Annoyances

Badger

On 1/1/2019 at 6:17 PM, Starlord said:

Do you get the tissues with lotion?  They are lifesavers.

On 1/1/2019 at 6:35 PM, Cygnia said:

Not for me -- they set off my allergies.

I found that the big problem with tissues is that they are designed to fall apart and it is the stray fibres that dry out and irritate the skin.  I instead use the paper towels that you use for the kitchen.

You might think these are rougher but they irritate less because they do not fall apart and leave fibres on your skin.  They work a LOT better for long term nose wiping than tissues...

Doc

having to run errands on a Friday before a weekend storm (a serious mistake in itself, better to starve). I met most of my traveling annoyance.

At the grocery store I met:

-circle the parking lot for 30 minutes to find the perfect parking spot man

-sit there waiting for the perfect spot to magically open up lady

and on the way home

-randomly hit the brakes man (and often)

-I forgot there was a steep hill on this road, and you actually need to hit the gas to get to the top guy

7 hours ago, death tribble said:

Dick Van Dyke ...  is detestable. 

There you go.  All fixed, and far more accurate.  :lol:

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Well, the Dick Van Dyke show was fun.

Liar!

;)

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Hollywood rarely gets a Southern accent right, and that is within the same country.  

Agreed.  They don't seem to realize that not only is there more than one southern accent, there is more than one in any southern state.   They seem to pick the most backwoods bits of everywhere and throw it into a bucket and mix it in with vocabulary that is seldom used with any of the donor-accents and I just spend the whole movie (or show) cringing and feeling so awful for the actor that I tend to miss what they are actually saying.

One a note related to both of these post:

Does anyone remember Tom Bosley's attempt at a down-east accent in Murder She Committed?

Man, that was just _painful_.....

3 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Does anyone remember Tom Bosley's attempt at a down-east accent in Murder She Committed?

It's right up there with how folks insist on pronouncing Bangor. I keep on thinking that they're going to follow it up with "and mash". 

The Mainer accent starts to creep back in my speech patterns if I visit with my relatives too long.

8 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

There you go.  All fixed, and far more accurate.  :lol:

Liar!

;)

Agreed.  They don't seem to realize that not only is there more than one southern accent, there is more than one in any southern state.   They seem to pick the most backwoods bits of everywhere and throw it into a bucket and mix it in with vocabulary that is seldom used with any of the donor-accents and I just spend the whole movie (or show) cringing and feeling so awful for the actor that I tend to miss what they are actually saying.

ANd we have outliers too.  My mother being a bit of a grammar and pronounciation  Nazi, who worked on a company switchboard for 20-30 years, frequently got the comment, "You don't sound like you're from the South".

8 hours ago, Badger said:

ANd we have outliers too.  My mother being a bit of a grammar and pronounciation  Nazi, who worked on a company switchboard for 20-30 years, frequently got the comment, "You don't sound like you're from the South".

What's funny is that I occasionally have people here ask me where I'm from because I'll use "Howdy!" as a greeting; the question happens mostly in summertimes when I wear a sort of Western pattern hat to fend off scalp sunburn.  (My answer to that question is, "That's complicated.")

After two years in Clovis NM as a kid and eight years in Austin starting a decade later for a while I could do a passable Central-to-West Texas accent, but that's atrophied away.

It's been a day or two since this happened, so I think it can be taken as the general annoyance statement it's meant to be instead of being taken as a direct finger pointing:

That guy.... 

When someone posts to a thread, looking for work-around or alternate builds that aren't exactly rules-as-written...   Then everyone's creative juices get flowing and suggestions come flying in, hot coals, fast as missiles, thick as mosquitoes--the conversation just starts to really get rolling and everyone is having a great time pitching and arguing methods of rule-bending as means to achieve a particular end...  It's just awesome. 

Then that guy shows up...  To be fair, there are more than one; I chose "that guy" as an abbreviation for "that guy who sucked out all the fun by completely ignoring the conversation and using it as a springboard for why everyone is wrong because none of it is by-the-book and we're all horrible people for delving into these black-arts constructs... 

Then he won't let it go, replying to and attempting to refute everyrhing said thus far.. 

That guy who gets his jollies by killing everyone else's good time. 

Major a-smurfing-noyance. 

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

It's been a day or two since this happened, so I think it can be taken as the general annoyance statement it's meant to be instead of being taken as a direct finger pointing:

That guy.... 

When someone posts to a thread, looking for work-around or alternate builds that aren't exactly rules-as-written...   Then everyone's creative juices get flowing and suggestions come flying in, hot coals, fast as missiles, thick as mosquitoes--the conversation just starts to really get rolling and everyone is having a great time pitching and arguing methods of rule-bending as means to achieve a particular end...  It's just awesome. 

Then that guy shows up...  To be fair, there are more than one; I chose "that guy" as an abbreviation for "that guy who sucked out all the fun by completely ignoring the conversation and using it as a springboard for why everyone is wrong because none of it is by-the-book and we're all horrible people for delving into these black-arts constructs... 

Then he won't let it go, replying to and attempting to refute everyrhing said thus far.. 

That guy who gets his jollies by killing everyone else's good time. 

Major a-smurfing-noyance. 

I'm probably the guy who comes in and says something that has nothing to do with rules, but probably but not necessarily has something to do with the subject. :(