How would you Build a Paralyzing Scent in 5th edition?

tigersloth

I am converting a monster from Starfinder and want you guys opinions on how to build the following in 5th edition.

Paralzing scent

A vracinea constantly exudes a sweet odor to a radius of 15 feet. Any living creature with a sense of smell that enters or starts its turn in this
area of effect must succeed at a DC 13 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1 round. Once a creature successfully saves against this effect, it is immune to the same
vracinea’s paralyzing scent for 24 hours. This is an inhaled poison effect.

I'd do it as something along the lines of

Paralyzing Stench:  Entangle 1d6, 1 DEF, Works Against CON, Not STR (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (47 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)

Adjust number of dice to fit tastes. 

Anyone who walks into the area has to make a Casual CON roll.  If they don't get enough NDB on the CON roll, they're paralyzed until they get a good enough roll to break out. 

6 hours ago, tigersloth said:

I am converting a monster from Starfinder and want you guys opinions on how to build the following in 5th edition.

Paralzing scent

A vracinea constantly exudes a sweet odor to a radius of 15 feet. Any living creature with a sense of smell that enters or starts its turn in this
area of effect must succeed at a DC 13 Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1 round. Once a creature successfully saves against this effect, it is immune to the same

Okay, this looks like a D&D Conversion. And not everything from D&D can be converted over to Hero at all:

Particular the whole concept of a saving Throw is there to offset some weaknesses of the D&D ruleset.

And the whole idea behind "make the throw once, be immune for 24h" is there to offset some issues with the power itself.

The only real option we have to paralyze someone in Hero is Entangle. Usually some form of "Not affected by Damage" is used to get non-physical (not a glue bomb) entangles working. And Paralysation is explicitly mentioned.

That it will affect you by breathing sounds like it should be a "NND (Breathing Life Support negates)".

However the part where it is only one turn, might allow some alternatives. Something very close to a "can not act for 1 turn" attack is being Stunned. But (nearly) guaranteed stunning is hard. I can only see these options:

You could buy an attack with "damage only counts for creating teh STUNNED effect" Limitation.

APG I 83 has the Option " CHAnGE EnvIROnmEnT: STunnInG" with a big STOP sign. However it might be a near perfect match for what you try to do:
"
At the GM’s option, characters can also use Change Environment against a single target to create an attack that Stuns the target without reducing his STUN. Tis combat effect costs 30
Character Points.
When used, this form of Change Environment Stuns the target, subjecting him to all the effects described on 6E2 104 (except for the loss of STUN; his STUN total isn’t reduced). Te Stunned effect lasts as long as the Change Environment is maintained. However, when affected the victim gets to make a CON Roll immediately, and if the roll succeeds the attack has no effect on him. If the roll fails, he gets to make an additional CON Roll every Phase he’s affected at a cumulative +1 (so +1 on his second roll, +2 on his third, and so on). As soon as any roll succeeds, the power immediately stops affecting him and he has his full Phase in which to act. To affect him further, the character using the Change Environment has to use an Attack Action and successfully attack him again.
To counteract the CON Roll, a character buying Change Environment (Stun) can include penalties to CON Rolls as an additional combat modifer
"

As the attack would be constant/persistent, there would be no way for the user to "make a new Attack Roll". But one could argue that the power is re-used (and thus requires a new set of throws) every 24h.

3 hours ago, Surrealone said:

Except for the fact that self-contained breathing, a gas mask, etc. should readily negate the power, and, as it's presently written, the power lacks an appropriate limitation to reflect such things.

So then it would be an NND attack, with the defense as "not breathing the same air, or air at all, as the creature", and does STUN only for the effect of being stunned?

6 hours ago, Surrealone said:

Except for the fact that self-contained breathing, a gas mask, etc. should readily negate the power, and, as it's presently written, the power lacks an appropriate limitation to reflect such things.

That's a trait of the SFX of the power.  It's fine to leave that to SFX, we don't go around insisting that lasers be built with Can Shoot Through Transparent Objects or sound guns with Does Not Work Without Medium. 

