Which Champions Franchise would you join?

Hermit

Which team would you join? (Please read Wall of text /post first)  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Which theoretical Champions Franchise team would your hero join?

• Champions Charlotte
    • Champions Honolulu
    • Champions Houston
    • Champions Phoenix
    • Champions Seattle
  2. 2. Why did you pick the location you did?

• NYC is SO overdone
    • I got nostalgic for 4th edition and liked the leader of this one best
    • Location, Location, Location ie I liked the city and think it would be fun to play a game based there
    • It was the lesser of all lame choices
    • I liked the description of the base, vague though it was
    • I have a six sider. I rolled it. Free will is for suckers.
  3. 3. Have you ever ran or played a game set in one of these locations

• Yes, and I shall put a post telling you which one(s) mister nosy bored pants
    • Yes. And I shall tell you no more less I encourage you
    • NOPE. Wish I had.
    • NOPE, and I'm not crazy about the selection. No offense.
    • NOPE. And you are a Californiaphobe! SHAME ON YOU!

I picked Houston, because I like Obsidian and for the space adventure vibe.

Seattle would have been too easy. I live nearby, and I already set my two Seattle Sentinels campaigns there. (Plus my two Keystone Konjuror supermage campaigns based in Tacoma.)

Pittsburgh was mentioned. Pittsburgh is cool: perhaps the closest the real world comes to Millennium City. Once notorious as a symbol of Rust Belt post-industrial urban decay, it has rebuilt itself as a high-tech hub. Three major research universities, one of which boasts the Gothic skyscraper "Cathedral of Learning," as cool a setting for a super-battle (or super-team base!) as you could imagine. Except maybe for the PPG, Inc. corporate headquarters, which looks like Superman's crystalline Fortress of Solitude from the movies. Villains who are into subterranean lairs can find plenty of room in the old coal mines.

I had the heroes of Avant Guard visit Pittsburgh in pursuit of the mad biotech mega-villain Helix, and it worked really well.

Dean Shomshak

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Seattle would certainly be a simpler choice, more conventional than Honolulu, but still with that Pacific access.

EDIT: Although if you're going American Pacific Northwest, I kinda wish it would be at New Constantinople. ;)

Man I am sorry I missed this! I love semi-historical World building.  Love it!   Would that city have been West of Corvallis or West of Eugene, on US 101? XD. 

8 hours ago, Scott Ruggels said:

Man I am sorry I missed this! I love semi-historical World building.  Love it!   Would that city have been West of Corvallis or West of Eugene, on US 101? XD. 

That was a labor of community that served me well, I won't lie. :) LL and many others gave valuable input and it is my hope I'm not the only one who got use out of it.

9 hours ago, DShomshak said:

I picked Houston, because I like Obsidian and for the space adventure vibe.

Seattle would have been too easy. I live nearby, and I already set my two Seattle Sentinels campaigns there. (Plus my two Keystone Konjuror supermage campaigns based in Tacoma.)

Pittsburgh was mentioned. Pittsburgh is cool: perhaps the closest the real world comes to Millennium City. Once notorious as a symbol of Rust Belt post-industrial urban decay, it has rebuilt itself as a high-tech hub. Three major research universities, one of which boasts the Gothic skyscraper "Cathedral of Learning," as cool a setting for a super-battle (or super-team base!) as you could imagine. Except maybe for the PPG, Inc. corporate headquarters, which looks like Superman's crystalline Fortress of Solitude from the movies. Villains who are into subterranean lairs can find plenty of room in the old coal mines.

I had the heroes of Avant Guard visit Pittsburgh in pursuit of the mad biotech mega-villain Helix, and it worked really well.

Dean Shomshak

I keep hearing so many good things about Pittsburgh as a setting in this thread (And out of it) that I really should give it a shot sometime.

Mind you, my next list like this will probably "Champions International" but hey :)

I live in Seattle now, and our gaming group has put numerous campaigns here over the years.  My take on Mister Terrific (a power pill multiform guy) was in the local-based Champions campaign we ran for a little while.  Heck, we even fought Foxbat once!

14 hours ago, Cancer said:

I live in Seattle now, and our gaming group has put numerous campaigns here over the years.  My take on Mister Terrific (a power pill multiform guy) was in the local-based Champions campaign we ran for a little while.  Heck, we even fought Foxbat once!

I did research a couple of years ago to help prepare a disaster preparedness forum in the greater Seattle area which was designed to bring together city, state, national, military, and volunteer civilian assets, make them aware of potential problems and potential assets after a disaster. The goal was to try to come up with a plan or plans to work together quickly and smoothly rather than having the fragmented responses we've seen post-disaster in some areas.

I ended up looking hundreds of things from dams and their potential flood zones to using the couple of decommissioned aircraft carriers in the area as landing strips.

What struck me at the end is that there was a lot of nuclear material and a great many nuclear reactors in the area even when you didn't count in visiting military ships.

