Third Edition Renaissance

Pariah

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Since I have time at work, I’ll try to make up some characters in 3rd edition.  So far I noticed that I have to read the rules carefully cause things have changed by what you get for for free and what you don’t. Example Extra Limb in 3rd grants a +1 OCV per limb.

:lol:

And check out those Endurance costs! ;)   And what it costs to get Zero END!  :)

1 hour ago, Chris Goodwin said:

There might very well be a reference to that in 1e.  The reason for doing it that way back then was that the noncombat multiple for Flight was calculated differently, such that NC Flight was always ridiculously high.  

Y

es.  That Flight-as-Super-running example goes all the way back to page 29 in 1e.

I don't know much about 3e, but I know that 1 and 2e didn't include sophisticated NCM for anything except for Flight and FTL (which we took as kind of  one-off cases, but we used it as the basis for an NCM adder, since we were looking at it right in the book.  Eventually we saw it 4e, so we figured we weren't too far astray. ;) )  At any rate, in both of those editions, the build is given as a method to model running extremely fast that includes speedster schticks like running up buildings, across the surface tension of water, etc.  It's not emphasized as being so much about the NCM.  

I didn't own 3e until recent years (friends did, so I knew it existed), when I had a chance to pick both the 2-book boxed set (no box) and the single-book perfect-bound version.  Haven't really studied it in depth, though). 

Hope you're enjoying yourself, N-B!

:)

FWIW the character I’m working on is called Elastikick. I started him out as DEX 23 but dropped it down to 18. He has martial arts - to represent his flexible body. He is a true martial artist so that’s why I lowered his DEX. He has STR 30 so one reason why I gave him martial arts so his punching is now 9D6. I don’t want to min max too much so I’ll probably keep him at this STR since I view him really strong compared to normals. (The kick though will be redefined as a “hammer” fist.

2 hours ago, Amorkca said:

I believe Hand Attack is +X Strength - only for damage -1/2= 3 points 

I think that’s how it’s written up for Sledge. (I have him somewhere). However for now I’m going exclusive but what’s written in the 3rd ed rules. In the small weapon section for Normal damage melee weapons (blackjack) it says they are built as EB (vs PD) the UNTIL Agent in the back has a billy club and is noted that it can be added to martial punch only.  The math for it works as EB -OAF No Range (it still costs END). 

15 minutes ago, Ninja-Bear said:

I was very surprised how Super Leap works. 10 pts and you double your inherent Leaping.

Third edition to Fourth Edition changes more than any other Edition upgrade. Adjustment and Mental powers were sea changes in particular along with Reduced END.

4 minutes ago, Grailknight said:

Third edition to Fourth Edition changes more than any other Edition upgrade. Adjustment and Mental powers were sea changes in particular along with Reduced END.

I’ve heard that before and I can really see that now that I’m poking around in 3rd.

4 hours ago, Ninja-Bear said:

Ok 3rd doesn’t have Hand Attack as a Power. I think I figured out though what they were doing. They just allowed to use Energy Blast (PD) - No Range with STR Damage. 

Dead on.  :)

3 hours ago, Amorkca said:

I believe Hand Attack is +X Strength - only for damage -1/2= 3 points 

That also works, but the formalization of that particular structure, as best I can recall, didn't see print until 5e, I think? 

At any rate, generally it was Energy Blast (renamed Blast in newer editions; renamed Ranged Attack in my house rules) - Ranged that was used because the STR could justifiably take a much larger Limitation, at least in pre-6 editions:

You lost contributions to _several_ Figured Characteristics, lifting capacity, throwing range / capacity, and Leaping:  all of those were built out of STR.   It was just cleaner to toss "no range" onto an EB and call it good. 

1 hour ago, Grailknight said:

Yep.   Oddly, even when I play in a 4e game (I had a co-GM that preferred it, some years back), the GM still used the older Reduced Endurance rules-- he used 4e Endurance _costs_, but the older Red END rules (priced at 1/4 "per level, though) because he found he preferred the granularity of being able to chip a power down to" just the right amount of END" you saw in your head.  That, and we both believes that the newer "reduce it twice" mode for the Zero Endurance advantage was seriously under-costed with regards to utility. 

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

You lost contributions to _several_ Figured Characteristics, lifting capacity, throwing range / capacity, and Leaping:  all of those were built out of STR.   It was just cleaner to toss "no range" onto an EB and call it good. 

I got to say in some ways I like this build better  than HA. 

Characteristics as  Powers doesn’t seem to be a thing yet in 3rd.

For what it's worth, Characteristics as Powers has been around since 1e.

There was just a different mindset in the early days of RPGs, I think.  The rules were smaller, thinner, easier to digest.  The general trend was "it's legal because it doesn't say no and it doesn't screw up anything we've got planned for this adventure."  It was more "what can I do within the confine of these rules?" than today's tendency of "what do these rules say I can do?"  It is from out of exactly that mindset that the first Ninja HERO was born! :D 

Though for what it's worth, there are examples of Characteristics taking Focus and Only in Hero ID, which seems pretty clearly something for a power-esque build. (I am not terribly familiar with 3e, as I just cribbed what I wanted and jammed it into the ol' HR notes, but in 1 and 2e, these examples are scattered through the Advantages and Limitations sections.  I suspect that's probably where you'll find them in 3e as well.)  At a later date, (turning in early tonight I deserve it ;)   ), I may find time to try to dredge you up something that specifically says "this is an okay thing to do," but at the moment, I can't think of anything other than the Modifers sections.