Extra Time (1 Turn)

Rapier

So, I'm converting AD&D spells into Hero for GenCon next year. It's been fun, but I've made some mistakes along the way that have forced me to go back through what I've already done. 

I've finished the Cleric and Druid spells and am getting into the Magic-User spells and suddenly I'm coming up against a bunch of spells that have 3 Segments (1 Segment = 6s) casting times. I'm assuming that everyone is going to be SPD 2, so it works out nicely to a 3 Phase casting time (ezpz). There are some spells that are 2 Segment (which I've given Extra Phase) castings. So I'm trying to draw the distinction between 2 Phases vs 1 Turn. At SPD 2 they are kind of the same thing (I think).

My understanding is that (again, assuming SPD 2), Extra Time (Extra Phase) means that it would take two phases and the spells would trigger/cast at your DEX on the second phase. But what about if it is an Extra Time (1 Turn)? If you start casting on Segment 12, it would take your two phases and cast at post-12 the next turn. What happens if you start to cast on Segment 6? I would think that would mean that it would cast at the VERY end of segment 6 of the next turn. But then I argued myself into a tizzy, telling me that it specifically says "Post-Segment 12) so that if you start casting on Segment 6 on Turn 1, the spell would cast at post-12 on Turn 2 (effectively taking 3 phases).

I've completely argued myself into a circle. I imagine the real quandary is because they are SPD 2 and an Extra Phase is, in effect, an entire Turn. I'm not sure going on your DEX vs post-segment is worth much of a Limitation. So before I dig myself in deeper and create a situation where I want to go back through and revisit all my previous work...can you weigh in before this argument with myself devolves into a fist fight?

--r

I don't know if this helps, but Heroic normals can be found up to SPD4 (ish).  Unless, of course, you're making a game rule that everyone is SPD2, to preserve that D&D "everyone gets a turn" feel.

And I don't know how you'd model this with HD (because I know squat-all about HD), but I would think that with "Extra Turn," even casting on Segment 6, you'd roll on until Segment 6 on Turn 2.  If it's supposed to be post-12, then I would think it would be post-12 on Turn 2.

Unless that's what you were saying; I wasn't really certain.

:)

16 hours ago, Rapier said:

My understanding is that (again, assuming SPD 2), Extra Time (Extra Phase) means that it would take two phases and the spells would trigger/cast at your DEX on the second phase. But what about if it is an Extra Time (1 Turn)? If you start casting on Segment 12, it would take your two phases and cast at post-12 the next turn. What happens if you start to cast on Segment 6? I would think that would mean that it would cast at the VERY end of segment 6 of the next turn. But then I argued myself into a tizzy, telling me that it specifically says "Post-Segment 12) so that if you start casting on Segment 6 on Turn 1, the spell would cast at post-12 on Turn 2 (effectively taking 3 phases).

You may want to start this in the "Hero System Discussion" forum to get more feedback. For now, I'm not sure what you mean by "it specifically says 'Post-Segment 12'" in your argument. Do you have some spells that have already been converted to HERO that say this? Because Post-Segment 12 is only for REC to be applied -- nobody actually acts on Post-Segment 12, so no spell should actually be triggered. It's kinda like a limbo in time, not an actual unit of time, so it won't affect when a spell triggers after a full turn of delay.

At least as far as I understand things . . . .

13 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

And I don't know how you'd model this with HD (because I know squat-all about HD), but I would think that with "Extra Turn," even casting on Segment 6, you'd roll on until Segment 6 on Turn 2.  If it's supposed to be post-12, then I would think it would be post-12 on Turn 2.

This is consistent with the 5e example - a character starts activating a power that requires a turn to activate on Segment 3.  One turn later, on her DEX on Segment 3, the power is activated.

An Extra Phase means just that - the power would activate at the character's DEX on the next phase (it requires two full phase actions).

1 hour ago, Hugh Neilson said:

This is consistent with the 5e example - a character starts activating a power that requires a turn to activate on Segment 3.  One turn later, on her DEX on Segment 3, the power is activated.

An Extra Phase means just that - the power would activate at the character's DEX on the next phase (it requires two full phase actions).

This was my initial impression too (sans the actual example in the book, which would have helped :) ). But then it was late one night and I got to arguing with myself, like I does, and convinced myself temporarily that was not the case. I'm off for the holidays (school starts Monday) so this is ALL I've been doing and sometimes I get so involved I get a little weird.