Third Edition Renaissance

Pariah

5 hours ago, John Desmarais said:

The recent Bundle of Holding renewed my interest in 3rd.)

I missed out on the bundle of holding because of a misunderstanding. I thought my wife was getting it for me for Christmas, and she thought I was just going to buy it for myself. By the time we figured out where we were, it had closed. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/23/2019 at 4:31 PM, steriaca said:

Don't forget his younger brother, Thunderbird 2/Warpath.

I found that character interesting when he was a sympathetic adversary with the Hellions (was that the name of Emma Frost's teen group that opposed the New Mutants?), less so with X-Force.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the few things I remember from 3rd Edition was the declining value of Disadvantages as you took more of the same type: the 1st two were full value, the next two were 1/2 value, the next two were 1/4 value and any more after that were worth zero.

I thought this was an interesting limiter on preventing you from loading up on Psychological Disadvantages or Hunteds. In 6E, it's simpler now, you can only take so many points from a single type.

Did anyone ever take four Psychological Disadvantages or six different Hunteds?

4 hours ago, Pariah said:

Okay, I have a couple of new characters to share: Quark and Red GiantHere's their story.

QuarkFH.PNG  RedGntFH.PNG

Talk about character portraits giving me the wrong expectations. The big barrel-chested he-man has STR 13. The athletic-looking woman has STR 35 and can grow to STR 50. Red Giant never has to ask anyone to open jars for her, unless it's to do so without breaking the jar in the process.

3 hours ago, Steve said:

One of the few things I remember from 3rd Edition was the declining value of Disadvantages as you took more of the same type: the 1st two were full value, the next two were 1/2 value, the next two were 1/4 value and any more after that were worth zero.

I thought this was an interesting limiter on preventing you from loading up on Psychological Disadvantages or Hunteds. In 6E, it's simpler now, you can only take so many points from a single type.

Did anyone ever take four Psychological Disadvantages or six different Hunteds?

I'm pretty sure I had characters that took three or four of one type.  

1 hour ago, Chris Goodwin said:

Wait, are you seriously not breaking out the specifics of their Disadvantages, just like no one ever did in the old days?  

Blame it on the format. There's only so many characters you can put in one line in this thing....

On 1/7/2019 at 9:45 PM, assault said:

I'll try to post a 3e character in the next day or so. First I need a concept. Some art might be nice too. The concept should provide the disadvantages, which is the part of the mechanics I find hardest to come up with.

I'm enjoying this thread and the 3e characters so that I can see how they compare with 5/6th edition characters (the only HERO versions I've played). I do have a copy of the Champions 4th edition BBB that I picked up used in the early 90s. I read it, created some characters, and never got a chance to play HERO until 5th edition Revised.

• 2 weeks later...