My actual reason for having Godzilla, and giant rocks, wreck havoc with the city the day Dr. Destroyer ruined Detroit was to upgrade the city's infrastructure.  Right now, in places, there is a rats nest of interchanges, especially those connected to I-579 (Crosstown Boulevard) and it is hard to get around sometimes without a car.  I should know, I don't have one and have to walk, take the bus, or get a ride with a friend everywhere.

As far as the trusted hero goes, I think Andrea "Isis" Thomas would do. 

3 hours ago, massey said:

You couldn’t pay me enough to live in Houston.  

Oh, it wasn't to bad, when I was there right after Hurricane Ike.  the people were helpful and friendly. They were also tidy and house proud.

The downsides to Houston as far as I could tell, was horrible traffic and worse if you needed to go anywhere near the city center (I was around Spring and Humble during my assignment)., and the weather, which meant weather AND bugs.   What was curious to me,  living in California, I was used to fairly strong building codes because of the earthquakes, but the quality of housing construction, even in rich neighborhoods was abysmal (save for one contractor that built his own house out of concrete and epoxy, and a custom roof of something or other, which had no damage from the Hurricane, save for a sweaty wallm because bricks that the HOA insisted on were not waterproof.) But I liked Texas while I was there.

On 12/14/2018 at 11:31 AM, archer said:

What struck me at the end is that there was a lot of nuclear material and a great many nuclear reactors in the area even when you didn't count in visiting military ships.

When I attended the University of Washington (and starting my first Champions campaign), I was delighted to learn the UW had its own small nuclear reactor. How convenient for radiation accidents and faculty members who become mad scientists!

Dean Shomshak

I'll try to dig out former PCs of mine for each proposed city, though I won't post character sheets.

For Houston, the hero Solar Max goes well with his fellow extraterrestrial Obsidian. Solar Max is a Solarian, a race of plasma entities living in the Sun. M@x was a Harmonizer, counseling his fellow Solarians when excessive selfhood brings conflict and discontent. He discovered that a Solarian called R0n was forcing energy from other Solarians, even to discorporation. When M@x exposed R0n's crimes, R0n fled the Sun. The Solarian leaders, the Majestrons, told M@x that R0n had taken refuge on a small condensed-matter body by merging with one of its indigenous intelligences. M@x must follow and capture or destroy R0n. Per their instructions, M@x rode a solar flare out into space, to Earth. He was unwilling to steal a life as R0n had done, but he found a congealed-matter being whose life-energy was ebbing toward extinction already, and merged with the dying human, a failed artist who had committed suicide.

M@x was fortunate in finding other beings with unusual powers who share his interest in upholding social order. They call him "Solar Max" based on his origin and attempt to express his name in human speech. He found R0n, now a supervillain calling himself Corona, but R0n escaped by incinerating his own human host and reverting to plasma form. While Solar Max continues his hunt for Corona, he assists his new friends in restraining other socially damaging individuals. He also learns about humanity. To his disappointment, humans in Texas do not seem eager to emulate the successful Communist, near hive-mind society of the Solarians. On the other hand, Solar Max finds he enjoys some aspects of human individuality very much. Perhaps he can find some way to harmonize these two modes of existence... He also figured out that the Majestrons must be keeping a lot of information from his fellow Solarians.

Solar Max is of course an energy projector. By rousing his Solarian energies, he can surround himself with a protective field of plasma, fly, and evoke bolts and bursts of plasma, laser beams, brilliant light or powerful magnetic fields. Physically he is a human male, mid-20s, fit but slender. His costume is a plain white body-stocking surrounded by the swirling, yellow-green glow of his Solarian energy field. I originally imagined him as Caucasian, but I wouldn't insist on it.

Dean Shomshak

• 1 month later...

A world famous Hermit poll where I get a mention, how could I not reply ?

Honolulu was my vote, mainly because I've never seen it done before, in comics or gaming.  I could see it having a cool mix of local mythology (Pele the volcano goddess anyone?), along with some interesting Asian influences (I think I read that the Yakuza has a huge presence in the islands somewhere).  You could also play off of the 'locals' vs. the 'tourists' dynamic with the team (Thank you South Park).

I will say that the Phoenix setting as described has me fighting off the shakes...anything involving Foxbat and Hermit can be trauma inducing, you have been warned! ?   

Captain Nemo and the Nautilus Nine are based at Pearl Harbour and they operate mostly in the Pacific.

I've been putting together off and on a west coast setting based in Seattle (named Emerald City here)

Both have the advantage of having access to nearby Navy facilities (Pearl Harbour and Bremerton)

On December 16, 2018 at 11:30 PM, DShomshak said:

When I attended the University of Washington (and starting my first Champions campaign), I was delighted to learn the UW had its own small nuclear reactor. How convenient for radiation accidents and faculty members who become mad scientists!

Dean Shomshak

Lots of places had little ten-watt teaching reactors on their campus back in the 70s (I was a UW undergrad in the mid-70s, any my first work-study job was right next door to the reactor there).  Even the Jesuit college across town had one of those little reactors (it was before my time here, but I have seen some of the paper trail associated with the reactor's removal).  Almost all of those were removed in the  late 1980s and 1990s when people stopped thinking of reactors as Power for the Future and only thought of them in terms of Three Mile Island and Chernobyl.