. And later on they really loved writing, giving us hte bulk of written acounts of their myths.

5 hours ago, GhostDancer said:

Krampus

krampus-1.jpg

This guy is from European folklore, particulary the Alpine Region. As such he crosses European cultures to a large degree, but only in the mountains.

In Germany at large we have a similar figure with Knecht Ruprecht.

30 minutes ago, Brian Stanfield said:

Am I the only person who's curious, confused, and slightly troubled, by the horse charging into the picture in the background?

I doubt it is charging. But it can be hard to tell since it is so far out of Focus.

Pretty sure it is being guided by the mouthpiece and behind it is a wall, giving it very little room to charge.