Golden Age

Doc Democracy

19 hours ago, death tribble said:

You could have specific location ones such as

Red Dragon from Wales based obviously on the Welsh flag.

John Bull for England 

and Black Watch for Scotland based on the regiment. Maybe a piper in full regalia but that all depends on how much of a stereotype you wish ior are comfortable with. I can't think of an Irish one that isn't really a stereotype.

[...]

The Spanish Civil War is on during 1937 so you could have refugees from Spain turning up. Or fighters as there were British fighters in the International Brigades. Bearing in mind that the Soviets were recruiting agents in the 30s there could be KGB involvement 

As for a Irish supers, there is the Banshee, Leprecaun and other Mythical creatures.

A lot of Cletic gods too.

For general Cultural Ideas, look at teh Vanguard Webcomic:

http://vanguardcomic.com/comic/vanguard-3/

As for the Spanish Civili war, every western Nation had stuff from actual Volunteers, to "well dressed Volunteers"*, to outright Expeditionary forces. Or even just lend lease deals to their favored side.

I still remember that time in Hearts of Iron 4, where my Communist Polland helped in the the scoailsits in the spanish Civili War.

9 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Not quite decided on a base, the heroes are going to be a supergroup.  They will each be the strongest members of teams from around the UK/Empire, who come together to deal with national level threats.  They will be the premier superhero group in the UK, no one to turn to for higher powered help.  They will be experienced and powerful.

I am also planning to rehabilitate Chamberlain a bit.  He does appease the Nazis but has the motive of preventing a Second World War, avoiding millions of deaths across the globe.  While being a bit supine politically, he will be bringing these super humans together to undermine Nazi policy.  The players will have a few victories that prevent Britain being knocked out of the war, or subverted into a fascist society, Edward Moseley will be their biggest  meta-opponent early on in the campaign.  Britain will not fall under a fascist spell and vote in a fascist government.  I am going to make Chamberlain a psychic who is taking the least worst option at all times, even at the expense of his own reputation.

I am still working out why the war is not simply a fight between superheroes.  In DC, retro-explaining, Superman was kept out of the fighting due to the use of the Spear of Destiny by the Nazis.  It’s magic subverted those under its influence and Superman is famously vulnerable to magic.  I don’t want to use that particular trope.

Doc

Well, my explanation is that "they are to valuable to waist laying dead in some forlorn land" excuse for KoE. Not that the Prime Minister wouldn't have any use for them...

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

I was thinking of Band of the Black Watch more than anything else. And not Black and Tan which is a trigger for the Irish.

But it is nice that you remember that I am Catholic.

You fellas are making me glad to be on this side of the pond, where black and tan is either a drink or a dog. 

12 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

Not quite decided on a base, the heroes are going to be a supergroup.  They will each be the strongest members of teams from around the UK/Empire, who come together to deal with national level threats.  They will be the premier superhero group in the UK, no one to turn to for higher powered help.  They will be experienced and powerful.

I am also planning to rehabilitate Chamberlain a bit.  He does appease the Nazis but has the motive of preventing a Second World War, avoiding millions of deaths across the globe.  While being a bit supine politically, he will be bringing these super humans together to undermine Nazi policy.  The players will have a few victories that prevent Britain being knocked out of the war, or subverted into a fascist society, Edward Moseley will be their biggest  meta-opponent early on in the campaign.  Britain will not fall under a fascist spell and vote in a fascist government.  I am going to make Chamberlain a psychic who is taking the least worst option at all times, even at the expense of his own reputation.

I am still working out why the war is not simply a fight between superheroes.  In DC, retro-explaining, Superman was kept out of the fighting due to the use of the Spear of Destiny by the Nazis.  It’s magic subverted those under its influence and Superman is famously vulnerable to magic.  I don’t want to use that particular trope.

Doc

Most powerful characters...but just however powerful is "Most powerful"?  Are they impervious to tank shells and artillery?  If they aren't, then deploying them on the field of open battle is probably not the optimal way to deploy them.  They are valuable scarce assets.  Risking them on jobs that can be done by a few mass produced tanks or planes is a waste.  By and large superheroes should usually be used on the kind of job that historically was carried out by commandos and covert operatives or to stop hostile superheroes doing those kind of jobs.  

16 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

You fellas are making me glad to be on this side of the pond, where black and tan is either a drink or a dog. 

This is what I was talking about. Doc Democracy and I are both British (Scottish and English respectively) and there are things that some up that mean different things to the people this side of the pond.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_Tans

26 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

So I'm guessing you don't refer to specifically-colored beagles as "black and tans" anymore?

There is also no longer a cab company who uses the Black and Tan name.

Proof: an old Three Stooges joke. Moe takes the blonde. Larry takes the brunette. Curly takes the Black and Tan. Ok...it's a verbal joke by a group known for there physically humor...

Some of the episodes of the Avengers (British TV series) might be applicable to use for the scenarios.

Some are based on foreign agents (i.e. Communists) but this could easily be changed to Nazis. For example one revolved around a mine that was abandoned after a collapse sealing people in about 10 years previously. Communists are 'invading' and are constructing a base where the mine workings are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Living_Dead_(The_Avengers)

It is repeated on ITV4 every now and again.

Not in the UK, but earlier this year one of Australia's free channels showed Barbarella. I recorded it, and now I am contemplating writing the Barbarella RPG.

I also recorded The Fifth Element and Flash Gordon, both of which have potentially useful contributions to make in such a design, at least visually.

8 hours ago, assault said:

Not in the UK, but earlier this year one of Australia's free channels showed Barbarella. I recorded it, and now I am contemplating writing the Barbarella RPG.

I also recorded The Fifth Element and Flash Gordon, both of which have potentially useful contributions to make in such a design, at least visually.

Savage Worlds now has a Flash Gordon supplement.

I have another two characters.  I asked the players to come up with the group they normally work with when not coming together as the country's premier supergroup, one of these has that information, the other is from a player more at home with FATE than HERO.

COLONEL MUSTARD

Dashing aristocratic speedster with an array of grenades and explosives. He is not the leader of his other group – in fact, he is loosely associated with several groups and seems to turn up when something looks fun.

Primarily associated with ‘The Convocation’:

UK Based around the estate of rich and eccentric Lord Lyon.

The Gryphon (HtH Damage Dealer) – Daughter to Lord Lyon. Leader of the group. Flying, Speed defence. High damage.

Lord Lyon (Mad Scientist) – Not wholly with it, but creates an array of fantastical devices. Father to the Gryphon. Occultish visions that help guide the team. Doesn’t really have an alter-ego. Very reclusive though so not really needed. Rarely leaves his grounds.

The Missionary (Tank) – Clergyman tough nut. Defensive tank with some mystical powers.

Some other notable affiliates of the Convocation:

Groundsman - Can dig really fast – was obviously created for a one shot comic but has kind of hung around

Vizier - Teleporter, Telekinisis, Shapeshifter – after last bodily transformation she is stuck in the form of a goat.

Krakenaut - Gills, Regeneration. Rival to the Colonel within the group – doesn’t think the Colonel takes things seriously enough.

NAME TBC

British chaplain , survivor of the trenches. Came out scarred by his experiences and determined to give his all to make a difference going forward, to work tirelessly (RELENTLESS FOCUS) to bring an end to such mindless suffering (LEAVE NO ONE BEHIND).

Left behind in the trenches, presumed dead. Dragged himself back to safety (REMARKABLE ENDURANCE), becoming a different man in the process (BORN AGAIN). Crisis of faith has resulted not in his abandoning his faith (PREACHER MAN) but recognises that his faith requires him to do more (ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS)

Brought together other like minded people to form an underground movement infiltrating every aspect of British life (WEB OF INVISIBLE CONTACTS), designed to steer the country & through them the world towards peace (PEACEMAKER). Recognizes that sometimes achieving peace requires the use of force to resist (FISTICUFFS) or overcome evil - believes in evil, has looked it in the eye (POWER OF PRAYER). To cope with this lives by a very strict personal code based on the concept of just war (JUSTIFIED FORCE ONLY).

