Annoyances

Badger

4 hours ago, Cancer said:

Not true.  There is a variety of wasps known as yellowjackets.  Yellowjackets are a subset of wasps, not a synonym.

And stop spelling aluminum with two i's!

Yeah, I was gonna say yellowjackets and wasps aren't the same (well you know what I mean)

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

Words spelt without "u". :winkgrin:

(I have heard that the reason is related to telegrams/classified ads etc where you were charged by the letter so dropping "u" allowed the word to still be recognised. I don't know how truthful this is.)

Words spelled with an extra U, for no reason :winkgrin:

Actually, my only really big thing with grammar and spelling is when people type that they are "loosing the game".   One O!

I won't go that far. :lol:

The only people I have anything resembling true loathing for are those people who still haven't learned to cope with their favorite candidate losing an election and move on with their lives like the rest of us, and that's only because of just how long it's been.  Fine.  Your guy lost.  Mine did to.  I got over it.  I've got the same bills to pay, the same job to do, the same family to raise, and it doesn't leave a lot of time to run around pretending I'm going to crushed between earth and sky.  Even then, like I said-- I'm not a particularly hateful person.  I just want to scream "GROW THE *()^&*) UP AND DEAL WITH IT!" at this point.

But I tell you what:

I would gladly trade the Brits a full supply of red wasps, black wasps, paper wasps, ground wasps, wood hornets, and those accursed guinea wasps for a sample of that "alyuminium."   I-- well, spellcheck, autocorrect and I-- have always wondered just what that stuff is....

22 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Someone planted a red sign in one of these roundabouts that said "DRIVE LIKE YOUR KIDS LIVE ON THIS STREET."

I'm tempted to go plant a sign next to it that says "I DON'T LET MY KIDS PLAY IN THE STREET."

I also despise those stupid green plastic meeple signs that say "Slow children at play," while holding up a little orange flag. I mean, first, it's mean to the slow kids to tell everyone. Second, it's a huge visual distraction that might make me miss your kid running out from between some parked cars.

In my neighborhood, there are signs that say "Treasured kids at play here."  Makes me wonder if some street has a sign that says, "Go ahead and speed here, we don't like these kids."

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Actually, my only really big thing with grammar and spelling is when people type that they are "loosing the game".   One O!

I've stopped caring about those.  Homonym errors are simply rampant.  Too many to mention specifics.  LOTS of them tend to be spell checkers tho.  They don't error check so much as they error induce.

Actually...that brings up an annoyance of mine.  I use a real simple checklist app for grocery lists.  It has a spell checker.  I can't turn it off;  there's no option to do so.  I'm on a phone "keyboard", I'm entering stuff for my use and my use only, so I use lots of shorthands...chkn for chicken, ssg for sausage, etc.  It bitches and tries to change it...resulting in more work.  This is a stupid-simple app so it doesn't have its own dictionary, but damn, it should let me turn off the checking.  So...anything where the software thinks it's smarter than me and doesn't let me tell it where to put that feature.  (Like most of Win 10.)

14 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I've stopped caring about those.  Homonym errors are simply rampant.  Too many to mention specifics.  LOTS of them tend to be spell checkers tho.  They don't error check so much as they error induce.

Actually...that brings up an annoyance of mine.  I use a real simple checklist app for grocery lists.  It has a spell checker.  I can't turn it off;  there's no option to do so.  I'm on a phone "keyboard", I'm entering stuff for my use and my use only, so I use lots of shorthands...chkn for chicken, ssg for sausage, etc.  It bitches and tries to change it...resulting in more work.  This is a stupid-simple app so it doesn't have its own dictionary, but damn, it should let me turn off the checking.  So...anything where the software thinks it's smarter than me and doesn't let me tell it where to put that feature.  (Like most of Win 10.)

Yeah, most of those errors I have learned to ignore, but that one I just cant seem to.

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Well if it doesn't know the word "lose", then they are "loosers"

Some people play fast and lose with spelling, but I wouldn't loose my cool over it. They're just loosers.

Lucius Alexander

Recycling a palindromedary