Flute power suggestions

Tech

Well, a Ranged Killing Attack that affects only solid objects (sympathetic vibration) would be a good Focus-destroyer. The mythic Orpheus could cause the stones to dance through the music from his lyre; so maybe a Telekinesis defined as animating nearby objects. Summoning animals would be a justifiable variation of Mind Control. The Marvel villain Klaw (comics version) can create objects out of "solidified sound," including his own superhuman body. Becoming intangible and "phasing" through matter via vibration control is well-established in comics (Flash etc).

Sound is a decent SFX to base a character on.  Deafen your foes, carry messages across miles, knock people around with blasts of sound, make "sound walls", navigate with sonar, etc. 

Sound is vibration is a decent SFX to base a character on.  Shake objects apart, shake things out of people's hands, set up constructive interference to make things explode, knock people down by shaking the ground, etc. 

Sound is music brings emotions is a decent SFX to base a character on.  Inspire courage in your allies, start infighting by inducing anger, drive off a foe by causing fear, sooth the angry mob with calming tunes, etc. 

A flute is a wind instrument is wind is etc.  Blow your foes away, create walls of swirling wind, soar through the skies, make your flute play itself from a distance, etc. 

A flute is music is rhythm is etc.  Force a bad pattern on your foes to throw them off, correct the rhythm of your ally's actions, coordinate a battlefield by sound alone, etc.  A lot more abstract than the others. 

Flutes have iconic significance in snake charming.  The flute has "suggestive qualities" that make it a fitting prop for a seductive villain(ess).  Flutes are tolerable bludgeons, though that's likely better as a backup option.  A flute could easily have a hidden compartment inside for a blade or other useful item. 

20 hours ago, Gnome BODY (important!) said:

Flutes are tolerable bludgeons, though that's likely better as a backup option.  A flute could easily have a hidden compartment inside for a blade or other useful item. 

They seem a little small to be clubs, though some might be the right size for jojutsu or escrima. I think those tend to use paired weapons, though.

A larger instrument might work better for a single-weapon martial art. Dang. Now I want to write up a quarterstaff/bo fighter who wields a bassoon.

Dean Shomshak

On 12/18/2018 at 10:04 PM, Tech said:

For Champions, what powers (other than Mind Control) can you suggest for someone who plays a flute focus?  I'm no expert on music but I wouldn't mind some music terms for each power.  The only other one I can think of might be a sonic blast. 

I rememebr reading a Webcomic a while back. It did have a master villain based on the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

I just can not remember the name. And I am unsure if it is still online.

Edit: The Webcomie was Dark Wick. Unfortunatley it is no longer online. So I have to go from memory.

30 minutes ago, Christopher said:

I rememebr reading a Webcomic a while back. It did have a master villain based on the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

I just can not remember the name. And I am unsure if it is still online.

Edit: The Webcomie was Dark Wick. Unfortunatley it is no longer online. So I have to go from memory.

As I said, the Maestro was based on the Pied Piper of Hamelin.

His primary power was Mind Control. he could easily controll masses of people. At one point he had a spy place a receiver at a resident superheroes head, to get lasting mind control (something on the Transform level?).

Now his abilities were not limited to Mind control however. At one point he created a golem or two. A form of summon I would guess.

Turning that Superhero gave him de-facto her water control abilties.

Also the flute was not strictly required. He could do lesser effects with his voice alone. Any instrument could work, apparently.

He of course had Sonic blasts, Sonic NND attacks, etc.

A ancestor of him fought the Arch Angel Gabriel (or at least the comics interpretation). Mind Control did not work against that one (Only the lord can control my powers). However the ancestor Maestro was able to effectively "cancel out" the Trumpet of Jericho power (a sonic based blast). So a supress/drain/contest of power vs Sonic.

The ancestor was also somehow capable to stand on water, IIRC. Something about soundwaves changing the support ability of water? So their sonic powers were rather freely applied.

I just remembered, the Avengers (2010 cartoon) interpretation of Vibranium had acoustic/sound properties. At one point their version of Ulysses Claw turned into a...sound giant? Acoustic Elemental?

Season 1, Episode 11: Panters Quest

Generally panthers Vibranium weapons had a certain sound effect. They also seemed universally usefull against Desolidification defenses (Malekith, those Asgardian Ghost things during the finale few episodes).