1 hour ago, Doc Democracy said:

NAME TBC

British chaplain , survivor of the trenches. Came out scarred by his experiences and determined to give his all to make a difference going forward, to work tirelessly (RELENTLESS FOCUS) to bring an end to such mindless suffering (LEAVE NO ONE BEHIND).

Left behind in the trenches, presumed dead. Dragged himself back to safety (REMARKABLE ENDURANCE), becoming a different man in the process (BORN AGAIN). Crisis of faith has resulted not in his abandoning his faith (PREACHER MAN) but recognises that his faith requires him to do more (ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS)

Brought together other like minded people to form an underground movement infiltrating every aspect of British life (WEB OF INVISIBLE CONTACTS), designed to steer the country & through them the world towards peace (PEACEMAKER). Recognizes that sometimes achieving peace requires the use of force to resist (FISTICUFFS) or overcome evil - believes in evil, has looked it in the eye (POWER OF PRAYER). To cope with this lives by a very strict personal code based on the concept of just war (JUSTIFIED FORCE ONLY). 

This reminds me of the Origin Story of the Kingsmen Organisation in the Movie:

A lot of children died in the 1st World War Trenches. A lot of money that could not be inherited. Wich then went to found the Kingsman organisation. And Kingsman is actually a real Tailor.

Now of course in this world, it could be a villain organisation. On the one hand, they really do not want another war, but only for the endgoal of limiting British casualties.

They might try to start any number of local wars in a bet to avoid another WW.

If a war comes, they might work towards a quick british retreat from the mainland.

If the war comes to the shores, they might even aid the enemy in hopes of "limiting british casualties".

Colonel Mustard puts me very much in the mind of Colonel Crittenden from Hogan's Heroes.  Hopefully your character is smarter than that.

Actually, Hogan's Heroes might make for an offbeat campaign reference.  While the PC don't have to pretend to be POWs, the show could provide ideas should the characters have to undercover in wartime Germany.

Hope that helps.

As far as a reason why the war isn't just a battle between supers, I have a suggestion.

Nobody really knows how powerful they are.  Even an invulnerable brick isn't really keen on finding out how invulnerable he really is.  After all, how do you test to see if tank shells bounce off your face?  It's not something that the Allies are willing to risk.  Even once the PCs are convinced they can do more, Allied command is resistant.  They don't want their heroes running off and getting killed (and like all good patriots, the heroes will say anything to get to go to the front lines -- including lying about being invulnerable).  So the answer is always "no", at least until you decide the war is looking grim enough.

Combine that with keeping the power sets in check.  Cross-country travel in minutes combined with super-strength, amazing senses, and invulnerability means that the war should be over tomorrow.  Superman should have been able to hover over the Atlantic ocean and throw bombs at Hitler's house.  Just make sure that the heroes don't have any of those war-ending power combinations.

Finally, give Hitler some bodyguards.  He's got a handful of supers who guard Germany, the (go go Google translate) Blitzengruppe.  The Allies did send a few heroes to try and end the war (powerful ones too), and the Blitzengruppe sent back their heads.  People don't know too much about them, or how powerful they are.  They don't have to be stronger than the PCs, in fact they probably shouldn't be.  But these are the very early days of super combat, and nobody really understands things like how powers interact with each other.  A guy with 20 rPD is completely invincible, he can shrug off a bazooka.  Who would think to see if he's resistant to energy damage as well?  The Nazis got lucky with a couple of bad matchups, and now Allied command is terrified of them.  Of course the heroes will be more well-rounded by the time they face the Blitzengruppe, and they'll win that fight.

In the comics they handled it by having most of the heroes stay home and fight saboteurs, spies, and invaders as well as the usual assortment of mobsters etc.  Some special occasions they would get involved but most of the time they were not involved directly in the war.  I mean, it would demean the heroism of real people for one thing.

In my game that was going to be the approach, although I made sure the PCs were involved in every major critical event (sinking the Bismark, Dunkirk, etc)