PhilK

Anyone up for 20,000 Point Heroes?

Mechanon 3000's Big Giant Head form is 4856 points. That's not including followers, vehicles and so on.

You could probably buy a couple of them as vehicles for about 1000 points or so. Add a base (planet) or two, a whole bucket of smaller vehicles, an army...

OK, lame as it might seem, you could get most of that in under 3000 points.

20k all spent on PRE and you could make Dr. Destroyer mess his pants for a week.  That's a 4k PRE attack give or take a soliloquy.

Fun fact HD only goes to 9999 points... someone should point out this obvious oversight to Dan.

11 hours ago, archer said:

If your character is immortal and has earned 1 point per month on average for the last 2000 years, you're well over 20,000 points. (And that's not even dealing with Egyptian gods which have been around in excess of 6000 years.)

I'd imagine such a character got most of his earned points doled out as contacts, favors, and languages (which are now dead) though. :D

At some point it becomes just tedious to write down all of those contacts, favors and languages.

APG I 's Resource points (wich are a generalisation of the Equipment Pools many GM's used) has room for Contacts in the Contact/Follower pool.

Favors might fit into the Miscelanoues or Contact Pool.

Langauges either in a Language VPP, Universal Translator Talent, or the Misc Pool as well.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:46 PM, sentry0 said:

20k all spent on PRE and you could make Dr. Destroyer mess his pants for a week.  That's a 4k PRE attack give or take a soliloquy.

Fun fact HD only goes to 9999 points... someone should point out this obvious oversight to Dan.

9999 Base, plus 9999 Experience = 19,998 points.  For 5th Edition, 9999 Base, plus 9999 Experience, plus 9999 Complications/Disads = 29, 997 points.  I have a writeup I posted here somewhere for a 20k+ point character who was overwhelmingly powerful yet not invincible(some clear ways to defeat them).  

Here we go:

Pretty sure this is a 5th ed writeup.  A tad under 18k points.  

One of the things I'd recommend for such mega-writeups: Give them glaring flaws or weaknesses.  Even Silver Age Superman and Dr. Manhattan and Galactus have glaring flaws, weaknesses and limitations.  Writing up a mega-character who's "beatable" is more challenging/fun than writing up one who isn't.  Plus it fits the source genre more closely.

On 1/29/2019 at 3:45 PM, archer said:

If your character is immortal and has earned 1 point per month on average for the last 2000 years, you're well over 20,000 points. (And that's not even dealing with Egyptian gods which have been around in excess of 6000 years.)

I'd imagine such a character got most of his earned points doled out as contacts, favors, and languages (which are now dead) though. :D

You're not taking into account the number of points you lose to paying Taxes.

Well, in theory, if you played Champions once a week since 1st edition came out in...1981, earning 2 xp per week, for 38 years, and kept the same character, you'd have a 4000 point PC.  Though if you gamed twice a week and averaged 5x per week, you'd hit 10,000 points.  Of course, Superman and Batman's players have been at it for 80 years, so....

I started in early '82, but I still could justify a 4000 point character on this basis.

Start with 1e, with the 2e changes (loophole blocking), plus stuff from Champions II and III. Hmm. Not quite a 5e character, but very close.

Challenge accepted! One 4000 point 1e character coming up.

(It might take some time.)

On 2/12/2019 at 7:38 AM, assault said:

Challenge accepted! One 4000 point 1e character coming up.

(It might take some time.)

Currently stuck at around 3000 points. I'm going to have to go a bit off concept.

That's not as awful as it sounds. A lot of characters have had radical changes to them, even if they were only temporary.

I really don't remember the most amount of points I have ever spent on a character but I seriously doubt that I have ever spent more than around 2000 points on any character even when just making characters for fun.  I can't even imagine making a character with numbers high enough to need 5000 points let alone 20,000.  

The most I have spent on a character so far is 1435 points which is how much my two-headed dragon with multiform costs right now.

Characters made with 20,000 points are vastly more powerful than the cosmic beings found in Champions Beyond.  The most expense costing cosmic being from Champions Beyond costs 3,376 points

One thing to keep in mind when the point budget is unlimited: toss out "efficiency" as a design consideration.   You are basically building to concept.  You don't need a 12 SPD or 150 PRE "just because I can afford it".  You only need it if it's crucially important for the character concept.  You can spend 3000 points on perks--bases, vehicles,  followers etc---and only 500 on offensive powers if it fits the character concept.