Aquaman Spoiler Thread

Christopher

2 hours ago, Christopher said:

Something I noticed:
The Blade that black Manta got from his Grandfather - it cut Aquaman. Only Atlantean Steel can do that. Now where could a WW2 Forgmen have gotten a Atlantean Steel knive from?

It's also possible that the Atlantean commando armor that he was wearing gave him extra strength that made the difference.  Though I do think that the knife will turn out to be special.

On 12/30/2018 at 8:28 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

It wouldn't be DC Comics if they didn't insanely overinflate the power level of their heroes

To be fair you could replace DC with Marvel in this sentence and it would still be true. I am no Aquaman expert but I believe his strength level has been in the 50 to 60 range (in HERO terms) for decades even though it is not really his schtick. Based on the latest comics I suppose it would be 60 at least maybe more.

If I recall correctly, a few years ago he was given STR 10 in the DC RPG which I believe equates to STR 60 in HERO. Decades earlier he only had STR 8 (STR 40 in HERO) in DC Heroes.

As usual his feats in comics (and now movies) do not necessarily match these numbers.

On 12/31/2018 at 6:34 PM, death tribble said:

I came out thinking 'somebody has been paying to the criticism that DC films have had up to now'. Aquaman saved people. during the film. The Russian sailors who were smart enough to lock themselves in the torpedo room. And you see the, being brought back alive. And also during the fight in Italy. 

As they did in every other DC film. Why are people still on about that lie "nobody is being saved"? It is really bleeping me off!

Man of Steel alone had:

All those guys on the oil rig.

Lois Lane.

Humanity, 4 times over.

That family in the end from Zods laser eyes.

BvS:

Too many "superman is here to save the day" scenes to remember.

Humanity from Doomsday

Wonder Woman:

Humanity from Ares manipulation, wich would have turned Nucelar in the next WW.

Everyone that would have been killed by the final plane.

Suicide Squad:

Everyone in every miltiar installation that was not destoryed.

Humanity, again.

And it was caused by non-powered Humanity. So you are welcome.

Justice League:

Wonder Woman saving everyone at the bank.

Aquaman by giving poor fishers fish to eat while the harbor is froozen.

All those caputred scientists/workers by Flash.

Superman from Death.

All those guys around the Nuclear Reactor from Steppenwolf/a government nuclear response/expanding terraforming.

Humanity from deadlby Terraforming, again.

They save humanity between 1-4 times per film.

Compared to that, the few billion deaths from a Atlantean/Surface war was tame casualties.

20 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I think people remember all the people that were murdered or died horribly for no good reason other than THIS WILL BE EPIC AND DARK, and that offsets any heroism that might have incidentally happened. 

You mean like all those people that died in the Floodwaves? Or all the parts of the subcrew that did not make it to the Torpedo Room?

Oceanmaster propably killed way more people then Zod, Steppenwolf and 1 month of Joker crimes combined. All with just one attack and some little sub-surface warfare.

Apparently if the person that dies is not shown, it is lighthearted action instead of "dark"?

53 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I haven't seen Aquaman to comment on it, but get back to me when he kills an entire city because he can't figure out its a good idea to fight the supervillain somewhere other than downtown.

To be fair, Zod was a general and experienced combatant. If anyone is going to control the location of the battle, it's him, not Clark. Though it would have been nice to show Superman at least make the attempt, which I don't recall happening. (It's been a long while since I've seen it though.)

Though it would have been nice to show Superman at least make the attempt, which I don't recall happening. (It's been a long while since I've seen it though.)

He didn't even try.  Heck in Smallville fight he kept punching people TOWARD buildings and people, causing more destruction.  And I get it to some degree.  A fight in a big city seems more epic with buildings falling over, etc.  And buildings are a lot cheaper and easier to CGI than nature.  But seriously he'd start a fight in a cornfield and sock a guy into a 7-11 and gas station for a big gnarly explosion. 

Somehow I suspect Aquaman wasn't big on that.

Wow, 2 pages in and I don't feel like I made a mistake liking it as people explain why I shouldn't have. This really was an epic win for DC. Usually by now I am not coming into the thread because of the number of posters who disliked the movie and explained why, and I agree that some of the points make sense and begin to feel like I shouldn't have liked the movie. But this time seems like everything is mostly positive.

It was definitely a great movie, and much lighter in tone than in previous DC films where protagonists fight each other and/or die.  Was there a sanitized death toll?  Sure, but that's action movie 101.  There were high death tolls in GotG and AoU and the Battle of New York, but no one complains about how daaarrk those movies are.

I think part of the "death and dark" thing is whether you show the heroes actively trying to help people/save lives. Original Christopher Reeve Superman showed him doing small things, Cap in New York going out of his way (leaving Hawkeye and Widow alone) to make sure emergency workers got people out safely (also in AoU rescuing people before the big kaboom). As was pointed out earlier, you never saw Superman in MoS even trying to move the fights or save citizens other then breaking Zod's neck. In JL, he and Flash were specifically getting people out of the combat zone. WW was trying to save an entire town. Aquaman specifically went and made sure the sailors were ok.

I think that is the difference in tone. Are the people around just scenery to be blown through.