SFX give some benefits and some drawbacks. 

E: Actually, you likely would want that limitation on sound guns in a space-heavy setting.  But not in normal Champions play. 

6 minutes ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

That's a trait of the SFX of the power.  It's fine to leave that to SFX, we don't go around insisting that lasers be built with Can Shoot Through Transparent Objects or sound guns with Does Not Work Without Medium. 

SFX give some benefits and some drawbacks. 

But you probably DO expect lasers to take the Beam limitation (unless they're AoE or some other sort of non-beam approach) … and probably also expect them to melt/destroy the transparent objects through which they are shooting unless bought with Indirect (since shooting through things without harming them is an advantage … hence what Indirect is for, right)? 

Oh, I'd fully expect sonic weapons to work in space (since it's not truly a vacuum), albeit very poorly due to the thinness of particles … unless, of course, a limitation was taken to represent a power that doesn't function once a certain thinness of particles in a given volume of space was exceeded.

Just now, Surrealone said:

But you probably DO expect lasers to take the Beam limitation (unless they're AoE or some other sort of non-beam approach) … and probably also expect them to melt/destroy the transparent objects through which they are shooting unless bought with Indirect (since shooting through things without harming them is an advantage … hence what Indirect is for, right)? 

Oh, I'd fully expect sonic weapons to work in space (since it's not truly a vacuum), albeit very poorly due to the thinness of particles … unless, of course, a limitation was taken to represent a power that doesn't function once a certain thinness of particles in a given volume of space was exceeded.

I feel that forcing a player to take advantages for incidental upsides because of their SFX puts a lot of mental load on the players during character generation that's not really necessary.  My experience has been that descriptors in M&M help about as much as they hurt, and SFX in HERO so far hasn't been any different for my group. 

Along that same line of logic, I wouldn't require Indirect for lasering through glass unless a player decided to try to game the system. 

If Laser Guy wants to duck inside a glass phonebooth to take shelter from a swarm of killer rats while still returning fire, sure!  That's just playing smart.  It's also providing the GM the opportunity to send the Glass Gangster at him and force him to think outside the box. 

But if Laser Guy can also make invisible forcewalls and wants to shoot through them, he'd better have bought the right to do so.

Then again, I use HERO for Champions so my wiggle room for realistic physics is pretty generous.  It's my philosophy that things should default to working how people will naively expect them to work because that makes things flow better. 

As a side note, I'd also point out that not having to breath doesn't mean not being able to smell unless explicitly stated.  The power would have to be NND Lack of Ability to Smell which is explicitly illegal since you can't have the defense against a NND be "lack of X". 

3 hours ago, Surrealone said:

It is close enough to a vacuum to make the distinction pointless - and sonic weapons useless. The shockwave of any explosion is de-facto a sonic effect. Basically explosions and and sonic attacks are just about making a really loud sound.

Our most powerfull weapons - nuclear warheads - are not anywhere near their atmospheric power scale in space.

You need to delivere the effect to the enemies spacesuit/armor/body to have any chance to do damage.

Of course the opposite happens underwater. Sound travels 4.5 times as fast in water as it does in air.  What that means in rules effect is defined on 6E2 165. But basically "25% more power and ranged attack become cone AoE for free".

3 hours ago, Christopher said:

It is close enough to a vacuum to make the distinction pointless - and sonic weapons useless. The shockwave of any explosion is de-facto a sonic effect. Basically explosions and and sonic attacks are just about making a really loud sound.

You need to delivere the effect to the enemies spacesuit/armor/body to have any chance to do damage.

We'll have to agree to disagree for two reasons:

1. Just because the effect involves sound does NOT mean it has to be loud … or even heard ... to entail a sonic effect. Plenty of sonic attacks have nothing to do with the loudness of a sound. (Here's a real-world example.) Instead, these might be about achieving vibrational/resonant frequencies (which might not be loud or able to be heard, at all, without very specialized forms of detection) that match or disrupt those of the target.
  2. The distinction still matters, and your water opposition example helps underscore why (thank you, for that).  i.e. Where sound is used to generate the effect, it's all about range/effect.  In a thin medium, range and effect are merely reduced, whereas in a dense medium, range and effect are increased.  This means a player taking a 'does not work in space (-1/4)' limitation on a high-tech sonic weapon that generates sound to achieve an effect (in a space campaign, of course, where one would be most likely to find such weapons) has taken a limitation that removes ALL of the range/effect concern from  play … meaning the GM need not worry over the physics of it for that power because of the limitation. The player -should- realistically receive a limitation for this, since his/her power would otherwise work if placed 2cm from the helmet of an opposing attacker's space suit in order to Cover him/her (albeit, it would work to a lesser degree than than if the same were done in atmosphere, and the GM will have to figure out how much less).  This becomes even more true if the nature of the effect has nothing to do with loudness or sound-generated sonic effects.

The real-world example, above, entails the use of microwaves to create what is PERCEIVED to be sound.  (Given that perception is generally considered 9/10ths of reality, it's fair to call that a sonic attack, as the SFX entail perceived sounds.)  That's especially interesting, since it would work fine in space, regardless of the density/thinness of the medium, unless a 'does not work in space' limitation were taken.  This is why I provided you with that real-world example … so that you could see that your 'pointless' comment was rather pointless, itself, relative to plenty of sonic weapons and space, vacuums, etc. Using our real-world-example as … an example … what we see can boil it down to is a sonic attack built with Indirect.  Should that sonic attack magically not work in space for some reason just because the SFX are sonics?  I don't think so; it should work fine, there, unless a limitation for it is taken to preclude it from working in space.  (Note: Some might leap to say it's a NND, but I ask you, what's the reasonable defense?  Sitting a lead box???  Wearing a tinfoil hat?  Yea, this is why I feel building it as an Indirect sonic attack would make more sense. :) )

That brings us back to the topic at hand -- which is a paralyzing scent.  The proposed Entangle is a solid way to achieve it. However, since it will likely have absolutely no effect if the opposition filters it, doesn't breathe it in, has the flu and can't smell it, etc., then if we want to model it properly, we should be giving the player some points back for those situations in which it won't work at all, unless the potential occurrences of those situations are so rare and counterbalanced so as to make the limitation 0 points, in which case we should STILL present it as a -0 limitation.

Another way of looking at this (same coin from the other side) is to say that if the player takes such a limitation, the player has told the GM that s/he cares enough about proper modeling of the power to place realistic limitations on it that s/he feels could and would occur. Thus, unless the value of the limitation is 0, the GM should absolutely make sure those situations occur at some point so that the limitations justify the points saved. And even if the value of the limitation is 0, it should probably come up with the understanding that there are counterbalancing situations (such as being more effective in some conditions) that made it worth 0, in which case those should ALSO come up in the game.

Now, if both the player and the GM are OK with handwaving such realism away (because they feel that such realism is 'a lot of mental load' to use the words already provided, above), that's their collective business, but I don't feel it's reasonable to assume that all (or even most) players are into that; it's certainly not been my experience.  (Heck, a game I'm currently playing in, the GM builds guns as compound powers wherein the bullets constitute the part of the compound power that does damage, the optics/sights provide bonuses to offset range mods, and things such as slings provide combat modifiers when appropriate actions (e.g. Braced) allow them to be used. That is rock solid firearm modeling, since guns don't kill people, the projectiles fired from them do.)

12 hours ago, Christopher said:

Okay, this looks like a D&D Conversion. And not everything from D&D can be converted over to Hero at all:

Particular the whole concept of a saving Throw is there to offset some weaknesses of the D&D ruleset.

And the whole idea behind "make the throw once, be immune for 24h" is there to offset some issues with the power itself.

Different mechanics make a lot of conversions challenging.  Reasoning from effect to replicate the SFX of the ability, rather than hanging on specific mechanics, is important, in my view.

In this case, I agree that the best match for the effect is that the character is stunned.

12 hours ago, Christopher said:

APG I 83 has the Option " CHAnGE EnvIROnmEnT: STunnInG" with a big STOP sign. However it might be a near perfect match for what you try to do:

" At the GM’s option, characters can also use Change Environment against a single target to create an attack that Stuns the target without reducing his STUN. Tis combat effect costs 30
Character Points.
When used, this form of Change Environment Stuns the target, subjecting him to all the effects described on 6E2 104 (except for the loss of STUN; his STUN total isn’t reduced). Te Stunned effect lasts as long as the Change Environment is maintained. However, when affected the victim gets to make a CON Roll immediately, and if the roll succeeds the attack has no effect on him. If the roll fails, he gets to make an additional CON Roll every Phase he’s affected at a cumulative +1 (so +1 on his second roll, +2 on his third, and so on). As soon as any roll succeeds, the power immediately stops affecting him and he has his full Phase in which to act. To affect him further, the character using the Change Environment has to use an Attack Action and successfully attack him again.
To counteract the CON Roll, a character buying Change Environment (Stun) can include penalties to CON Rolls as an additional combat modifer
"

As the attack would be constant/persistent, there would be no way for the user to "make a new Attack Roll". But one could argue that the power is re-used (and thus requires a new set of throws) every 24h.

I was thinking of that APG build as well.  I had lobbied for  CE that Stuns when 6e was under development, because it feels like that is something we see in source material that the system has never handled well (ditto suffocation), so I may be biased.  Since it is an environmental change, anything that would avoid being exposed to the scent should prevent it from working by default, so we have the power as envisioned, I think.

On 12/16/2018 at 1:45 PM, Surrealone said:

Just because the effect involves sound does NOT mean it has to be loud … or even heard ... to entail a sonic effect. Plenty of sonic attacks have nothing to do with the loudness of a sound. (Here's a real-world example.) Instead, these might be about achieving vibrational/resonant frequencies (which might not be loud or able to be heard, at all, without very specialized forms of detection) that match or disrupt those of the target. 

There is still a minimal loudness even on those attacks, or they will simply not penetrate to where they will do any damage. And the interstellar medium is not really suited for conduction sound.

On 12/16/2018 at 1:45 PM, Surrealone said:

The real-world example, above, entails the use of microwaves to create what is PERCEIVED to be sound.

Then it is not a sonic attack. It is a EM Spectrum attack.

Maybe a hybrid EM/Sonic one - EM to deliver it to the body of the enemy, then Sonic to propagate from there.

Those are three incomparably different cases.

In many ways the EM spectrum is the opposite of Sonic things. Where one is strongest, the other is weakest.

On 12/15/2018 at 2:48 PM, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

I'd do it as something along the lines of

Paralyzing Stench:  Entangle 1d6, 1 DEF, Works Against CON, Not STR (+1/4), Takes No Damage From Attacks All Attacks (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Area Of Effect (4" Radius; +1), Continuous (+1) (47 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)

Adjust number of dice to fit tastes. 

Anyone who walks into the area has to make a Casual CON roll.  If they don't get enough NDB on the CON roll, they're paralyzed until they get a good enough roll to break out. 

To get more of the feeling of the power, add another limitation: If CON roll is made, doesn't affect target for another turn

On 12/16/2018 at 6:58 AM, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

If Laser Guy wants to duck inside a glass phonebooth to take shelter from a swarm of killer rats while still returning fire, sure!  That's just playing smart.  It's also providing the GM the opportunity to send the Glass Gangster at him and force him to think outside the box. 

It is the second part of this that I would have difficulty with as a GM.  The Glass Gangster is getting immunity from Laser Guy's attack despite the fact that the EB has no limitation on it that prevents it from damaging glass.  If Glass Gangster is a one-off villain that will pop up very irregularly to offset the advantages Laser Guy is accruing from shooting through glass without damaging it, then, after discussing it with the player, I might go for it.  Without Glass Gangster, I would make the player take an indirect (or throw an indirect version into a multipower) to reflect the advantages acquired.  I know my players would find LOTS of ways to use that and to extrapolate on the IF THAT, THEN THIS principle.

