DEF Builds Hell

Rapier

Question

I really like what you've done with 6E. I made SO much sense to get rid of FF and Armour because (as you've said) they were just other powers with modifiers and it made no sense to clutter up the rules with silly things. I really like the changes. However (you knew a however was coming, didn't you?), there is one problem (and it's not a Hero problem but more of a problem with HD).

I'm building a Shield Spell (basically a Force Field). So instead of buying FF or Armour (like in the old days), I have to build a Compound Power. Then I have to add PD, add Resistant, Gestures, Incantations, IAF: Turtle Shell, Extra Time: 2 Phases, 1/2 DCV Concentration, Costs End Only to Activate, Time Limit: 5 Minutes + 1 Minute/Success, Requires a Magic Skill roll at -1, No Range, AoE: 4m Radius.

THEN I have to add ED and do all the same again. Not only am I finding that it can be difficult to keep track of all the modifiers and make sure they all match, it REALLY sucks up some real estate on the character sheet to have to have double the modifiers listed.

I honestly, love the concept behind the change to 6E but in this one instance it is a HUUUUUUUUGE pain in the tuchus. I don't expect Simon to go off and start coding things to make my life easier, but this has GOT to be something that is bothering others. Would it be at all possible to work in some kind of DEF power that is just a short cut for PD/ED (or if you wanted to go totally crazy and add Power DEF/Flash DEF, but those are rare so PD/ED are the real problem) so that they could be purchased in the same power and have the same modifiers applied without going through all the hassle of a compound power?

I know that when building a character you normally purchase PD and ED together and they usually have the same modifiers, and if you wanted to purchase them separately with different modifiers you could still do that with the current structure. It is just that I am constantly building PD/ED armour/force fields builds and the current implementation is really sub-optimal.

I figured it can't hurt to ask. The worst that can happen is you say no. :)

EDIT: Response

Well slap my ass and call me Sally. That is EXACTLY what I wanted. I just KNEW there had to be a way to do it, it was just WAAAAY to cumbersome otherwise. I'm going to go hide my head in shame for missing the obvious now. Don't mind me, nothing to see here, move along. 

1 answer to this question

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the 6E rules. :hex:

First off, it looks to me like you're going around your elbow to get to your hand (as they say). Why aren't you using the Power Resistant Protection? It avoids all the folderol of having to buy PD, then buy ED and do it all over again. You end up with something like this:

Shield Spell:  Resistant Protection (6 PD/6 ED) (18 Active Point); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), whatever other Limitations you want, etc., etc. Total Cost:  6 points.

If you want different Limitations on the PD and the ED, then sure, you have to use a compound power. That's just the nature of differing Limitations on the parts of what would otherwise be one power.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to say. I think the HERO System already has the elements to do what you want to do. If I'm missing something, please PM me or post a follow-up.