Decreased Arc of Perception

Rapier

Question

When building Sense Powers, there are options for Increased Arc of Perception (from 180 to 240 or even 360).

I'm building a bunch of detects for the AD&D conversion (Detect Magic, Detect Illusion, Detect Weasel [I just added that one for comedic effect], etc). So far I've been using Limited Power and kind of eyeballing the Limitation level. But I was wondering what your thoughts were. I've got a couple Detects that are "10m Line Straight Forward" which is pretty shrimpy as arcs go. I've also got some that are 60 degree cones. I've done some digging through the books, but there is a LOT of material to go through and I'm not finding anything on Decreased Arc of Perception.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject I'm also limiting the range, sometimes to 10m, sometimes to 34m. So I've got the 2m x 10m line straight forward or a 34m 60 degree cone. :)

Could you lend an eyeball?

FYI, I'm finished with Cleric, Druid, and Magic-User spells. I'm smashing through Illusionist now. WHEW!

1 answer to this question

Sounds like you're really putting in a lot of work! Perhaps a LOT of work, depending on which edition of D&D you're using. ;)

It seems to me like you're handling things OK. Using the Limited Range (-1/4) Limitation, and adjusting the Range to suit the source material, works just fine as far as I'm concerned. Given that Limited Range is already a -1/4 value, you can't really go any lower without converting the HERO System to decimals, and none of these changes seem like they're worth more than -1/4.

Good luck with the Illusionist spells!