AD&D (1st Edition) Spell Conversion Proof Reader Wanted

Rapier

It's mostly all in the title.

I'm running a bunch of 1st Edition AD&D ports for GenCon this year. Instead of doing it piecemeal and not having what I need, I've decided to go to the extra effort and convert all the spells into Hero (eventual goal is to upload everything to the library so everyone can have it). My goal is to have a master spellbook with the descriptions and particulars of each spell (that will probably also contain the Hero build) and a Prefab for HD. I'm going to have one prefab for Cleric Spells, one for Druid Spells, and one for Magic-Users. I'm skipping Illusionists because no one ever liked them anyway.

My plan is to provide each spellcasting character with their own physical copy of their personal spellbook with all of the spells they know. I believe I'm also planning on having an export format for JUST their spells so that they have a copy of the Hero builds for their character sheet. So each player would receive a bound/stapled physical copy of a spellbook that may/may not include the Hero builds of all of their spells. They will get their character sheet that will have a Custom Power called Spellbook that costs as much as the spells they have. They will also get an extra sheet (or two) called Spellbook that will be an export format that includes nothing but their spells. So if anyone has/would like to also help with an Export Format I wouldn't turn away help (there is probably one in the Vault, but I haven't spent too much time digging around in there just because I'm not to that point yet). I haven't played with Export Formats in (quite literally) years and I'm rusty. I can do it but it will be slow going for a while. I'd also like to have some kind of fancy cover for each caster, but that's if I find the time or find someone to mock something up for me (or I can find something to steal).

I'm rapidly closing in on the point that I'll be done with the Cleric Spells (I just started 5th level today and there are only 7 levels of spells) and I could use another set of eyes to compare the HD builds to the descriptions/details in the master list. I'd also the builds looked at, to ensure I haven't neglected an AoE or a Time Limit or something (or miscalculated the Magic Skill modifier). Any helpers would get a mention in the file and my eternal gratitude. Obviously we have some time (since GenCon is in August), but the sooner I get this done the sooner I can move on to other things.

So, what I'm looking for is a few people willing to read through some spell descriptions (and find typos and spots where I neglected to remove reference to Levels, etc) and compare them to an HD file (so you will need HD), and while you are proofreading double check the builds and let me know if I have missed something or (in some cases) if my build is just whackadoodle and you have an idea of a better/easier way to do it. I'm doing all the heavy lifting but after a while I'm finding that I am missing some things and not everything is consistent in build/methodology. I'm going to go through and proofread them myself again (obviously) but you don't always do a good job proofing your own work.

Thanks in advance.

-r

EDIT: Samples below, first is spellbook, second is HD.

Cure Critical Wounds

Range: No Range

Casting Time: 1 Minute

Components: V, S

Duration: Instant

Magic Skill: -3

College: Necromantic

Area of Effect: 1 Creature

Mana Cost: 2

Brief: 4d6 Simplified Healing

Description: This spell is a very potent version of the Cure Light Wounds spell. Upon laying his or her hand upon a creature, the cleric causes 4d6 points of healing on a wound or other injury damage to the creature's body to be healed. This wound will not affect creatures without corporeal bodies, nor will it cause wounds to creatures not living or those which can be harmed only by iron, silver, and for magical weapons.

Cure Critical Wounds:  Healing BODY/STUN 4d6, Usable By Other (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (60 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Requires A Roll (Magic Skill, -3; -1/4)

EDIT EDIT: It might also be helpful to compare the spells to the original AD&D versions. If you don't have a first edition players handbook, I have a PDF I can loan you.

I'll definitely drop you a note. Other than HD, everything is in Word. I briefly considered PageMaker (or InDesign as they call it now), but I needed something more typing than designing. I'm trying to go through while I work and come through with some kind of design brief so that everyone is on the same page. I'm trying to stick pretty closely to the writer's guidelines, and one of the biggest problems I'm seeing is inconsistency. I should be finishing up the last of the cleric spells today (or early tomorrow) and I can send them over to you then to take a look at.

18 hours ago, shuddemell said:

Okay, if you want at some point I can also port it to InDesign. If you set up styles in Word, those also can be made to read directly into InDesign so formatting is minimal. I will be looking forward to receiving those files.

I'm not really worried about the layout. I've got it tightened down pretty well. The only thing I'm pondering is if I should include the Hero build in the Spellbook. I can see an argument either way. 

One other thing I should ask is this. Do you want me to actually make the corrections or provide a marked up copy for you to correct? Certainly, if it is a rewording issue, I will provide you with suggestions rather than changing anything drastically, but as far as punctuation, spelling and style inconsistencies, which do you prefer?

Nope I did that. I have gone through everything and updated them all. It wasn't too many but I did make that mistake. I have the updates I can send you or you can just keep on keeping on with what you have. I have been TRYING not to make any changes to the docs you have, just for version control.

Just now, Rapier said:

Nope I did that. I have gone through everything and updated them all. It wasn't too many but I did make that mistake. I have the updates I can send you or you can just keep on keeping on with what you have. I have been TRYING not to make any changes to the docs you have, just for version control.

The programmer in me is screaming "GET GIT" right now. 

Putting your documents up on github is free and will let you do proper version control, I'd highly recommend it. 

Even back in the day when I was actually playing AD&D, I don't think I actually sat down and read through the entire Player's Handbook cover-to-cover. I may have, but I don't actually recall ever doing so. Reading through all the spells and pondering them as I convert I've realised that they spent a good deal of effort making the spells/spellcasters unique. Cleric spells have long casting times and long effects, mage spells tend towards low casting times, druid spells are very nature focused (duh) and sit a bit in the middle between casting times and ranges. So one thing to put on my list of world building is to consider how the different types of magic operate. Come up with some hard and fast rules like: priest spells have slow casts, long durations, and high END. That will help you when it comes time to design spells. That sense of continuity can really help to make the spells feel cohesive.

2 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

The AD&D 1e illusionist is a whole different beast from later editions' "school of illusion" specialized wizards.  

It definitely is, and if I was considering making this an actual AD&D conversion campaign I would totally convert those spells also (especially since most of them are just copies of other spells from other classes it would be easy). Since I'm building the characters and such I'm skipping Illusionists. :) Of course, that might change, once I'm done with all the other spells I might miss doing my conversion and go ahead and do them (just for the sake of completeness).

18 hours ago, Rapier said:

Cool, I won't worry about that particular issue then.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I got stuck in physical therapy for six or eight hours a week. Then I had some surgery and have a bit more in about a week. Kind of EVERYTHING has gotten tossed to the side. It's still on my list and I'm putting in occasional efforts. :)

On 11/5/2019 at 5:45 AM, Tywyll said:

What happened with this project?

On 12/14/2019 at 12:19 PM, Rapier said:

I got stuck in physical therapy for six or eight hours a week. Then I had some surgery and have a bit more in about a week. Kind of EVERYTHING has gotten tossed to the side. It's still on my list and I'm putting in occasional efforts. :)

I'd sad face this, though I think that counts as a Downvote. Hope you are doing okay!

• 2 years later...

Well, it's been a spell!

I have a first pass done through with Characteristics, Races, Cultures, and Classes.

I just finished the second pass of spells, and those are getting tighter. My next task is, before I start anything new, to go through my To Do list and make those changes. A lot of them deal with how I built some of the spells so I will have to dig back into spells in a bit, but I'll work on other things first because I am sick of looking at this damned database.

The next "big" tasks (that really aren't) is going to be arms/armour/equipment and alignment. I have headings and a framework of what still needs to be done, so it is mostly going through my To Do list and then moving on to the next bit of emptiness. Progress is still progress if it took a couple of years, right?