Champions for High School D&D Players

Pariah

I doubt I'll get the chance to run every player through an introductory adventure of their own. My plan* is to have an opening adventure where 3-4 of them all happen meet somewhere, like a museum where the alarm goes off after hours.

*Okay, it's only about 12% of a plan.

One rules system is stumbeled over is "Open Legends", wich is a OpenSoruce RPG.

I noticed the similarity to HERO instantly. It might even be a suiteable demo/learning tool for the HERO system.

It does have a whole lot less granularity then hero.

I really need to finish writing about it in the General Rolepalying Forum so you can see what I mean.

• 5 months later...

Hey, this is a quick request for feedback. I've put together a quick Glossary/Vocabulary Guide for new players. What have I missed? What's in there that doesn't need to be?

If you fine Herophiles wouldn't mind taking a quick look and commenting, I'd be grateful!

Champions Glossary and Terminology

35 minutes ago, Chris Goodwin said:

What

No, this is not an invitation for an explanation.  Just... 

What

The closest I can explain it without getting banned. It's a manga/anime series. And the hero of it has that vary power.

Okay, that was...a thing.

Question for all: Who are the essential Champions organizations? VIPER is the first that comes to my mind, followed closely by PRIMUS and UNTIL. I figure Genocide or someone like them will show up if there's a significant mutant presence. Are there any established anti-alien/"Earth First" kinds of organizations? Who else am I forgetting?

8 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Okay, that was...a thing.

Question for all: Who are the essential Champions organizations? VIPER is the first that comes to my mind, followed closely by PRIMUS and UNTIL. I figure Genocide or someone like them will show up if there's a significant mutant presence. Are there any established anti-alien/"Earth First" kinds of organizations? Who else am I forgetting?

For my games small organizations/teams are essential.  GRAB is one I used a lot.

For large groups original DEMON if the supernatural plays in the world.  Original because I didn't really like the direction and events in the later version.

Edited by Spence
spelling

On 7/8/2019 at 8:22 AM, Pariah said:

Hey, this is a quick request for feedback. I've put together a quick Glossary/Vocabulary Guide for new players. What have I missed? What's in there that doesn't need to be?

If you fine Herophiles wouldn't mind taking a quick look and commenting, I'd be grateful!

Champions Glossary and Terminology

I'd add the following terms/phrases:

Segment vs Phase

Delay/Delayed

Stunned (not con stunned)

Post 12

Presence Attack

BODY as a damage term

STUN MOD

Once a turn, once a minute, and GM'd

Knockback

PER roll

52 minutes ago, Pariah said:

VIPER is one of the organizations you can't really do without. If you try, you will simply need to use VIPER, and take an eraser and pencil and change the details.

PRIMUS and UNTIL are also needed. While they both are not necessarily needed, having one organization which helps heroes is something good to have.

The rest are there if needed, and can be ignored if not.

2 hours ago, steriaca said:

PRIMUS and UNTIL are also needed. While they both are not necessarily needed, having one organization which helps heroes is something good to have

Since my games usually take pIace in the US I tend to use PRIMUS but not UNTIL.   I will re-purpose UNTIL items for PRIMUS if needed, but generally only use UNTIL in an external advisory capacity, much like INTERPOL.  They have no jurisdiction within the US, but Agencies may work with them on a case by case bases.  

1 hour ago, drunkonduty said:

There is an anti-alien organisation from 4th ed. Alien Enemies. Maybe called the Exoplanetary Society? Or maybe not. Long time since I read that source book.

Hmm, I've got that one somewhere. I'll have to look for it. Thanks for the reminder! :thumbup:

What you absolutely need in your Champions campaign...

1) A huge criminal empire of some kind. They might simply want riches. They might want to rule the world. But they are there.

2) A mega-villain. That one huge powerful guy in the background who the heroes can't reach just yet...

3) A comic relief villain. Someone like Foxbat or CLOWN to have some whimsy in the campaign.

4) A villain who is just plain spooky and scary. A disturbed little pr*ck who your heroes might forget there Code VS Killing.

5) A police super organization, to help heroes or turn against them when accused of a crime.

3 hours ago, drunkonduty said:

There is an anti-alien organisation from 4th ed. Alien Enemies. Maybe called the Exoplanetary Society? Or maybe not. Long time since I read that source book.

"The Exterminators."

If I may:

The Exterminators are a band of anti-alien agents formed by Dr. Maxwell "Specs" Sanders In response to the increasing accounts of contact with beings from beyond Earth. By superheroic stan- dards they are slow and most are lousy shots. However, they are armed to the teeth with ridiculously powerful and unstable weap- onry, making them dangerous to have around.

And in "campaign use:"

The Exterminators are narrow-minded, consider- ing all ali~ns to be a threat~which must be dealt with severely. To them, ahens have less rights than common animals. and the elimination of "little space invaders" is an amoral task. The Exter- minators are stubborn in their cause, ;1nd they operate with all the logic a~d finesse of a bunch of drunk hunters. Alternatively, the Extern:iinators can be a source of comic relief in a campaign, bumbling their way after U.F.O. sightings and leaving a trail of plasma-melted wreckage in their wakes. They may Interfere with the_heroes' efforts to legitimately deal with alien threats, endan- gering not only nearby Innocents but the heroes as well with their misfiring plasma generators. However. if one of the heroes is an alien, the Exterminators may pose a more serious threat.

I won't swear I know it, but I _think_ that's the one you're thinking of.