Annoyances

Badger

33 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Sitting with my back to the rest of the room.  Maybe I was an Old West gunfighter in a prior life, but something about having to sit with my back to the room (because other people grabbed the good chairs) bothers me.

See I'm okay with turning my back on everyone. Makes the crowd feel smaller.

Obviously I'll be the first to die when it all goes Red Wedding, but priorities

6 hours ago, Bazza said:

I presume you mean ESB and or RotJ is classed as a great movie? Both wouldn't have been made without toys. Which I'm sure you know. The whole Star Wars series is a marketing device for toys, ie a consumerist pseudo-religion. 

And ewoks are good. But my bias is that I was in America in 1983 and the day before seeing RotJ at the cinema we (family) took a road that went through Redwood Forest ie Endor. 

For me ewoks have more personality than a grunting walking carpet. And yes I watched the ewoks cartoon series though this is stretching my memory. And we got ewoks because Lucas didn't have the production budget for a normal adult size society of Wookiee, so we got "dwarf Wookiees" instead. 

And I do remember being in a warehouse in either Singapore or Hong Kong in 82 and finding a kids book expanding Chewbacca & Wookie culture and loving that. 

I find your love of Ewoks to be blasphemy.

I now must burn the heretic.

2 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Sitting with my back to the rest of the room.  Maybe I was an Old West gunfighter in a prior life, but something about having to sit with my back to the room (because other people grabbed the good chairs) bothers me.

Me too.  I always like sitting in the back so I keep my eye out for everybody.  Maybe spending 4 years as a teenager with a bunch of psychopaths probably has a lot to do with it.

Note: It also lessened the chances of me being called on.  It also helped me in elementary music class, I hated singing, and in the back I had a better chance of getting away with fakery. (our music teacher in elementary school was a mean old _____)

57 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Boomers whining about how spoiled and entitled Millennials are.

Agreed.

A lot of Boomers have no clue how much rent and or education is anymore. They think because a Millenial has a smart phone he should be able to pay for college by 'working harder'.  They assume Millenials don't want families because they're selfish, when a lot of it has to do with exactly how costly it is to raise kids and it might be seen as rather responsible to hold that off. And while I've met some Millennials I'd like to kick in the butt, you'll find those guys in every generation. Most Millenials I know face a system designed to screw them over and they soldier on in their own way, sometimes making mistakes. Just like every generation has.

Most Millenials I've met, are just so damn naïve.  Which I get, everyone under 25 in the history of forever is an idiot.   But, they just seem too clueless on life compared to kids even 10 years ago.

THe Boomers did screw up, sure.  Who I really feel sorry for though are the post-Millenials, as their parents seem to have come out of college looking to burn what is left of this place to the ground. And build it back with sticks and hay.

That is kind of why I do get on them some (though I am starting to level off things).  But, the Millenials by and large do make me hope I die relatively young, because when they start getting power, my retirement years will prove massively brutal. (assuming I have a damn chance to retire and not have to work till I am 80)

5 minutes ago, Old Man said:

My annoyance is simpler: Boomers were the most spoiled and entitled generation in American history, so to me it's a blatant case of "Kettle, you're black."  That generation got handed a world empire.  Millennials got handed a shaft.

I agree Boomers are the most spoiled, not so much your opinion on millennials getting the shaft (well they did in a few ways but not all)

Edit: And the ways Millenials get the shaft, ironically aren't what they complain about (or even usually acknowledge the existence thereof)

Anyway, the Millenial are deserving of some bit of ridicule, just maybe not as much as they get in some areas

Edit: In thinking on it, the Boomers mark the generation where parenting started to erode, in the effort to help their children survive outliving their parents.  And the millennials are the deformed inbred result 2-3 generations down the line.  So it is mostly the boomers fault.  But, the millennials I have met have shown little inclination to reverse this trend.

30 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Everyone is deserving of ridicule, even me (a little).  But they also inherited record deficits, unforgivable student loans, broken health care, two land wars in Asia, stagnant wages, and climate change, so I try to be sympathetic.

As someone who took the community college route, I am not so forgiving on the student loan part (though it obviously depends on future field they are pursuing).  At least for the first couple of years worth of college, more kids should probably consider that.

A lot of the other things, I don't know, I feel some sympathy, but listening to millennials talk of such things, most things I see them escalating things at a faster rate with their likely approaches.  To an extent, where part of me thinks, that most Gen-Xers like me, will end up dying forgotten on the streets due to the incompetent efforts of wholly unskilled millennials. (which isn't their whole fault, again boomers mostly and lesser extent gen-x).  I just don't see the millennials the solution to the problems created by the boomers.   Essentially I see the millennials trying to solve an avalanche by challenging it to a snowball fight.

Then again, my mother (born 1941) didn't have indoor plumbing in her house till high school.  So, we cant forget different problems for different generations*

*I have to admit, boomer's doings are a little bit foreign for me.  Since my parents were born during WWII, they are at the end of the previous generation, and 3 out of my 4 grandparents were also at least in their mid-30s when my parents were born.  So, in a lot of areas (especially when it comes to my mother's side) I was raised with a kind of Great Depression mindset.  I kind of skipped a previous generation (and my mother kind of skipped another one on top of that)

It's unfair to paint all "Millennials" with a single brush, just like it's unfair to paint any set of people with a single brush. However, I don't see a problem with calling out spoiled entitlement wherever it appears. If you have the energy and skills to engage in the ensuing battle, by all means go for it.

