Sign in to follow this  
sentry0

The Turakian Age is Seriously Underrated

4 hours ago, Chris Goodwin said:

See, if this had been the back cover copy I might have bought the thing.  

Is this really what TA is?

48 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

All drawn from what's in the book, yes. With Lucius's distinctive style added, of course. ;)

Thank you. Maybe I should be in the business of writing back cover blurbs.

3 hours ago, zslane said:

Is it a good idea to crib so obviously from Tolkien though? (The Desolation of Skarm? Really?)

Given that, 1) the relatively small number who will see a phrase like "The Desolation of Skarm" and automatically think of Tolkein's line "They were come to the Desolation of the Dragon, and they were come at the waning of the year," and given that 2) of those who DO think of it, most will respond approvingly and only a vanishingly small portion (perhaps  a single individual) will sneer and say "really?", I will venture to suggest that yes, even if it we regard it as a crib, it's still a good idea.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary looms up to say that overuse of the word "looming" is not necessarily such a good idea. Everyone's a critic.

16 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Well, if anyone had the right to, it's Steve Long. He wrote extensively for Decipher's LOTR game line, including their core book.

Okay, sure, if he had used that phrase in a LOTR game, I could see the logic in that. But TA isn't a licensed Middle-Earth product, so I don't see any "rights"--be they legal or creative--that might be applicable here.

Sorry, I meant "right" as in "justification in principle and precedent," rather than legal or intellectual right. I probably should have chosen a more precise word.

Given Steve's great familiarity with the subject, I'm sure the name choice was deliberate and calculated. One can disagree with the calculation, of course. (i reacted to it similarly to you, to be honest.)

Our long-absent forum colleague and Hero Games author, Bob Greenwade, once posted a thread requesting plot ideas for a story line he was considering set in Ambrethel, involving assembling a mighty magic weapon against Kal-Turak. I only remember it because I ended up blathering out a bunch of suggestions. :P  Those were based on details found in TA, and most could also form the basis of scenarios apart from an overall quest. I think they'd be relevant to this topic.