Doc

On 12/15/2018 at 2:06 PM, tigersloth said:

Paralzing scent

I think we're moving off point a little.

Based on the SFX, we have an attack that manifests as a gaseous substance. This gaseous substance only works against a person that has a sense of smell. If a person can fight off its effect, they are immune to its effect for a day.

An attack that works based on their ability to smell does not need for the subject to breathe normally, so having Life Support: Does Not Breathe is not protection from the attack unless the SFX of the protection affects how they smell; an example being a space suit or hazmat suit. While the nature of the monster he's converting isn't clear based on the OP, being in a vacuum does not protect you from the scent, but at the same time, most people don't try smelling in a vacuum either. Holding one's breath does not protect from noting a scent, just makes it a lot harder to smell since humans generally need to breathe to smell, although you could hold your nose to prevent smelling the substance. 

So, we have an Entangle with an Area of Effect of 4 meters. The inability to smell is rather rare so I don't feel IMO that warrants a Limitation for the power but if we want to represent the Save Throws mechanic in this power, that does warrant a Limitation.

In a game like Starfinder, Pathfinder, and D&D, the character's ability to resist effects is based mainly on their experience level, but since the Hero System is a point based system we need to handle things differently. The easiest way to represent this would be to use the Requires a [Skill] Roll mechanic but this is inverted in that it a roll to see if the power fails as opposed to succeeding and the difficulty to resist the power is based on the Campaign needs. Being based on Constitution seems appropriate, but the target number is the issue now.

Resists with a Constitution Roll

We can start with the CON roll being worth a -1 limitation. I feel this is mechanically the same as using your 11- roll from Requires a Roll and the additional 1/2 limitation for the -1 to roll per 5 AP from the table on CC 114 or 6E1 389. If you want it to be easier or harder to resist, we can take use the table as a guide.

Penalty to CON Roll  Limitation
-3                   3/4 less limitation
-2                   1/2 less limitation
-1                   1/4 less limitation

Bonus to CON Roll    Limitation
+1                   1/4 more limitation
+2                   1/2 more limitation
+3                   3/4 more limitation
+4(or more)          1 more limitation

I'd love to hear your comments on this solution

1 hour ago, cptpatriot said:

I think we're moving off point a little.

I think we have all options listed in the above posts. Now we are just waiting for a OP response wich option he choose.

And the APG rule I posted is a 90% match for the original pwoer writeup. I mean it is for 6E. but it should be portable. As much as any "Optional Rule with giant STOP sign" can be useable.

1 hour ago, cptpatriot said:

Based on the SFX, we have an attack that manifests as a gaseous substance. This gaseous substance only works against a person that has a sense of smell. If a person can fight off its effect, they are immune to its effect for a day. 

An attack that works based on their ability to smell does not need for the subject to breathe normally, so having Life Support: Does Not Breathe is not protection from the attack unless the SFX of the protection affects how they smell; an example being a space suit or hazmat suit. While the nature of the monster he's converting isn't clear based on the OP, being in a vacuum does not protect you from the scent, but at the same time, most people don't try smelling in a vacuum either. Holding one's breath does not protect from noting a scent, just makes it a lot harder to smell since humans generally need to breathe to smell, although you could hold your nose to prevent smelling the substance.  

That gives me a Idea:
AVAD (Smell Flash Defense)

That should include "if you can not smell it you are immune." Pretty sure lack of smell is the ultimative Smell Flash Defense.

• 4 weeks later...

I really liked the Entangle idea, but I'd be concerned with characters in a Fantasy Hero setting (where I generally run games) breaking through a 1 DEF/ 1 Bod entangle with a casual CON roll.

What I normally do to balance out the abilities of Pathfinder / D&D converted modules is allow the ability to be defeated with an attribute roll contest vs. the strength of the spell or ability.

So in this case because it is DC 13 and I translate that to base roll +1 in difficulty (rough estimate for pathfinder is every +4 DC = 1pt shift in skill rank for Hero) I would have my player make a CON roll vs. the enemies funky stench using a 12 or less for them.

