Annoyances

Badger

Among the messes we had to solve when my mother got home from her surgery and rehab was the answering machine.

A couple of people left messages but no names (I guess assuming we'd automatically recognize voice*).  

I mean even when I call my dad and step-mom, and reveal my name in the voice mail, just in case.

*Not to mention one was semi-incoherent

Hmm, wonder if it similar to my problem driving.

on 4 lane road. If I need to make a left turn, so I am in left lane, care ahead going slowly, so I have to get in right lane to pass then pull back into left lane.   I then look back to see that same car moving into right lane to make themselves a turn.  Why couldn't he be in the right lane in the first place to save both of us trouble?

In a driving vein...

People who leave full car lengths between them and the car in front while at a light.  IN TURN LANES, especially.  Causing the cars to backlog out the rear of the turn only lane into the main lane.  Or worse...there's one particular intersection here in town.  It's a 3-way;  north-south is a major feeder street paralleling the interstate.  The E-W street is the only connection point for a good mile in either direction.  The interstate goes overhead.

So, the E-W road gets a fair bit of traffic...and there's lights on each side of the underpass.  REGULARLY, the dimwits heading west don't close up properly, AND don't understand that you don't enter the intersection until you can CLEAR the intersection.  Turn signals notwithstanding, if you can't get through don't get in.  But the major problem is the gaps the gits insist on creating, that effectively shrink the space.

40 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

In a driving vein...

People who leave full car lengths between them and the car in front while at a light.  IN TURN LANES, especially.  Causing the cars to backlog out the rear of the turn only lane into the main lane.  Or worse...there's one particular intersection here in town.  It's a 3-way;  north-south is a major feeder street paralleling the interstate.  The E-W street is the only connection point for a good mile in either direction.  The interstate goes overhead.

So, the E-W road gets a fair bit of traffic...and there's lights on each side of the underpass.  REGULARLY, the dimwits heading west don't close up properly, AND don't understand that you don't enter the intersection until you can CLEAR the intersection.  Turn signals notwithstanding, if you can't get through don't get in.  But the major problem is the gaps the gits insist on creating, that effectively shrink the space.

I admit, occasionally when making a left turn at a light, if first I might stop short of the line (though only at night when traffic is more sparse) 

22 minutes ago, Badger said:

I admit, occasionally when making a left turn at a light, if first I might stop short of the line (though only at night when traffic is more sparse) 

I don't mind a little short.  I am talking morons leaving FULL CAR LENGTHS between them and the car in front of them.  Moving?  Fine.  Stopped?  Clueless gits....

Yeah, I don't think I ever have done more than a half car length  (and like I said only during sparse traffic conditions. if I were to see a couple other cars pull up behind me, I'd pull up more as needed)

And another problem I encounter is the driver who takes 3 seconds to realize the light turned green

Some of the neighborhoods in Seattle have these tiny little roundabouts that look like someone left a potted plant out in the middle of the road. And these are narrow two lane roads with street parking on both sides. But that's not the annoyance. Not the main one.

Someone planted a red sign in one of these roundabouts that said "DRIVE LIKE YOUR KIDS LIVE ON THIS STREET."

I'm tempted to go plant a sign next to it that says "I DON'T LET MY KIDS PLAY IN THE STREET."

I also despise those stupid green plastic meeple signs that say "Slow children at play," while holding up a little orange flag. I mean, first, it's mean to the slow kids to tell everyone. Second, it's a huge visual distraction that might make me miss your kid running out from between some parked cars.

3 hours ago, unclevlad said:

In a driving vein...

People who leave full car lengths between them and the car in front while at a light.  

As a guy who has been rear-ended sitting in a turn lane, and knocked into the car in front of him--

Resulting in both a nearly four-hundred dollar ticket for "following too closely" and a healthy uptick in my insurance premiums, I resemble that remark quite a bit.  :lol:

Had that yesterday. Kitchen forgot my chicken sandwich, waitress forgot to follow up, one hour later I’m like “Where’s my food?” and she blamed the kitchen. Rest of the fam ate long ago, kids are bored and restless and won’t behave. Eventually received and ate the sandwich, then also received a bill wherein not only was nothing comped, she even added their new credit card processing fee. 

First time in in many years I didn’t tip. 

1 hour ago, death tribble said:

Wasps. The entire species. The Nazis of the insect world.

The fact that Americans call Wasps, Yellowjackets.

43 minutes ago, death tribble said:

For Americans yes but not for the rest of us. See below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket

We call them the common wasp.

Wait.  You're blaming us for Britain's one-climate-zone lack of biodiversity that led you guys to squander all your monosyllabic animal nouns on waterfowl so that when we escaped from under your heel and got to an environment where there was more than sausages that had been boiled to flavorless oblivion and we had to make names up on the fly for the things buzzing around out there?  I think we did rather well, thankyouverymuch.

1 minute ago, Starlord said:

Plus, if we didn't have yellowjackets what would we call Hank Pym's jerkoff wife-beater identity?

Easy answer. As DT stated above, yellowjacket is a common wasp, and since Janet is using 'Wasp', thus Hank's new code name would be "Common".