9 minutes ago, zslane said:

It's unfair to paint all "Millennials" with a single brush, just like it's unfair to paint any set of people with a single brush. However, I don't see a problem with calling out spoiled entitlement wherever it appears. If you have the energy and skills to engage in the ensuing battle, by all means go for it.

Yeah, fair enough, and I agree with you on that.   I do think judging generations is somewhat of a complicated thing.  Yes, some generations have a whole lot of crap put on there plate. But, their greatness is measured by their ability to deal with that adversity.  And I don't see the Millenials anywhere near up to such a task, that say the Depression-era/WWII did.  

Again, as I said earlier, that's seems an insult in itself.  You can fight a war but not raise decent children?  I've done both.  Raising children was the toughest thing I ever did.  Either way, each generation can only deal with what comes their way.

Now, on the subject of naivete, I think each generation gets progressively less naive and/or ignorant as they are exposed to more and more knowledge and get better educated.  If handed the Vietnam war, would people in the 20s-40s even protested that crap?  Civil rights?  Yet, each generation is equally subject to government spin.

Motivation is important.  The WW2 gen was SUPREMELY MOTIVATED thanks to a massive mistake on the part of the Japanese and they were handed the opportunity to fight true evil along with it.  Rarely, in history has such treacherous sneak attack been committed and the idea of defeating a real life supervillain presented to you.  Its been shown that if you motivate a population like that they will always fight longer and harder.  On 9/11, I thought the population responded pretty similarly.

Anyway, as others have suggested, I can't even fathom the idea of painting millions under one brush and what I stated above is merely reckless speculation.  The generation sample size being compared is rather small anyway.  What of the Civil War generation or the Revolutionary War generation or the Western Frontier generation?  All generations are tied to one another in some way or the other.

PS:  I imagine the Rev War generation would call the Depression Era a bunch of spoiled pansies.  "Aww, you don't have a job, well, IN MY DAY...."

7 hours ago, Starlord said:

Again, as I said earlier, that's seems an insult in itself.  You can fight a war but not raise decent children?  I've done both.  Raising children was the toughest thing I ever did.  Either way, each generation can only deal with what comes their way.

Now, on the subject of naivete, I think each generation gets progressively less naive and/or ignorant as they are exposed to more and more knowledge and get better educated.  If handed the Vietnam war, would people in the 20s-40s even protested that crap?  Civil rights?  Yet, each generation is equally subject to government spin.

Motivation is important.  The WW2 gen was SUPREMELY MOTIVATED thanks to a massive mistake on the part of the Japanese and they were handed the opportunity to fight true evil along with it.  Rarely, in history has such treacherous sneak attack been committed and the idea of defeating a real life supervillain presented to you.  Its been shown that if you motivate a population like that they will always fight longer and harder.  On 9/11, I thought the population responded pretty similarly.

Anyway, as others have suggested, I can't even fathom the idea of painting millions under one brush and what I stated above is merely reckless speculation.  The generation sample size being compared is rather small anyway.  What of the Civil War generation or the Revolutionary War generation or the Western Frontier generation?  All generations are tied to one another in some way or the other.

PS:  I imagine the Rev War generation would call the Depression Era a bunch of spoiled pansies.  "Aww, you don't have a job, well, IN MY DAY...."

ANd I didn't say that.  I was saying they had a trial of fire in their younger days and stepped up to it, their success or failure after that has nothing to do with it. 

I also thought about comparing to those other generation you mentioned but went with the closest for familiarity sake.

In any case the millennials still have time, I didn't think Gen-X pulled things together really until they reached 30-35 by and large.  I will say for a large number the apparent lack of knowledge for supposedly more education, does concern me, somewhat.  

Note: And too, the Boomer's parents with WW2/Depression, I do think after the war when they settled down, they became somewhat complacent.   And perhaps they became overly concerned with Communism  (which isn't the rosy lifestyle that it gets painted as sometimes in recent years, which is another thing that concerns me, by the way) instead of making sure their kids were raised right.  

13 minutes ago, Starlord said:

And if so, that is fault of the previous generation IMO.  9 times out of 10 a crappy kid is the fault of crappy parenting.

Yes, something I've been trying to imply in my post whether successful at it or not.

Just that, that is something that only goes so far,  you cant blame your parents in perpetuity, eventually you have to move past that and succeed (or fail) on your own merits.

But, indeed, we did seem to lose hold of parenting somewhere along the way as a society. Plenty to spread the blame around to.   

I don't know if we lost hold of parenting so much as make it impossible to parent effectively.  Once upon a time you could have one parent work while the other raised the kids.  Today both parents have to work while the kids are left to their own devices (pun intended).  And their jobs pay less today than they did fifty years ago, unless they're a CEO or hedge fund manager.