If the player succeeds by the same or more points than the creature then they would be immune to the effect for 24 hours.  Otherwise entangled.

Not keeping the skill roll contest in play to simulate saving throws tends to make the converted enemies VERY strong.  I like to add it to the limitations of converted monster/NPC spells as a -1/2 for abilities that are at 1/2 effect with a save and as a -1 against abilities that are completely negated by a save.

On 12/15/2018 at 6:08 PM, Surrealone said:

That makes sense so why not just put on a Limiation: Doesn’t work vs  if not smelled?.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Starfinder is based on Pathfinder, which should have been obvious ?.  Looking at the Pathfinder Rules, Paralysis is a condition defined as:

A paralysed character is frozen in place and unable to move or act.  A paralysed character has effective Dexterity and Strength scores of 0 and is helpless, but can take purely mental actions….

There is more but that is the important bit.

That references another condition: helpless.  Pathfinder defines that as follows:

A helpless character is paralysed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy….as a full round action, an enemy can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless foe…

A coup de grace is an automatic hit, critical damage and an automatic death chance.  HERO does not have a coup de grace mechanism as such.

So, I would say that, in HERO terms, the paralysed target can not move physically and is easier to hit, which Entangle gives you, but is also takes extra damage, which Entangle does not give you.  Being Stunned (can we please change that term to Dazed, or somesuch?) does all of that too (albeit differently: ½ DCV rather than 0 DCV), but your non-persistent powers drop at the end of the segment. Pathfinder paralysis specifically says you can take mental actions, which (in HERO) would include maintaining powers, so that’s not quite right either.

The nearest effect that I can see to simulate extra damage (pretty much the only way you can score extra damage if you are not using hit locations – actually, are you, because if you are then you can add levels to make it an automatic hit on a high-damage area…) is surprised outside combat and that is not something you can easily engineer.

I’m not entirely sure that we can manage the effect precisely and at a reasonable price, especially in 5ER, without taking some liberties…

Mental Paralysis in 5ER was problematic.  It worked by adding the following advantages: takes no damage from physical attacks (+1/4), works against EGO not STR (+1/4) and cannot form barriers (-1/4).

That does not really work because 5ER did not have the +1 level of ‘takes no damage from attacks’ so, technically, that build still allows the entangle to be targeted by physical attacks.  As a pseudo-mental power you could then add ‘works against CON (-1)’, but it isn’t REALLY a mental power, so I’d handwave replacing EGO with CON, probably and….well, I wouldn’t do it like that, I’d do it like this:

Entrancing Scent: Mind Control 1d6, Telepathic (+1/4), Cumulative (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (Hone Hex x 4: 4" Radius; +1), Invisible to Hearing, and Sight Groups, Hide effects of Power (+1 1/2) (34 Active Points); Based on CON (Defense: PD; -1), Always On (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Set Effect (Stand still and take no physical actions; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a third of its effectiveness (Once a breakout roll is made, the target is immune for 24 hours; -1/2), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Target must have a sense of smell and be able to smell; -1/4), Limited Power Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Breakout roll every turn; -1/4)

34 Active points 7 Character points

It is cumulative so you may have to be in the area for a couple of turns (or you could up the number of dice).  You probably need about CON+10 because you want the victim to remain standing still, but if the target were to be attacked then they would get a breakout roll at +4 to shake off the effects.  Or you could shoot for CON+30 to start with – it would take longer but the target would not get an additional breakout roll.

In a heroic game, CON+10 may be around 25, which would require the target to be exposed for 5 or 6 turns.  You could always give the tree a SPD 12…alternatively you could halve the time by doubling the dice (67 AP/15 CP).  This makes individual trees reasonably easy to avoid, but a copse of them can be dangerous. 

The only perceivable SFX is smell, and the effect is not obvious until it happens.  You should probably give PCs hints: you smell something unusual, a scent, it is really quite lovely, and you want to stop and identify just what it is…

So, not the same, but a pretty good copy.

You automatically get a breakout roll before the Mind Control takes effect.