Champions for High School D&D Players

Pariah

21 minutes ago, steriaca said:

What you absolutely need in your Champions campaign...

1) A huge criminal empire of some kind. They might simply want riches. They might want to rule the world. But they are there.

2) A mega-villain. That one huge powerful guy in the background who the heroes can't reach just yet...

3) A comic relief villain. Someone like Foxbat or CLOWN to have some whimsy in the campaign.

4) A villain who is just plain spooky and scary. A disturbed little pr*ck who your heroes might forget there Code VS Killing.

5) A police super organization, to help heroes or turn against them when accused of a crime.

Great suggestions! Here are my thoughts so far:

1) VIPER. This one's a no-brainer.

2) I've got a home-brewed villain named Doctor Halo. Think Magneto, but with EM energy (light, radio, gamma rays, etc.) instead of magnetism.

3) I'm thinking The Ultimates (Binder, etc.).

4) I don't have a clear idea on this one. Recommendations?

5) PRIMUS.

38 minutes ago, steriaca said:

What you absolutely need in your Champions campaign...

1) A huge criminal empire of some kind. They might simply want riches. They might want to rule the world. But they are there.

2) A mega-villain. That one huge powerful guy in the background who the heroes can't reach just yet...

3) A comic relief villain. Someone like Foxbat or CLOWN to have some whimsy in the campaign.

4) A villain who is just plain spooky and scary. A disturbed little pr*ck who your heroes might forget there Code VS Killing.

5) A police super organization, to help heroes or turn against them when accused of a crime.

I would suggest the addition of a small villain group that are not necessarily killers.  My go to is GRAB, a group of super thieves who hire out their talents as well as pull off heists on their own. 

7 hours ago, Pariah said:

Ooh, The Monster. I'll have to take a look at him.

The Monster is meant to be molded into any campaign. And even if you keep him mysterious, can still be a major threat in your world. From a summoned demon in disguise, to killer robot, to physical incarnation of the fear of the unknown, to a guy who rediscovered Dr. Jeckals formula, he could be anything.

Frankensteinian construct? Xenophobic alien? Nuclear test survivor? The possibilities are endless.

I looked him up in Enemies II last night. He's a pretty simple build, but his first three stats are 65, 30, and 40. Yikes!

5 hours ago, steriaca said:

The Monster is meant to be molded into any campaign. And even if you keep him mysterious, can still be a major threat in your world. From a summoned demon in disguise, to killer robot, to physical incarnation of the fear of the unknown, to a guy who rediscovered Dr. Jeckals formula, he could be anything.

5 hours ago, Pariah said:

Frankensteinian construct? Xenophobic alien? Nuclear test survivor? The possibilities are endless.

I looked him up in Enemies II last night. He's a pretty simple build, but his first three stats are 65, 30, and 40. Yikes!

Yep.  The Monster has made many an appearance over the years.  Of course never under that specific name :sneaky:

• 3 weeks later...

RE: #4 At the risk of sounding completely clichéd, I'm thinking my campaign's scary, spooky villain could be a classic monster. A vampire, maybe. Smart, powerful, sophisticated, manipulative, and prone to leaving dead civilians lying around every so often. He (or she) might even turn a few victims instead of killing them to give the heroes someone to chase other than themselves. This villain would be an ongoing threat, not someone the heroes could deal with in just an adventure or two.

What do you think?

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

RE: #4 At the risk of sounding completely clichéd, I'm thinking my campaign's scary, spooky villain could be a classic monster. A vampire, maybe. Smart, powerful, sophisticated, manipulative, and prone to leaving dead civilians lying around every so often. He (or she) might even turn a few victims instead of killing them to give the heroes someone to chase other than themselves. This villain would be an ongoing threat, not someone the heroes could deal with in just an adventure or two.

What do you think?

Doable, but be careful. If you make him get away too offen, they might not like him showing up all the time.

Unless the plot demands it, he should always be captureable. This way the heroes can point to it and say they are doing good in the world. And the players.

(He can always excape later, or if dead/redead, resurrect later.)

I was thinking of him as a villain that the heroes would work up to, something like this:

First there are a few mysterious deaths, some people doing things they wouldn't normally do any having no memory of doing them, that sort of thing. Then someone says they witnessed one of the deaths, and the heroes investigate and discover what's really happening. They find a vampire and take them down, but it turns out it's just a subordinate. When they finally find the Big Bad vampire, he eludes the heroes one time. After that, they take him down for good.

This would be spread out over several adventures, probably with other (more mundane) things happening in between.

I once used a werewolf as a "serial killer" in the Heroes city.  

Since the werewolf didn't know he was a werewolf and had no memory of the kills, he carried on as innocent during the police investigation.

The "serial killer" was a recurring thorn in the Heroes side for weeks.    They simply couldn't find a pattern, since there wasn't one.  The attacks were all random.  :sneaky: